Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > April/May Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Mar 02, 2012 01:00AM) (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Please suggest books for our April/May NZ group read below. I will receive suggestions up until 15 March. A poll will then be created and will run from 16-22 March. Books will be announced on 23 March.
Please only nominate books with a NZ connection e.g. NZ author, NZ setting...
Thanks, and have fun!

Don't forget that you can also vote for a book that has been in past polls. We have missed out on reading some very cool sounding books, including those written by our very talented group members, simply because only one can win through on the day. Give them another chance!

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1476 comments I've had a trawl through my to-read list for NZ themed titles and a couple took my interest:
Mister Pip (which many of you have probably already read)
and a biography called Switched at Birth: My Life in Someone Else's World

message 3: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments I'd like to nominate Dead People's Music by Sarah Laing

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Mister Pip is a marvellous read, Kathleen. I intend to read it again, once I have read Great Expectations. This Dickens classic plays a big part in the book.
Darkpool, I see that Sarah Laing is a Goodreads author. It is always so much more rewarding to read a book when the author is available to chat to.

I'm going to nominate In Vino Veritas by Julie Thomas. I loved her other book we read together.

message 5: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 121 comments I also have Dead People's Music on my tbr pile and wouldn't mind reading it soon. I enjoyed Laing's Coming up Roses.
I'll nominate Gifted by
Patrick Evans.

message 6: by Tui (last edited Mar 09, 2012 01:21AM) (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 282 comments Have we done the Bone People? It's one of my favourite kiwi books but I've only just discovered this kiwi thread today so for all I know you've done it already. How come you speak of the April/May challenge when its only March? Is that to give time to read I guess.
I just started a thread about my own NZ book in the authors folder.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Hi Tui,

It does seem early to be sorting April/May books, doesn't it. We do this so that I can set up the poll by the middle of the month before the challenge starts. Once the poll is closed, it gives the readers about ten days to track down the book(s) before the challenge starts.
We haven't read The Bone People as a group as yet. It has been nominated once before, I think. We'll definitely include it on this poll. Thanks for your nomination and query :)

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Simpson (phillipwsimpson) | 24 comments Hi, can I nominate one of my own books please? Rapture

Thanks

Rapture (Rapture, #1) by Phillip W. Simpson

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments A colleague of mine handed me The 10pm Question yesterday by NZ author Kate De Goldi. It has been on my TBR list for quite some time.

message 10: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Mr Pip is a fantastic book. And I'd also be happy to reread The Bone People - pretty sure I have a copy here somewhere. Mr Pip is quite a short read, TBP takes a lot more effort lol.

Angie - my mum recommended the 10pm Q to me last year but I just couldnt get into it for some reason.

message 11: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Ok just trawled my to-read list.

I would like to nominate Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox

message 12: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 282 comments Is it frowned upon to nominate your own book? I have written one that's getting wonderful reviews but won't nominate it myself unless I'm told its acceptable here.
I'd really prefer someone else to nominate it.

message 13: by Darkpool (last edited Mar 11, 2012 12:57AM) (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments It is totally acceptable to nominate your own book, but allow me...
I'd like to nominate Ripple by Tui Allen.

message 14: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 282 comments Thank-you Darkpool, I'm honoured and hope someone will enjoy the story.

message 15: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Glanville (klglanville) | 6 comments I'm writing to nominate my own book that takes place in NZ and AU. Check it out and see what you think! Feel free to interact with me in the Author Corner in this group too.

Eyes Open
Eyes Open (2108, #1) by K.L. Glanville

message 16: by Neisha (last edited Mar 12, 2012 03:59PM) (new)

Neisha (womanwithtwokids) | 5 comments Hi, I would love to nominate SACRIFICE by me Neisha Nilsen
I live in Dunedin, New Zealand.
SACRIFICE by Neisha Nilsen

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Nominations have now closed. Please check out the poll and place your vote.

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Voting has closed and we have a tie for our NZ April/May group read. Choose either Ripple by group member Tui Allen or The Bone People by Keri Hulme, or read both!
Congratulations Tui!

message 19: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 282 comments Angie - thank-you. What great company for Ripple to be in - The Bone People is my all time favourite NZ book. I must read it again.

message 20: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I've set up the threads in the Group Reads folder, so feel free to add any information to these.
Tui, can you let us know the best way to track down a copy of your book. Thanks!

message 21: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 282 comments Okay,If you want the e-book its on Amazon kindle store for $2.99 in $US. Here's the link:
http://amzn.to/o6r7AT

For kiwis the best place to buy the PRINT book is on the "Book Depository" because it has free delivery and is pretty quick too. It's here:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Rippl...

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Thanks Tui. I've just ordered my copy from Book Depository.

message 23: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 282 comments Thank-you Angie - I hope you enjoy it.
I'm not sure quite how I'm supposed to deal with this. Ought I to keep out of the discussion or join in? I think I should just keep out of it unless someone has a particular question for me, or unless I'm asked to respond in some way. I'll be most interested to see any responses.
But you may be interested to know I've just recently sent a print copy to Kate Wilkinson, Minister of the Environment because Ripple is a very currently relevant story in view of the Maui's dolphin crisis, even though the setting is mainly twenty million years ago.

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Tui - We'd love you to be as involved as much as you can. It makes it so much more meaningful as we read. I've set up the 'Ripple' thread in the Group Reads folder. Use the 'Ripple' thread to share any information. Thanks for being involved.

message 25: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 282 comments Okay, I'll be involved as required. There are one or two little things that I might be able to help with over there then. Thanks Angie