The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Intros, Questions & Suggestions > On why our group rocks.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Hey gang, you want to hear something cool? We are really, really frequently on the "most active" groups list! I LOVE that! It means people are involved and engaging. It means we ROCK. (One of many reasons why we do...) Hee!! Cheers, gang! Keep chatting!

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think it's because we're a bunch o' talkers (loquacious), just like the Girls themselves.

But I agree. We rock. I'll drink (hic) to that.

message 3: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I think it's because smart, fun, rocking people like Gilmore Girls and books. The awesomeness of this group was inevitable.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Meghan Well, get a group of smart, fun, gorgeously witty women together (with a dash of boy) and can you really be that surprised?!

But I secretly admit the following. I love opening up a new tab in my Internet Explorer. Go to my favorites list. Click on "goodreads.com". As the home page opens up after I've logged on, there is a moment when I wait, with baited breath, to see if there are updates from the Rory Gilmore Book Club. My heart leaps! Yes! There are and all is right and good.

(Yes, I'm a total nerd.)

message 5: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Tiffany Meghan, you just reminded me of Meg Ryan's voice over at the beginning of You've Got Mail when she's waiting for her AOL to connect. =)

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Tiffany, how right you are! I love that movie and I know Meghan does too. I thought of You've Got Mail right away too!

But it's true. I'm always disappointed when there are no new posts and excited when there's discussion going on.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK, I have to hijack this thread for a while, because I love this movie and it has some of the best quotes ever. And it's about bookstores, so I think it's relevent. LOL

"What will he say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer, I wait impatiently as it boots up. I go on line, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing, not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beat of my own heart. I have mail. From you."

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!"

"We're going to sell them cheap books and legal addictive stimulants. In the meantime, we'll just put up a big sign: "Coming soon, a FoxBooks superstore and the end of civilization as you know it."

"YOU, are a lone reed. You are a lone reed, standing tall, waving boldly in the corrupt sands of commerce."

"F-O-X."

message 8: by Arctic (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments we also have a really cool group avatar. :D

you've got mail was good and internet relevant, but i really loved the original it was based on, The Shop Around The Corner. I'm kind of a die-hard Jimmy Stewart fan though.

message 9: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Ditto to Alison about how this group talks about a lot of nothing, but all those nothings mean so much more than so many somethings.

Pass the tissue, Alison! And what about me wanting to be a better mother because of the way Rory and her mom are so . . . what? You know. ;)

I haven't posted much, but I love to read what you're saying.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Heather - I love old movies, too! Jimmy Stewart was wonderful. I love Jean Arthur as well, who was with him in "You Can't Take It With You" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (both Frank Capra Films). "The Shop Around the Corner" is very sweet. It certainly speaks of a different time in the world, though, doesn't it?

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The Shop Around the Corner is one of the only old movies I can get my husband to watch with me.

My favorite Jimmy Stewart movies are Philadelphia Story and Harvey.

message 12: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments definitely a different (kinder, simpler) era. don't forget Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" either, especially not this time of year. :)

Harvey is my all time favorite Stewart movie, as well as one of my favorite films ever, period. Philadelphia Story was cute as well. Katherine Hepburn is another actress I quite enjoy. I've been kind of on roll of watching her films lately, unintentionally. just recently watched Bringing Up Baby and On Golden Pond on IFC. Along with Arsenic and Old Lace (Grant/Capra picture).

also, for the record: old movies rock. gilmore girls love old movies. therefore this group rocks. :)

message 13: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

"Philadelphia Story" is a top film. I'm a huge Capra fan, so I've seen most of his films and own a good chunk of them. Oh shoot! You live in Alaska... so I can't easily lend my classic movie collection to you. Bummer. Cool that you live there, though!

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Yay! I am a crazy classic film nut and LOVE "You Can't Take it With You," although for me, its all about Barrymore and Arthur there. For Stewart, its definitely Mr. Smith or Its a Wonderful Life. I adore Stewart and Grant, but have to argue for my favorite male classic film star -- Henry Fonda! He has so many incredible films, I have a hard time listing them, I would need to break it down by decade, but if any of you have not yet seen "The Lady Eve," I suggest immediately clicking over to Amazon to order a copy. Paradise and so, so funny!

On the Capra note, have any of you seen "Meet John Doe" with Stanwyck and Coop? It has those same feeling of hope and the goodness of the common person that run through both Its a Wonderful Life and You Can't Take it With You and the pairing of Cooper and Stanwyck is one of my favorites.

message 15: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Hi Courtney...

I do like "The Lady Eve." It's a lot of fun and a better role for Stanwyck than some (she just fits the charming sneak role), but I really liked "Ball of Fire" for that kind of movie. But Fonda WAS cute!

"Meet John Doe" is another Capra. Love it, of course. Own it, too. I have, I think, 12 of his films. Most I bought, some I recorded from TMC onto DVD (because they are just so hard to find, and I just like to watch them, I don't need loads of features).

I have to be honest, of all the actors of that era, I'd say Gary Cooper is my favorite... plus he's just so sexy! I do love the others a whole lot (Stewart, Grant, Fonda, etc.), but Coop does it for me!

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I love "Meet John Doe", too. You know, I never thought of Gary Cooper as sexy? To me, he is one of those actors who just sort of exudes a deep humanity....like he carries all the world's problems with him. Barbara Stanwyck, now there's a dame. She ruled in "Double Indemnity", another one of my favorites. That movie should definitely be a favorite of this group - talk about great dialogue!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant are my favorites from that era. I love almost every Cary Grant movie I've ever seen. Penny Serenade is a good one, a tearjerker, but a really good one. I also love I Was A Male War Bride, Suspicion, The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, and An Affair to Remember. I love his performance in Arsenic and Old Lace, but I was Elaine in the play and I just hate the changes they made to the script.

OK, that decides it. Tonight it's my turn to pick which Christmas movie we watch, and I'm totally picking The Bishop's Wife.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments Alison, you rule! That is one of the greatest scenes in the history of cinema. The old movies are great! Philadelphia Story, especially. Totally love that Grant's character's name was "C.K. Dexter Haven" - totally reeks of upper-class snobbery. Just saying it makes me laugh. Has anyone mentioned "Bringing Up Baby"? Quite possibly the funniest movie ever.

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I didn't see that production, Alison, but I remember when they did it. My first date with Chris was when he was doing "Guys and Dolls" at the Black Rose! Ah, memories...

message 20: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Alison, you totally made my day with quoting that exchange! Fantastic! "That tears it." Heh.

As I said before, The Philadelphia Story is one of my all-time favorites. Brilliant acting all around.

But for great film noir conversational interplay, there was no one like Bogie and Bacall. The lines in To Have and Have Not - yowza!!!

For instance:
Slim: I'm hard to get, Steve. All you have to do is ask me.

Or:
Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

How about:
[Slim kisses Steve:]
Steve: What did you do that for?
Slim: I've been wondering if I'd like it.
Steve: What's the decision?
Slim: I don't know yet.
[They kiss again:]
Slim: It's even better when you help.

Man that Slim was SSSSSSLICK!!!

But one of my all-time favorites is The Big Sleep. I mean with William Faulkner writing a screenplay based on a Raymond Chandler novel, you know it's going to be good!

Here we go...
Vivian: So you do get up, I was beginning to think you worked in bed like Marcel Proust.
Marlowe: Who's he?
Vivian: You wouldn't know him, a French writer.
Marlowe: Come into my boudoir.

And...
Vivian: You go too far, Marlowe.
Marlowe: Those are harsh words to throw at a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom.

Hahahahaha! LOVE it!! What's so great is how because of the sensors they had all this innuendo and subtle interplay that made the most docile conversations electric with sex. That and everybody knew how to dress better. ;)

And exuding deep humanity or no, Coop exuded yumminess, too!

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I totally understand loving Coop! Coop was my number one guy for a long time, but I period in which I had a couple of run ins with truly horrid performances by Coop and a couple of insanely good performances with Fonda. One was a very early 1930s picture with Dietrich, I cannot remember the name and the other was Love in the Afternoon with Audrey. There was simply no reason for Love in the Afternoon to be a bad movie -- romantic comedy written and directed by Billy Wilder, starring Audrey, in her second or third role, as an intellectual gamine. But it stank!

I will say this. I love Stanwyck (in this huge jumbled mess of favorite actress with Bette Davis and Audrey Hepburn) and for my money, Coop may be my favorite leading man with her. They both project this simultaneous toughness and vulnerability and worked so well together. So SAD that they only had 3 movies together, one later in their respective careers.

message 22: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I have The Bishop's Wife tivoed and plan on watching it this weekend. We are having our first real snow of the year and I couldn't think of anything more festive!

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Yep, I may never leave the chair either. I love, love, love To Have and to Have Not. I have a horrid crush on Bacall in that movie and would love to have that kind of sultry wit! Ah!

message 24: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Dec 15, 2007 01:20PM) (new)

Bacall is just dripping sex in that movie, Courtney... completely sultry. And sassy and smart. With that voice, too... even I have a crush!

Sultry is one of my favorite words. I aspire to be it.

message 25: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Thinking along these lines, Eva Marie Saint and Cary Grant on the train in North by Northwest... fantastic!

Eve Kendall: I tipped the steward five dollars to seat you here if you should come in.
Roger Thornhill: Is that a proposition?
Eve Kendall: I never discuss love on an empty stomach.
Roger Thornhill: You've already eaten!
Eve Kendall: But you haven't.

The "love" was originally "sex" but the sensors made them change it! If you watch the scene, you can see her lips saying "sex!"

I know this film is a whole other era, but that scene is pretty hot!

Alison, all I can say is... yum! Such a great line!

message 26: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Dec 15, 2007 01:35PM) (new)

More...
Roger Thornhill: When I was a little boy, I wouldn't even let my mother undress me.
Eve Kendall: Well, you're a big boy now.

and...
Eve Kendall: I'm a big girl.
Roger Thornhill: Yeah, and in all the right places, too.

again...
Roger Thornhill: How does a girl like you get to be a girl like you?
Eve Kendall: Lucky, I guess.

Yummy.

message 27: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, I can't keep up with all these threads so pardon me as I'm a little behind the times. But, I am in love (or I guess was in love) with Gregory Peck. That man made smart sexy.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Roman Holiday!

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments Gentleman's Agreement! The Guns of Navarone!

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Have you ever thought about how many page-to-screen classics Peck has done? To Kill A Mockingbird, Moby Dick, Snows of Kilimanjaro...

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments You should definitely see Guns of Navarone. Gregory Peck is awesome, of course, but David Niven steals the movie.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I heart old movies.

message 33: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I heart old movies too. Big time. In fact, there is no other category of films I have more of!

I missed the Gregory Peck run, so here's a great one I would have added:

Twelve O'Clock High!

I own three of the four you all mentioned with Peck. But man, he was fantastic in To Kill a Mockingbird! Such a brilliant movie... which also happens to be one of my favorite books.

I've loads of Hitchcock as well. I especially like Rebecca - I mean it's how I got into the book, and it's also a favorite! Of his films from the 40's, Suspicion, Saboteur, Spellbound, and Notorious are all good.

message 34: by Sera (new)

Sera Yay to Guns of Navarone and To Kill a Mockingbird, which is one of my top all time favorite books. Hitchcock's Rebecca is also an excellent choice.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yes, Olivier was Maxim de Winter in Rebecca.

message 36: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Olivier was H-O-T as Maxim, too.

But Fontaine stole that movie - such a great performance. The transformation of her character was really well done.

message 37: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I watched "Vivacious Lady" with Ginger Rogers & Jimmy Stewart the other day and jotted these down just for this thread!

Bathroom attendant: If my husband wouldn't let me smoke I'd find me a way to get me a husband that would.
Francie: Depends upon what you enjoy the most.

(regarding her husband dancing with another woman)
Francie: If she gets any closer to him she'll be behind him.

Helen (the other woman): Now are you going to mind your own business or must I really give you a piece of my mind.
Francie: Oh, I couldn't take the last piece.
(a hysterical slapping scene ensues and turns into a brawl... in formal dress)

Okay, the first one was the raciest, but I thought all of them were really funny... especially with the speed in the delivery!

message 38: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Oh my! I love, love, love Hitchcock. I especially love Ingrid in Hitchcock movies, but I just saw I Confess last weekend and it was fantastic! Absolutely fantastic.

As for Olivier, I think he will always be Heathcliff to me as well because that was by far the first movie of his I saw many, many, many ice ages ago. But I think he will also always be Hamlet.

message 39: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments As for Ginger, I must commend the Fred and Ginger Ultimate Collection to any fans and say that ANY bad day can be cured by some campy Fred and Ginger fun. I love her dry wit, who knew!

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love Ginger in Kitty Foyle.

message 41: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Ginger is so much more than Fred-and-Ginger. She really was a good actress - without any dance. She was also stunning, of course. I really like her a lot. She's on TMC tomorrow in "Bachelor Mother." I'm recording it.

But because it is such a great quote...
"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." - Ann Richards

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The Major and the Minor was a cute movie too. I like how she was supposed to be 12 but she acted like she was 5, and the only person to call her on it was a kid. None of the adults knew the difference. But really, when you think about it, it was kind of disturbing how this grown man finds himself so attracted to a girl he believes to be twelve and who's acting five.

message 43: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I agree completely! Our very oldest cat, who we rescued last March, is named Ginger Rogers (yes, all our cats have middle names) in her honor because we love her so much. But while I completely agree she was way more that the F&G combo, I LOVE her in the F&G combo. She was so completely and utterly FABULOUS in her own right, funny, charming, witty, beautiful and gorgeous. Has anybody seen Stage Door or Golddiggers?

message 44: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I loved Stage Door! I never realized, either, how beautiful and funny Ginger was until I saw some of her movies. I always thought she was just a dancer. What about Shall We Dance? That was a great movie! The scene where they dance on rollerskates was amazing!

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Shall We Dance is my all time favorite Fred and Ginger movie. I love when he dances with all the Ginger look-a-likes.

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments And, what about all the great Gershwin songs! I love Gershwin. Did you ever see the stage musical Crazy for You? Amazing. That started my love affair with his songs.

message 47: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I-LOVE-THIS-GROUP!!!!!!

Shall we dance is one of my all time favorites as well! Probably me most favorite I had a hopeless life-long crush on George Gershwin (since the first time I heard Rhapsody in Blue) before I discovered his compositions for F&G and my crush has gotten nothing but worse!

I haven't read Ginger's biography but my P has and she said that they took like 150 takes of the roller skate scene. Totally amazing. My favorite song sung by the pair might be, however, a Fine Romance from Swing Time. Ginger is just so witty and charming!

I also LOVE singing, either with Ginger or horribly, loudly and without accompaniment, Ginger's version of "We're in the Money" from Golddiggers and attempting to see how much pig latin I can manage.

But she and Kate Hepburn in "Stage Door" really do take the cake for me.

Did anyone know that TCM is doing a New Years Eve F&G marathon? We own all their movies, but I still kind of want to Tivo or watch it. I hate going out on the Eve anyway -- years of working as a fine dining waiter has made me cherish my own private Champagne fest for two -- and what a fun way to ring in the new year?

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) ACK! Thanks for the heads up, Courtney! I'm setting my TiVo right now! We're having a NYE party so I can't watch them, but that is why God created TiVo.

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I love Gershwin, too! Have you ever seen Disney's Fantasia 2000? It has an amazing segment using "Rhapsody in Blue", animated by Al Hirschfeld. The segment is a montage of New York city scenes, and there's one part where the camera comes flying into a window....and there's Gershwin playing his piano! Omigod, I absolutely lose it everytime I watch it. I am about to burst into tears thinking about it. There is something about "Fantasia", the animation combined with that great classical music, it just kills me. But, I do love Gershwin. My sister once referred to "Rhapsody in Blue" as "the American Airlines song" and I just about punched her lights out.

message 50: by Sarah (last edited Dec 24, 2007 10:02PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think Rhapsody on Blue is used on United, isn't it? My husband loves that song.

"I like a Gershwin tune, how about you?"

I just love show tunes. Especially old ones. Gershwin, Berlin, Hart, Kern, Rogers, Hammerstein, Porter, Lerner & Lowe, etc.

I think Shall We Dance might have been the only Fred & Ginger movie that the Gershwins composed for. Many of their others were Cole Porter or Irving Berlin or Jerome Kern, if memory serves. It's amazing how many songs from Fred & Ginger movies have become standards.

« previous 1