The Nexus discussion

ARCHIVES > March 2012

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (last edited Feb 28, 2012 10:02PM) (new)

Midu Hadi | 6726 comments Mod
descriptiondescription
Read as many as you want:
1. Inventor Alexander Graham Bell's birthday was 3rd March. Read a book with characters having communication problems or where any mode of communication (phone, mail etc) plays an important role.
2. Robert Frost and Elizabeth Browning were both born in this month. Read a book on poetry, or a poetry book or a book where poetry plays an important role.
3. Julius Caesar was assassinated in this month! Read a book about a revolution or a book in which an important political figure is assassinated.
4. March brings spring to Pakistan and we welcome it with lots of kite flying and wearing bright colors. Read a book about Asian culture, based in Asia or just one in which a festival is given importance.
5. March also brings St. Patrick's Day. Read a book with a green cover or a book in which this day is part of the plot.

OR
Pick a word related to this month and read books to spell it out! You can use character names, book's title, series title or even the author's name!

Examples:
H: A Highlander Christmas (Highlander, #7) by Janet Chapman (Series name begins with an H)
E: The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley
A: Baited Blood (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery #2) by Sue Ann Jaffarian (Female lead is named Ann)
R: Celtic Evil Roarke (Fitzgerald Brothers, #1) by Sierra Rose by Sierra Rose (Author's surname begins with an R)
T: The Cat Who Had 14 Tales by Lilian Jackson Braun (book's name begins with a T)

Ideas for words to use:
MARCH, KITES, SPRING etc

message 2: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Nicole (alexandriatheo) | 10 comments My word is going to be, in honor of St. Patrick's day,:

G - One Foot in the Grave
R - going to have to think about this one
E - At Grave's End
E - Destined for an Early Grave
N - This Side of the Grave - Night Huntress series

So obviously I've started the Night Huntress series and after the first book I love it! So this month I'm going to plan on finishing it :)

Eldritch Reading Reindeer Welcomes 2022! (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 18 comments I'm going to do this, probably the original challenge. I wish I had read this three days ago, I could have used The Bone House by Brian Freeman , which I just finished last night, for the communication problem: it's set in Northern Wisconsin and Florida-and during the WI locale, characters routinely have dropped cell coverage and inability to reach each other.:) Will post my picks when I decide. Good challenge, thanks.

message 4: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Mar 12, 2012 01:05PM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) C= Broken City by D.D. Chant - D.D. Chant
L=
O= The Ballroom On Magnolia Street by Sharon Owens - Sharon Owens
V=
E=
R=Resurrection, a YA Paranormal Romance (Book 2 of The Guardians of Vesturon) by A.M. Hargrove - A.M. Hargrove

message 5: by Nicole, assmaster! (last edited Mar 02, 2012 02:01PM) (new)

Nicole Peterson | 1049 comments Mod
I'm gonna go with LION. In like a LION and out like a lamb =)

L= A Lady of the Realm (House of DeDe, #1) by Sharon E. Mamolo
I
O
N

message 6: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

hehehe go Nexoids! hehehe

message 7: by Nicole, assmaster! (new)

Fiona beat me to the clover...I suppose I could have gone four or leaf.... I'll stick with my Lion =D

message 8: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

How is lion related to march? lol

message 9: by harshini (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:57PM) (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) I am dumb-founded. Maybe
HOLI (?)
Holi = The 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan Bhagat They celebrate this festival I think in this one.
H = Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Hex Hall series

message 10: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

you're going with holi? Cool!

message 11: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) Well I have to decide on what to read :)

message 12: by Nicole, assmaster! (new)

Midu wrote: "How is lion related to march? lol"

An old saying...March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.

message 13: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

ah! yeah, come to think of it, I did come across it while I was looking up events in march! hehe

message 14: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Nikki (The Bibliomaniac) wrote: "Fiona beat me to the clover...I suppose I could have gone four or leaf.... I'll stick with my Lion =D"

Sorry Nikki x

message 16: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Thanks for sharing the link,Fiona!

message 17: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Gives you more scope to see what other words you can come up with x

message 18: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

yep! it does!

message 19: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) I want to do this but I didn't even get to finish my last challenge I couldn't find books to go with 3 letters

message 20: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Krystal, I never finished my last 1 neither, so I just jumped right in with this 1 chick x

message 21: by Dr. Aashna (new)

Dr. Aashna Gill | 2 comments If anyone wants to read poetry(also has stories and prose) then u can try ASHES by Aashna Gill

message 22: by Nicole, assmaster! (new)

I didn't finish my February one either. But I'm still gonna try this one. =)

message 23: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (joeysnana) | 169 comments I didn't finish February either, But I have to try again. My word is going to be Leprechaun. As soon as I know which books will fit the letters, I'll repost with the titles included:)

message 24: by Tana, keeps deleting her nicknames! (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 3016 comments Mod
this sounds way to hard for me LOL

message 25: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Just spell out KITE with your books, Tana

message 26: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Mar 18, 2012 12:37AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) This is my first challenge here, so I really worked on finding books to fit. Thank you!

4/5

✔1. Read a book with characters having communication problems or where any mode of communication (phone, mail etc) plays an important role.
(Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope) (3/13/12)

✔2. Read a book on poetry, or a poetry book or a book where poetry plays an important role.
(A Child's Introduction to Poetry: ...) (3/9/12)

3. Read a book about a revolution or a book in which an important political figure is assassinated.
(1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion)

✔4. Read a book about Asian culture, based in Asia or just one in which a festival is given importance.
(Imprisoned in the Golden City: Adoniram and Ann Judson) (3/7/12)

✔5. a book in which this day (St. Patrick's) is part of the plot.
(Plum lucky) (3/16/12)

message 27: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Nice,Melissa..you're doing it the hard way! :-D

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) Midu wrote: "Nice,Melissa..you're doing it the hard way! :-D"

Yes, but oh so fun! :D

message 29: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (last edited Mar 27, 2012 07:41AM) (new)

3/5
1. Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby -Mail!✔
2.Read a book on poetry, or a poetry book or a book where poetry plays an important role.
3. Dragon's Teeth by Suzanne van Rooyen
4. The Bride of Atlantis (Atalantium Trilogy, # 1) by Marie Morin
5.Read a book with a green cover or a book in which this day is part of the plot.