Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

The Mane Event (Pride, #1)
This topic is about The Mane Event
Archive (Buddy Reads) > Buddy Read - The Mane Event

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments This Buddy Read is open to anyone.

Duration: 3/1/12 - 3/31/12

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) I'm in! Will start in about a week.

If anyone wants to borrow this, I have it as a Kindle lendable, just ask!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Yay!! So excited to read this. I've been looking at this author and book for awhile.

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments I'll dig out my copy. I reread this one earlier this month. I love Shelly Laurenston's books, especially her Pride books. Her female characters are strong and capable (and often just a tad bit crazy) and fun. Loved her lion shifters!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Great! Welcome Sandra J. It's nice to have someone who's read her books. I have no idea what to expect.

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Oh, boy. Are you in for a ride! OTT characters ahoy!

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 140 comments I'm about halfway through the first story. It's great humor, definitly, and like the animal characteristics the shifters have - like the male lions growing a mane really fast.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I will be starting this today. I have to sub until 2pm and finish another book. I'm so excited!

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments I love Dez and how she keeps Mace on his toes. She doesn't take anything from anyone. Talk about an alpha female! I enjoyed the humor in the book.

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) Oh cool, more people joining us! I plan to start this one Sunday (I hope). I need to finish my current book, then it will be next.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Welcome Lady Jaye!

I am on page 111 so far. I love Mace and Dez. And the humor is great. I have some issues with it, but I will wait until everyone is finished to talk.

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) I'm starting this one today! I hope to make it through the first half today, but lots of weekend chores too. How are you liking it so far?

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Hi, I finished this late last night. It was a fun light read. I would label it erotica more than paranormal romance. The characters are pretty funny and the dialogue is hysterical. There's a scene with the lion shifter and some dogs that is one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. I would've liked more world building and more action. That's often my problem with erotica. I get tired of the sex. Hard to believe, I know. I'm interested to know what you think.

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) I'm only 5% into it now, but I should have a few hours tonight (knock on wood!)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Sounds good! Enjoy the book. It's a pretty crazy ride.

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) I'm finally at 35%, I've had so little time to sit and read. :-( But I can see what you mean about it being more erotica, LOL. She does throw in a fun story for good measure, but the humor is nearly all sex humor. Definitely a 'suspend your disbelief at the door' kind of read, but I really am enjoying it. I too don't read a lot of erotica as I *need* a solid story to go with it. But I do like a good dose of spice, and this one has that. I hope to finish this tomorrow or Saturday.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I'm reading Dragon Actually this month and I just found out that this is written by Shelly Laurenston as well, writing under a pseudonym. I'm interested in seeing if it has more world building in it. I've heard mixed reviews on that book as well.
No hurries on the reading! I completely understand how life gets in the way. Were you aware that it's actually 2 separate stories?

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) I didn't realize it was two stories until after I bought it and read a few reviews, but that's cool. I just realized G.A. Aiken is the same author too. This is a new author to me. I kept hearing about her on the reviews for Playing for Keeps and Perfection. Those books are hilarious!! And very sexy, but with much more of a real story behind them as well.

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments The other books in the Pack and Pride series are full length novels so there is more plot and character development. They're still funny though and definitely OTT. Mitch's book is The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3) by Shelly Laurenston .

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I'd like to read a full-length novel of hers. I liked "The Mane Event", I just wanted more. And Sandra J, what does OTT stand for? So curious!!

message 21: by Sandra J (last edited Mar 09, 2012 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments OTT means Over the Top, and these books sure are a good definition of the term! I have to admit I really (really, really) like Laurenston's shifters. Her females are alpha and don't mind kicking butt and are a good match for her males. Can you tell the Pride series is one of my favorites? :-)
PS I didn't care much for Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6) by Shelly Laurenston which is Smitty's book, but I loved Mitch's book.

message 22: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Mar 15, 2012 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) I finally finished it Leslie! I did skim the last story a bit, but it was a fun read. Definitely not to be taken too seriously, and not to be read if you're in the mood for a dark gritty PNR. I loved the humor the most. The plot and world building were a bit thin, but it certainly worked great for this kind of story. And you're right, lots and lots of sex scenes. Wow. I skimmed a few of those too. I must be getting old.