THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Relative Links in Book Previews

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 4 comments Is it a known bug that in-text links don’t work in the eBook Previewer? If you look at the Technical Details section of my book there’s a link to the Trigger Warnings section in the back, but the in-text link doesn’t work because it tries to render it as a relative GoodReads link. That seems like a bug, but I'm not sure.

http://www.goodreads.com/reader/19301...

I was directed by another GoodReads Librarian to post the issue here. Thank you. :)

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Ana wrote: "Is it a known bug that in-text links don’t work in the eBook Previewer? If you look at the Technical Details section of my book there’s a link to the Trigger Warnings section in the back, but the i..."

We do not support hyperlinks in ebooks, unfortunately. So it's known, but it's not a bug. We generally recommend stripping out the links before uploading ebooks.

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 4 comments Patrick wrote: "Ana wrote: "Is it a known bug that in-text links don’t work in the eBook Previewer? If you look at the Technical Details section of my book there’s a link to the Trigger Warnings section in the bac..."

But this isn't a hyperlink in the sense that it goes to an external site -- it's a hyperlink in the sense that it goes to a position in the book.

My chapter "Technical Details" has an in-book link that goes to the chapter "Trigger Warnings" so that a reader can determine if there's anything in the book they don't/can't read. The TW section is in the back because it's spoilery.

I assume, but haven't tested, that all superscript references that point to the back reference section are also broken. And I would imagine that the in-text TOC has the same issue, etc.

This surely can't be intended behavior. :)

message 4: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 4 comments And I surely cannot strip out the links for the preview because then the bought file would be severely different from the file as bought on other sites. :(

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Ana wrote: "And I surely cannot strip out the links for the preview because then the bought file would be severely different from the file as bought on other sites. :("

The links won't work regardless of where in the book or out of the book they take you. I'm sorry if this is an inconvenience, but there's not a way that we can make the links in your book work.

message 6: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 4 comments Patrick wrote: "Ana wrote: "And I surely cannot strip out the links for the preview because then the bought file would be severely different from the file as bought on other sites. :("

The links won't work regard..."

Ok, thank you for letting me know it's a known issue. I will inform my readers on my re-direct page. Thanks! :)