Start by marking “Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)” as Want to Read:
Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)

Big Bad Beast

(Pride #6)

When it comes to following her instincts, former Marine Dee-Ann Smith never holds back. And this deadly member of a shifter protection group will do anything to prove one of her own kind is having hybrids captured for dogfights. Trouble is, her too-cute rich-boy boss Ric Van Holtz insists on helping out. And his crazy-like-a-fox smarts and charming persistence are making ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Kensington Publishing Corp (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Big Bad Beast, please sign up.
Maria No, it is quite possible to read a book as a standalone. However to get the most out of the books, and to understand the subtext as well as manage any…moreNo, it is quite possible to read a book as a standalone. However to get the most out of the books, and to understand the subtext as well as manage any side characters I do recommend reading them in order. There are frequently cameos from previous main characters in the books.(less)

Start your review of Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Like a dog with a bone stars

*Spoilers*

photo awe 1_zpsbcyjzpqh.gif

Just look at the brave little rich boy, she murmured. Well, I do have excellent medical care and doctors willing to make house calls so I can afford to be brave.

Big Bad Beast is the 6th book in the pride series, and I freaking loved it. Not only did I love the MCs in this book I love that Eggie is in this book. GOD I love Eggie! Big Bad Beast is now tied with The Mane Squeeze as my favorite books in this series.

Im glad you came back, Ric told her,
Al George
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
updated July 2016 from four stars to five

bad_ass

God, I love Dee-Ann. I mean love. As in, of all the Laurenston characters, she's it for me so far. After reading the five books that preceded this one, I'm upgrading to a five star, because, dude, I love this world and I love these characters.

dogs_out

And yes, Blayne the teacup poodle makes another appearance.

Totally does not take itself seriously, thank goodness

I'll not go in to a ton of detail here other than to say what makes this book work so well is the
Catherine
No one is more surprised than I to hear that I didn't enjoy this book that much. I didn't dislike it, but overall I was pretty meh about it.

I found myself pretty bored by the relationship between Dee-Ann and Ric. Usually Laurenston creates a nice blend of crazy characters, wacky events, crude humor, and sexy situations. That seemed to be lacking here. We still got a little of all of that, but it felt dialed back instead of her usual in-your-face style.

One of the funnier aspects of this series
Melanie
Another great addition to the Pride books!!

Dee-Ann? Deeeee-Annnnnn??? DEEEEEEEEE-ANNNNNNNNN???????? Huh, I guess she wandered off. Not quite like any heroine I've ever read before, and definitely not like her 'ho-billie' pack mates, but that's what I loved abot her.

Actually she kind of reminded me of Xhex from BDB (in that rough-tough way), but with a way more developed sense of humour - which is why we all read Shelly Laurenston's books. And Ric, what's not to love?? I mean the man can COOK,
 ~V~
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a FUN BOOK! The Pride series is with out a doubt one of my favorites! Shelly Laurenston is such a gifted writer when it comes to snarky humor...this book had me laughing out loud just a couple of pages into it!

This sixth book in the Pride series follows the relationship between Ulrich Van Holtz and Dee Ann Smith. I've always loved Ric!...he's a professional chef, who runs one of the Van Holtz's famous restaurants... throw in the fact that he's what they all call "supermodel" pretty along
Carly
Twenty-five years ago
"But she's perfect, Uncle Van. I think I love her." Van glanced over at the still-growing She-Wolf. A too-skinny little girl with long legs and arms in a T-shirt and denim cutoffs and no shoes.
"Ric, you're way too young to love anybody but your parents and, of course, me."
"She needs to eat more," Ric observed, ignoring Van's comment. "And I'll be the one to feed her!"

2019 3rd re-read I love Ric and Dee-Ann together. They are an odd but perfectly matched couple. And they,
Nadia
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
YES! YES! YES!

You can't possibly know the satisfaction when finally I got to click that "I'm finished" button! Such a relief!

It's no secret that I absolutely detested the heroine I'm not even going to pretend I understand her or feel for her, because I don't and I never will. Dee-Ann is a horrible person and she doesn't deserve a quantum of compassion.

At times I would just get so annoyed by her behavior, I just had to put the book down for a while, to cool down. The first time it happened, I
Duchess Nicole
This series is just hilarious. However, I wouldn't suggest reading them out of order. I get a little lost reading them IN order. All of the hillbilly names and half breed shifters make for some convoluted relationships and story lines. But man, they are FUNNY!

Dee Anne didn't bother me like she did some other people. I was actually looking forward to her story, just to see Ms. Laurenston write a super kick ass chick, one even more kick ass than Ronnie Lee was. And Ric has been a favorite
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
BR with Aly(Almost)

Her Name: Dee Ann Smith
His Name: Ric Van Holtz
Her Ocupation: She'd tell you but then she'd have to kill you.
His Ocupation: Chef, hockey team owner and player, secret shifter organization manager.
Her weapon of choice: Bowie knife
His weapon of choice: Frying pan

What can a Smith(one of the most feared packs out there) she-wolf have in common with a Van Holtz(one of the most uptight packs out there) male? Read the book and find out because I'm too lazy to tell ya!;)

Quotes:

Dont be
Stephaniec
I adore this series and this installment is no exception. Charlotte Kane brings such life to the characters and especially Dee-Ann Smith.
Katie(babs)
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelly Laurenston is an author who puts the Z in zany. Her books are over the top silly and ones that will have you in hysterics. Her Pride series is set in a world full of shifters. Name an animal, and it will most likely appear in one of Shellys books. The last one I read by Shelly, The Main Squeeze, had a seven foot, somewhat shy bear shifter. I didnt think Shelly could pull off a hot teddy bear shifting hero, but she did that with the hero, Lock. Now in Big Bad Beast we have two main ...more
Jess
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Posted at: www.happilyeverafter-reads.blogspot.com

Let Project Wolf-Wolf commence!! Ahhhh, nothing makes me happier than having a new Shelly Laurenston book in my hands. Everything, and I mean every-thing, Ive read by her is laugh out loud, careful reading in public, funny. With the 6th book in the Pride Series, Shelly has continued to build on a truly multi-layered, multi-racial/shifter species, multi-crazies (aka families) world. From the lazy ass lions, insane wolves, hyper wild dogs, to well
Krista Bunny
Like most people I was pretty hesitant to read about hard-ass Dee-Ann Smith, but OMG, can Shelly write a good one. Don't get the wrong idea, Dee is still tough as nails and every bit her father's daughter (lovers of the series will know what being Eggie Smith's daughter means, too!) and Ric is just as wily as ever, but they manage to take being hard and being wily make it fun, amusing and a wonderful love story. Not conventional in any way, but that's the Laurenston love equation and I wouldn't ...more
The Anxious Bookaholic
After read review:

I have no idea how Ms. Laurenston did it but she made me fall in love once again. I was not looking forward to reading Big Bad Beast. In fact this book has been laying around for a couple of weeks just waiting me to make myself read it.
I have no idea why I thought pessimistically about this one. Dee and Ric balanced each other perfectly. She was violent where he was calm. She has absolutely no filter between her brain and mouth as Ric is all logic.
I really enjoyed the
Julie
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What can I say Shelly Laurenston is a genius at writing couples and funny dialogue...This another book of her where I either didn't like one of the main characters or found them annoying in another book, but then in their own book I really liked them(I looking at you Dee-Ann). Loved how Ric has loved her from the very beginning and no one else could understand why and just all their scenes with each other. Cannot wait for the next one...Also now have gotten my sister hooked on this series and ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
3rd read: 1-2 January 2018
One of the best way to start the year.

2nd read: April 2014
Buddy read with Jo

1st read: November 2012
Buddy read with Maru
Chumchum_88
This book was certainly enjoyable and a great continuation for a great series ^^

Personally I wasn't expecting much from this book since shown in the previous couple of books the heroine was mean and so antisocial that she didn't care whether what she did was bitchy or not, and the hero was so in love with the heroine that he was silly most of the time around her, so goofy with heart-shaped eyes XD

- I adored the prologue it was so freaking cute, with them acting their usual self but in miniature
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Audio July 2018: OMG I loved the audio for Big Bad Beast. I laughed a lot, smiled, and got a deeper feeling of these characters. Their is something special about an audio and listening to a story you liked/loved the first time around. This audio brought the story and the characters to life. Narrator Charlotte Kane did a good job. The more I listen the more I like her voices. It took some getting use to, but they have grown on me.

~ 4 Big Bad Beast Stars ~

Big Bad Beast is book six in the Pride
Zeek
In BBB, Dee Ann Smith, an ex marine frenemy and Dez (the heroine from The Mane Event) join together in a task force to track down the people behind the shifters disappearing and/or being created to fight in the nastiest version of a dogfight you'd ever come upon. But they soon find out they may not want to know- especially when they discover one of the main money sources is none other than one of their very own.

Meanwhile Ric Van Holtz is determined to make the woman he's loved all his life his
Ana
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I've been waiting for quite some time. From the first time we saw Ric and Dee-Ann together I knew they were going to be mates, and I was right. *doing a happy dance*

Dee-Ann is great, a bit trigger happy, but still great. I love the way she talks to people, her bluntness, her crazy family...

Ric is incredibly patient, nice, a great cook, and strong & smart enough to be an alpha if he wanted to - all in all a perfect wolf. He knew what he wanted (in this case it was Dee-Ann),
Tori
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/05/rev...

Favorite Quote: Its Miss. Nice Southern girls use Miss.

Then I guess that still makes you a Ms.

I ADORE Shelly Laurenston and her crazy unpredictable shifters. When I received Big Bad Beast for review I decided to get the first one, The Mane Event, so that I could get an insight into the overall arc. From there I went and got her whole back list and spent the weekend with these crazy, sexy, outrageously funny shifters.

Big Bad Beast is #6
Steph
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have been curious about Dee Ann's character since we first met her earlier in the series. She's always been so grumpy, evasive and pretty bloody horrible so I was interested to see how she would be as someone's HEA. Would she be that standoffish with them and they would just have to accept it? Or would she be totally different with them? Then when I discovered that Ric (who I definately have the hugest crush on by the way) would be her man I got a little scared. Ric is just adorable, so sweet ...more
Larissa
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

Rating: 4.5 Stars!

*SPOILER FREE

Shelly Laurenston does it again and insures that her Pride series includes some of my favorite Paranormal Romance charcaters EVER! No one does it like she does. She has the talent of creating such vivid and compelling characters and all the while making me laugh my a** off, every single time!

I have to admit I was a bit worried about Big Bad Beast. I mean, I love Rick and couldnt wait for him and
Wminbc
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay, by page 2, I was laughing out loud. The dry humor that Ms Laurenston can infuse into her characters while still making them engaging is absolutely amazing. As a child, Ulrich is a methodical, deep thinker who knows upon first sight that Eggie Smiths daughter is the one for himfast forward twenty-five years and Dee-Ann Smith is even more fantastic. She is tough, honest and has a biting sense of humor. In all things, Dee is a protector and defender.

As the story unfolds, we learn that some
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
20/6 - For me this was just okay. I've read two of the previous books in the series (The Mane Event and The Beast in Him) and one and a half of the books that follow this one (Wolf with Benefits and the first 214 pages of Bite Me). The last book I read, Bite Me became a DNF because I didn't feel any connection between Vic and Livy and I had the same problem with this one. No one seems like they have any romantic feelings for their mate, and why would you when you and your mate are constantly ...more
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow.......just when I thought it couldn't get any better then a 7 ft. sexy polar bear.............a sexy wolf comes along to steal the glory.

AND HE COOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!

Ric HAS to be one of the HOTTEST hero's of ANY book that I've read. He's got class, style, sexy as hell and O did I mention, he's a chef?

Dee Ann and Ric go together like strawberries and cream, cookies and milk............ya get the point.

She's an ex Marine, tough as nails, hillbilly from the the south. He's a well bred,
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
OK let me start off by saying that I am really stupid. Look at my profile Pic, that is my natural hair color! This is the sixth book in the series and I have read NONE of the others! So please take this review with a pinch of salt because obviously I was reading this book with no background or context and often no proper introduction to certain characters.

What I did like about this book was that not only did it have a good story line but it was also unexpectedly funny. Unfortunately I also felt
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
4 AWESOME STARS

I just love this series and as I read more and more, I don't want to get to the end.
Jasmine
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay so I don't really *like* any of you, but I wish you all the best, and also thank you so much for taking down that fight club, that was gross.
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Big Bad Beast 4 5 Feb 18, 2012 09:35AM

• Light My Fire (Dragon Kin, #7)
  • Last Dragon Standing (Dragon Kin, #4)
  • What a Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3)
  • How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (Dragon Kin, #6)
  • Feel the Burn (Dragon Kin, #8)
  • About a Dragon (Dragon Kin, #2)
  • The Dragon Who Loved Me (Dragon Kin, #5)
  • Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1)
  • Bring the Heat (Dragon Kin, #9)
  • When a Beta Roars (A Lion's Pride, #2)
  • A Tale of Two Dragons (Dragon Kin, #0.2)
  • When a Lioness Snarls (A Lion's Pride #5)
  • A Tiger's Bride (A Lion's Pride, #4)
  • When a Lioness Pounces (A Lion's Pride, #6)
  • When an Omega Snaps (A Lion's Pride, #3)
  • Sun, Sand, Sex (includes: The Long Island Coven, #1)
  • Indirect Lines (Halle Shifters, #5)
  • When an Alpha Purrs (A Lion's Pride, #1)
Originally from Long Island, New York, Shelly Laurenston has resigned herself to West Coast living which involves healthy food, mostly sunny days, and lots of guys not wearing shirts when they really should be. Shelly Laurenston is also The New York Times Bestselling author G.A. Aiken, creator of the Dragon Kin series. For more info on G.A. Aiken's dangerously and arrogantly sexy dragons, check ...more

Pride (9 books)
  • The Mane Event (Pride, #1)
  • The Beast in Him (Pride, #2)
  • The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3)
  • The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)
  • Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5)
  • Bear Meets Girl (Pride, #7)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
  • Bite Me (Pride, #9)

News & Interviews

Well, here we all are, sheltering in place, buying canned beans, and generally trying to figure out how to stay inside and keep our minds busy....
“Heifer.”
“Rich man’s whore!”
“At least mine can cook the food he eats. And replaces it, too.”
“Now see, Dee-Ann Smith. That was just mean!”
95 likes
“I'm not a whore, Dee-Ann. You can't just come here to use and abuse me before going on your merry way. Unless, of course, you're naked.” 65 likes