Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) Darkly Dreaming Dexter discussion

Who out there likes Dexter?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Who LOVES or LIKES Dexter? Please answer.

Tiffunee I love the series and the books. I am in love with this twisted serial killer

Britni Love Love Love both the TV series and the books!

Cyndi I love both literary and film Dexter. The character is awesome!! Occassionally folks remind me that he is a killer...because I idolize him. I love The Dark Passenger and his self deprecating unawareness...he is so literal on the outside. Look forward to each novel and each season of the show.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I've never read the books, but I watch the show.
I LOVE Dexter Morgan, because of the fact that he makes things right with killing all the bad guys.
I know that's twisted, but I just do.

Tiffunee I am hoping deb does not freak out next season.

Tracy LOVE the series and the books! I am sooooo anxious for the next season to start after then way it left off with Deb finally seeing Dexter kill someone!

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I hope they don't go there with Deb and Dexter having a love thing going on.
Ooops, this might have been a SPOILER for someone.

Ashley LOVE dex! :)

message 10: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee Great... Dexter for the win!

Tracy Teresa wrote: "I hope they don't go there with Deb and Dexter having a love thing going on.
Ooops, this might have been a SPOILER for someone."

They were married in real life, but are divorcing...I would think it would be awkward if they did that lol

Kirby Tiffunee wrote: "I love the series and the books. I am in love with this twisted serial killer"

lol- me too!

Shanna Yep Dexter is great, love both tv and book.

message 14: by MoNique (new) - added it

MoNique totally in love with dexter. best series & books!

message 15: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV I refuse to answer.

Shanna Pleading the fifth?

aPriL does feral sometimes The books themselves are seductive with good writing and blistering situations that shock and force thoughtful assessments. Brain candy. However, the darkness is not in the characters, it is in that we readers are attracted.

Kristin I read the first book when it first came out and COULD NOT WAIT for another!! Then the series came along and I became obsessed. The second book was as good as the first, but after that I feel the books took a weird turn. I still watch the series but no longer read the books. Did they get any better? SPOILER: I didn't like the Aster and Cody killers in training stuff

message 19: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon I love the books, but I actually think the show is better

Dana * I love the books and enjoy the show, they each have unique qualities that make them good.
I have to say , though, that I am getting tired of the same plot each season on the show. How many fellow killers can one guy run into in his life. You think they would at least have a union or club or something, since there are so many. His brother, then that politician (Smits), then the freaky fire setting lady, then the best one Trinity, then Lumen. They must at least have a secret handshake so they recognize each other.
Still, great story lines in the book. I was hoping that Doakes would be on the show with no tongue, that would have been an interesting character.

Shane Liked the first book. Thought the other two were a bit silly. TV show is FAR superior.

message 22: by Evi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Evi Am I the only one who didn't really like the first book (as much as the show)? I'm very fond of the show, it's amazing. But the book is a bit too dreamy for me. It's more down-to-earth in the show, which I like.

Shane Yeah, I think so too!

Susan I loved the tv show so much, I read the book. TV show is better, but book was good.TV show is addictive!!

message 25: by Will (last edited Mar 22, 2012 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV Shanna wrote: "Pleading the fifth?"

;)

Barbara Teresa wrote: "Who LOVES or LIKES Dexter? Please answer."

Teresa, there is a legion of us out here who adore Dexter. I watch the series religiously and have read all the books to-date.

Barbara Will wrote: "I refuse to answer."

Why??

PrimalAwakening Even though I found the books to have differences to the TV show especially to do with the storylines and I also found that there were moments in the show where criminal evidence wise things would not happen in real life but nevertheless I enjoyed both the books and the show.

aPriL does feral sometimes When it comes to Dexter, I can't get enough. I buy the books, listen to the audiobooks occasionally, and have seen the TV show. This series pushes all my buttons, starting with loving to read clever books.

message 30: by Tim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tim Schultz I really did not like the books, especially after the first one, but I am a big fan of the tv show.

Barbara I read the books and found them entertaining. However, as usual, the tv version has the time and ability to flesh out the character and plot more thereby making the televised version much more interesting. The only reason I subscribe to SHO is to see Dexter and when it is cancelled I will cancel my SHO subscription.

Tracy Will wrote: "I refuse to answer."
why?

Elicia Clegg Tim wrote: "I really did not like the books, especially after the first one, but I am a big fan of the tv show."
I am with Tim I didn't like the books, Dexter came off as a bit condescending and well rude, whereas in the tv series he at least attempts to see others as people.

Susan The show is better than the books because Michael Hall has the character of Dexter nailed! He is amazing in the role. I cannot imagine any other actor portraying Dexter as convincingly as he does it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I love book Dexter more than TV Dexter: he is much colder and less human in the books.
I love Michael C Hall and he does an amazing job in the tv series, but it's easy to sympathize with the somewhat softer Dexter of the series, in my opinion.
The books are more shocking, because the readers end up agreeing with him sometimes anyway - and it's a lot more creepy to realise that you agree with a monster.
The books kind of push the readers more to think.
In terms of series, I like the TV series more than the books, so far, but I only read the first 2 books.

message 36: by Alex (new)

Alex Laybourne I am a huge fan of the series, and have just finished the first Dexter novel. I thought it was great. Different enough to be enjoyed and sarcastic / cyinical enough even for my tastes. I'm now reading the second book and love it too.

message 37: by Pam (new) - rated it 1 star

Pam The show is very good, but the books are TERRIBLE!!! The first book is contradictory, the characters are flat and unrealistic, the narrator is an idiot (as in saying, "I'm not going to just drive around town on a psychic trip" AND THEN DOING JUST THAT!). The show fixed a LOT of the discrepancies found in the books, rounded out the characters, improved the dialogue, and filled in many of the plot holes, especially that big ol' gaping one at the end of the book.

TV series, yes. But the books... I'm sure they'd be good for leveling out a wobbly table or the like.

message 38: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Burnham I LOVE Dexter...It's the only series on TV, (Showtime) that I watch. IT is excellent.

Valerie Thorpe Love the series... have the books too but not sure I want to read now :(

Lylabean I really enjoy the show but am less keen on the books. I liked the first two but found the third a rather uncomfortable read and not just because of the way the plot unfolded.

message 41: by Lucy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucy Leblanc LOVE the TV series and think the books are good. As many of the other commenters have noted, the book is darker and the Dexter character is not as likeable as the one portrayed by the amazing Michael Hall. The books tend to lean toward the occult and have a certain uneasy feel about them. This being said I enjoy the twists and turns in the plot and the use of black humour throughout the books. I have read all the Dexter books and have enjoyed the first one and the third one the best. Worth a read if you are a true Dexter fan.

message 42: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Burnham I LOVE DEXTER. :) The best

Sheila I Love Dexter and Michael Hall is great. I am saving the books for when Dexter the show is done. Plus I will always say the show has the best intro. Dexter and breakfast is somewhat sexy

Cindee I LOVE DEXTER! Both the books and the TV series. The concept is just so clever, who would have thought - a bad guy killing other bad guys and ultimately doing the world a favour. Of course, in the novels, he's not supposed to be romanticized but I can't help it; there is just something about him, the way he fights his dark passenger but then learns that it is a part of him. It's like he KNOWS he is evil and can't help it, yet he tries anyway. I love his quirky, black humour and his cynical nature. He is a truely unique creature. I am in agony waiting for the next season of Dexter!

Victoria Pearson Cindee wrote: "I LOVE DEXTER! Both the books and the TV series. The concept is just so clever, who would have thought - a bad guy killing other bad guys and ultimately doing the world a favour. Of course, in the ..."

Is he really evil though? The chivalrous Knights of old were not seen as evil for slaying dragons....

Alice I don't watch the series but I LOVELOVELOVE the books!
I re-read each new one 3 times..I can'y get enough of Dexter.

@Victoria, He's not evil he's mentally ill.

Victoria Pearson Alice wrote: "I don't watch the series but I LOVELOVELOVE the books!
I re-read each new one 3 times..I can'y get enough of Dexter.

@Victoria, He's not evil he's mentally ill."

I sometimes wonder if he suffers from autism (explaining why he is rubbish in social situations and reading facial expressions/understanding emotional reactions) but that Harry misinterpreted it as a trauma response. I often wonder if Harry had gotten Dexter the appropriate support instead of teaching him the Harry Code, would he ever have needed to kill at all?
Of course then you are looking at one short, boring book lol

Stacey I read the books before I realized there was a TV show and I really ate up the first three books but I haven't read any of them for probably 3 years or more. I have been meaning to buy another but haven't got there yet. As far as the TV show goes, I am interested in it because of Michael C. Hall (LOVE him in Six Feet Under) but, again, haven't got there yet. I purchased the first two seasons on the cheap and do hope to watch them someday soon.

Now that I am reminded and thinking of it, I am going to get myself the next Dexter book!

Alice Stacey wrote: "I read the books before I realized there was a TV show and I really ate up the first three books but I haven't read any of them for probably 3 years or more. I have been meaning to buy another but ..."

I read them all in print & audio. The original narrator, as well as Lyndsy himself as narrator really put some extra dark into it.

message 50: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Broeker For some crazy reason I like this show. Obviously the idea of liking a serial killer is absurd. But the author portrays Dexter as growing up in a horrific environment and it is hard not to feel sorry for him. The show is rather humorous at times. Especially when Dexter tries to figure out how to deal with women. All men go through such insanity. The idea of vigilante justice is appealing though highly impractical.

« previous 1 3