Start by marking “Ripple” as Want to Read:
Ripple

Ripple

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Have you ever wondered what goes on in the great marine intellects of the whales and dolphins? What wonders might they have achieved during the tens of millions of years of planetary rule they enjoyed before humans came down from the trees?

Recently, forces from the universe decided that the time had come for humans to hear the defining story of their planet. This book is t
Published September 19th 2011 by Tuiscope

To ask other readers questions about Ripple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ripple

Jay Howard
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ripple will live with me forever. This is an astonishing work.

Tui has written a deeply moving story. I was unsure at first, but suspension of disbelief came very quickly. The descriptions are poetical and I shall be reading it a second (and probably 3rd and 4th time) just to fully appreciate the power of Tui's lyrical use of language. There are many passages that deserve to be savoured like a fine wine.

The various themes are woven effortlessly into a glowing tapestry. The love story grows aroun
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
For me, I think it was the last chapter that transformed this book from something fascinating, unusual, well researched and imaginative into something extraordinary. I'm delighted to have read it.
Vic Heaney
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have always had an affinity with dolphins and whales. I know that I was sketching a dolphin as my eldest daughter was born and I am very sad that for some reason I no longer have that picture to show her now that she is almost twice the age I was then.

One of the saddest books I have ever read is "The Last Whales" by Lloyd Abbey - I wish there were some way of making it compulsory reading for everyone on the planet so they would understand what we are doing to these beautiful, intelligent crea
Jena
(edited September 30, 2015)
I read this two years ago, and I see that it only has 99 ratings now. I'm sharing this review again, in hopes that others will discover the book, because it is intriguing and beautiful, in a mystical way.

(original review)
Every once in a while, a novel comes along that changes your perception of the world you live in. "Ripple" is such a book!

This is the most beautiful story, full of gorgeous prose and vivid imagery. It's the story of Ripple, a prehistoric dolphin who ch
Richard Bunning
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tui Allen’s book “Ripple” should be as important to new generations as Rachel Carson’s book “Silent Spring” was to mine. Carson’s grew out of a life time of interest in Marine Biology. We now understand on a scientific level that by destroying our environment we are diminishing ourselves. Allen’s book is a seminal work that takes us to the next level, more than most other work has done in the 50 years since. Allen can do for our metaphysical spirit what Carson did for our intellectual comprehens ...more
Eleni
This is a fantastic book, and one I highly recommend. It’s not an allegory, but rather a story that promotes dolphins as unique beings with their own methods of communication and life experiences. The characterization is strong with familiar archetypes that will pull you right into the dolphin world. It’s a hero’s journey that begins with overcoming adversity all the way up to self-mastery. It will make you look at dolphins a whole new way.
mountainmama
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a totally original story – of deities who allow spirits to return to life to achieve their ‘purpose.’ Ripple has been returned to earth as a dolphin, and we follow her quest to fulfill her destiny – an odyssey of seeking and learning to bring order out of chaos.

Beautifully written and impeccably edited, Tui Allen creates an underwater world filled with wonder, courage, and love. Very imaginative and deep; this story is a veritable symphony to the soul. Simply lovely.
Rebecca McNutt
description

This book is brilliant, combining what might've been just an average animal story with themes of love, fantasy and friendship. Definitely a book worth reading. :D
Kathleen Dixon
I've been humming a song all day - you know how you do sometimes. This hasn't been one of those irritating times when the song you're humming is a happy-clappy one that you really can't stand, or one that brings back sad memories, but rather the opposite. It's that hauntingly lovely song Bright Eyes which was sung by Art Garfunkel and was the theme song for the movie Watership Down. Some of you will remember it. More of you (probably) will have read the book. I think I still own a paperback copy ...more
Antony Millen
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Something in the Water"

Tui Allen's "Ripple" is a beautiful book, filled with charm and surprises and I am better off having read it, as a writer and as an occupant of Planet Earth.

It's a story about dolphins. OK, so I really did think I'd finished with dolphin stories (actually, I wonder if I ever have read a dolphin story). My children are grown and "Finding Nemo" is so ten years ago. But "Ripple" is not "Nemo". Yes, we have the undersea community and plenty of adventurous wanderers who need t
Kristin Walcott Figueroa
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is a joy to read. It is a love story between two individuals in the most traditional sense, but it is also about the love between parent and child, teacher and student, and community as a whole.

Tui Allen is a wonderful story teller. I love her writing style. The cadence of the story itself moves like the dolphins. Sometimes it is like a glissade, smoothly gliding along. At other times it’s like a carefully choreographed ballet. And still at other times it jumps and whirls with dolphin
Linda Hunter
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is every bit as good as the currently popular Life of Pi. It is so unique and engaging that even after I finished reading it, parts of it will never leave my imagination. It might be fantasy but, then again, who is to say? It was interesting that the author was able to wrap you up in the characters so well that you might forget that it was a "God" talking, or that you didn't think it was strange to be friends with a squid. What is it about? Well some say it is a romance but I thought i ...more
Karen (Kew)
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this and am still feeling a bit stunned. It's difficult to know how to describe this story. It is certainly beautiful, heartwarming, uplifting - and shocking. It has enhanced my appreciation for the natural world around me. This is a well written, beautifully crafted and thought provoking story.
Phrynne
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book with a very clever idea for getting its message across. I found the ending to be quite a shock and not something I expected would happen. I will certainly look for ways to help dolphins stay safe in the future!
Megan
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nz-fiction
Tui Allen is a lyrical author who has created something quite special with this book. This story takes on mythical proportions, and has a cadence all of its own in the language and rhythm of the story told. One of the reasons I enjoyed the book was that I felt it was being told to me - which enhanced the feeling of 'lore'.

The story takes place 20 003 214 years ago, and is told by Father Clement who is important in the Divine Hierarchy. Sister Sterne has a spirit that she believes in and is deter
Jonathan Brazee
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin this review, I should point out that while my doctoral dissertation concerned dolphin mortality, and while I might find the dolphin's dual brain or two pods' cooperation with fishermen in Brazil and Mauritania fascinating, other than perhaps orca art, I don't have any great affinity nor enamor with any species of dolphin. Furthermore, I am not a great fan of anthropomorphization. So before I even picked up Ripple, I had already two strikes against it. But pick it up I did, and Rip ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nz, animals, n-z-author
I've been humming a song all day - you know how you do sometimes. This hasn't been one of those irritating times when the song you're humming is a happy-clappy one that you really can't stand, or one that brings back sad memories, but rather the opposite. It's that hauntingly lovely song Bright Eyes which was sung by Art Garfunkel and was the theme song for the movie Watership Down. Some of us will remember it. More of us (probably) will have read the book. I think I still own a paperback copy.

W
Dennis
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book for all ages.

On one level this book is a delightful tale about a group of dolphins, living the way they should live, with all the freedom and dangers that come with a life in the wild. On another level, this book will challenge your perception of dolphins. Most of us know of the scientific evidence of the level of intelligence that dolphins display. This evidence makes us see them as clever creatures, capable of learning tricks for our amusement.

This book portrays dolphins as n
Inge Borg
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Talk about imagery. Ripple lets you glide weightlessly not only through our world's oceans but another imaginative sphere somewhere 'out there.'

It may be a book about another species, but there are parables and metaphors that will make you laugh, and make you cry; they also should make you worry. But most of all, the story of Ripple must make you think. And hopefully do something about our own world.

Well done, Tui Allen.
Bronwen Jones
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing story written by a master storyteller.
Indiebrag
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that this book has been honored with a 2012 B.R.A.G.Medallion - telling you that this book is well worth your time and money!
Victoria Ting
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ripple: A thoughtful and stylishly-written novel. After searching Goodreads for a 'book written by a New Zealander', I stumbled upon Ripple, and I'm glad I did. Everything about it looked as if I'd come to enjoy this novel, but a dolphin novel? What was there to say about dolphins? Despite these negative thoughts, it was the only novel I found that I was satisfied with reading, so I decided to give it a go.

The category, 'a book written by a New Zealander' was a difficult category for me to fill
Becky Shambley
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
To say "Ripple" is creative is an understatement. I wondered when downloading it, if I would be able to get into it, or even if I would WANT to. I am an avid lover of dolphins, and have been all my life, but never would have thought to wonder at their romances.
This gave me a hugely different perspective than any book I have read, due to the uniqueness of its characters, and of its main plot, Ripple's search for something even she could not name initially.
it is suitable for about ages 10 and up,
Brenda
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ripple is a beautifully written tale of our sea creatures thousands of years ago, and how music was founded by Ripple, showing as chaos to her family and the other dolphins around her, until she perfected her talent, which was her vocation, turning it into the music we know today.

The story was narrated by one of the deities who was watching over the spirit which would in turn be the young dolphin, Ripple. The love story which began when Pearl gave birth to Ripple, the intense love of family, wit
Bluejay44
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A wonderful book. It goes straight into my favourite book shelf and will surely be read again in years to come. I tend to race through really good books, being unable to put them down. So it is on a 2nd read that I take more time and savour the details.

I love dolphins and whales anyhow so a story based on either is worth a look as far as I am concerned.
Ripple is so much more, it contains so many wonderful characters that are now part of my extended family. It opens the mind to so many different
Zimt
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This Story is an awesome philosophical journey I will not likely forget, ever.

Ripple is an oddity among dolphins. She is always listening and searching for something. I soon guessed what "it" was but the story evolved beautifully to the point where everything is finally revealed. It was such a joy to read about Ripple's efforts in finding a way to communicate her feelings and in the end reach her destiny.

The end was beautiful and sad all in one. That was one fabulous journey I am delighted not t
Linda
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a delightful story, you can tell the author put her heart and soul into this tale. This is a wonderfully engaging story of how a single soul learned how to share the music her soul heard with the world several millennia ago. This hard fought for development brought change to the heavens and earth. This imaginative tale is told by the watching deities who give us a picture of a society on Azure and a bit of their society also. Tui Allen is a masterful storyteller, everyone will enjoy th ...more
Lucky
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I'd like this book, but I read it after a recommendation. It was great, truly great, one of the best books I read in 2012. It was lyrical, exciting, clever--pretty much all I would want in a book.

Please, give this book a shot. You won't be sorry.
Jeannie
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Original, fascinating, makes you really think and totally enjoyable about the origins of music.
Heather Thompson
  • The Tourist Trail
  • An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation
  • Where the Rekohu Bone Sings
  • Graffiti Heaven
  • Whalesong (Whalesong, #1)
  • The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches II (Keeper Martin's Tales, #2)
Mother of two grown-up children, one male and one female. Owner of one huge female cat called Phoebe.
Sailed the south Pacific in a little wooden yacht when young and met dolphins and the whales.
Keen cyclist and mountain-biker.
Living in the wilds of the western Waikato region of New Zealand, on a hilltop beside Mt Pirongia.
More about Tui Allen...

“She danced so curving, lissom,
like the laughter of the song.
She sent resounding into spaace
and down the ages long.”
4 likes