Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > The problem with Good Reads ...

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary (marybt) | 336 comments ... is that people recommend books faster than I can read them! lol.

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments Yep, yep yep. That's why you end up with thousands of books on your TBR list. :)

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Underwood | 267 comments My only problem with Good Reads is that you can't rate a book by 1/2 stars. Sometimes a 1/2 makes a difference.

message 4: by Mish (new)

Mish Megan wrote: "My only problem with Good Reads is that you can't rate a book by 1/2 stars. Sometimes a 1/2 makes a difference."

I agree Megan

message 5: by Viola (new)

Viola | 1014 comments Megan wrote: "My only problem with Good Reads is that you can't rate a book by 1/2 stars. Sometimes a 1/2 makes a difference."

Totally agree!

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments The one thing that bugs me is that when I accidentally add a book to my "currently reading" area, I can't delete it. Unless someone knows a way to remove it that I'm not seeing.

message 8: by Bookworm Adventure Girl (last edited Mar 01, 2012 05:41AM) (new)

Bookworm Adventure Girl (bookwormadventuregirl) Terri wrote: "The one thing that bugs me is that when I accidentally add a book to my "currently reading" area, I can't delete it. Unless someone knows a way to remove it that I'm not seeing."

Hi Terri,
You can take it out of the currently reading area by changing it to "read" or "to read". You can also delete a book from your shelves if you want to get rid of the book all together. If that's what you want to do let me know and I will try to help.

Elizabeth (Alaska) There is a little "x" on the far right of your shelves. Click it, and a small message comes up that says "do you really want to delete?" or something close to that. Click yes, and the book is zap gone.

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments THANKS Jolene & Elizabeth! I've been marking them as finished just to get them off the list--which is NOT good in my opinion. I'll go fix them now. Thanks so much!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6..."

Thanks for sharing that!! That actually made alot of sense!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (marybt) | 336 comments haha. Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth. I got a kick out of the precision vs. accuracy discussion. I've had the same one (but not with ratings, it was a weight loss contest). We math nerds just can't help ourselves, we twitch when we see an average of 3.57 when the choices are only whole numbers.

message 13: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:26AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I don't really care one way or the other about 1/2 stars, but my reviews often say something about being just at the line between one ranking or another, occasionally about being right in the middle. And if you really want to say it was only a 3.5, there is a review. You are actually allowed to say something in the review box and tell other readers what you thought.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4843 comments It has happened to me where I accidently added a book to my currently reading list and couldn't delete it.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments Totally agree with Megan!!!

message 16: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (tyleralysea) | 63 comments I wish there was a way to track re-reading- there are a couple of books I re-read every years like the Ender's Game books and I can't track them on here while I'm rereading them without changing their read date.

message 17: by Viola (new)

Viola | 1014 comments Tyler wrote: "I wish there was a way to track re-reading- there are a couple of books I re-read every years like the Ender's Game books and I can't track them on here while I'm rereading them without changing th..."

Absolutely agree!

Elizabeth (Alaska) You are welcome to join the Feedback Group and express your wishes. GR has used these requests in the past to enhance your site usage experience.

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments Tyler: Maybe in the review section you could put a line at the beginning that you update: Times read: l8 (or whatever number). At least then you could keep track.

message 20: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments Another way to track re-reading is by your bookshelves. I usually have a shelf for every year: Read-2009, Read-2010. So if one book has multiple Read-XXXX then I know I re-read it multiple times and what years.

message 21: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (tyleralysea) | 63 comments Those are awesome suggestions y'all, thanks! But what about for the challenges do you you count reread books in your total number of books for the year?

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan Underwood | 267 comments Tyler wrote: "I wish there was a way to track re-reading- there are a couple of books I re-read every years like the Ender's Game books and I can't track them on here while I'm rereading them without changing th..."
I know in the edit section of a selected book you can include the number of times read, but it sounds like you want something more detailed.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Tyler wrote: "Those are awesome suggestions y'all, thanks! But what about for the challenges do you you count reread books in your total number of books for the year?"

I've only done the challenge once before, and that was last year starting in October, so I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but since nobody else has answered your question, I thought I'd at least throw my 2 cents worth in. :) I am planning on rereading The Giver in a couple of months, and I fully intend to count it towards my total number of books read. I think as long as you're not reading it twice or more in the same year, it ought to count toward your total. If you're reading it twice or more in the same year, it probably ought to count only the one time toward your total. But that is, of course, just my opinion on the whole matter. I know some people are more strict on the rules of challenges, and some challenges don't allow rereads, but I don't think that the book count is one that has that stipulation since it's a site-wide thing and not one that any one group is putting on.

message 24: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 13, 2012 09:33AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Only the Read date will put a book on the site-wide challenge. If you have it marked as read in 2011, it won't count for the 2012 challenge. At such time as you re-read it, and change the date to a 2012 date, it will be removed from your 2011 challenge total and widget.

Rereading is one of the most oft requested features. The developers are aware of users wants.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 231 comments I don't count my re-reads which is not looking good for my numbers this year! But I wish I could maybe have a challenge only counting fiction & a separate for non-fiction. I make personal goals each year to read a bit of both otherwise I could read a zillion trashy novels & reach a super high number but not really enjoy the challenge as much!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 30 comments . . . is that they got rid of bookswap!

message 27: by Nell (last edited Apr 01, 2012 11:25AM) (new)

Nell Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Only the Read date will put a book on the site-wide challenge. If you have it marked as read in 2011, it won't count for the 2012 challenge. At such time as you re-read it, and change the date to a..."

One way around this is to post the re-read as a different edition of the book. There are usually several paperback editions. I did this with the one book I re-read last year.

message 28: by Nell (last edited Apr 01, 2012 11:27AM) (new)

Nell Beth wrote: ". . . is that they got rid of bookswap!"

I still miss GR bookswap too although I switched to www.booksfreeswap.com and swap books there. It's the swap site most like GR's. The receiver pays postage and the costs are lower.

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson The other problem is going insane adding books that I've read to my shelf - I will NEVER finish!

message 30: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 105 comments The only thing that bugs me about GR, is actually just a site feature ... the "alerts" are confusing. You can get an alert from a thread you posted to months, or even years ago, and the alerts don't seem to be in order most of the time. I care more about something I have recently commented on than something I commented on 500 people ago lol