The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 25.9. Stacie MI's Task: Red Hot

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 05:59PM) (new)

Sandy | 15690 comments Mod
25.9. Stacie MI's Task: Red Hot

Hockey is one of my passions and my favorite team, the Detroit Red Wings is just on fire this year! They recently set the NHL record for consecutive home games won in a single season with an astonishing 23 wins. To honor my favorite sport and my favorite team, you will read two books. Each book must be from a different option.
Required: Please state the options you used when you post.

Option A: In honor of the new record, read a book with a 2 and a 3 in the page total.
Required: State the number of pages in your book when you post. If the edition you read does not have pages listed on Goodreads because of the recent data changes, please provide a link to an outside source showing the page numbers.

Option B: To bring my team luck on their next run for the Stanley Cup, read a book that was originally published in a year that the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup (1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008). The years are also listed at the top of this page: Stanley Cups

Required: State the publication year when you post.

Option C: To honor all hockey teams, go to the following page and pick a team: NHL Teams
Read a book with your team’s name in the title or subtitle. Plurals, possessives, and variants are okay.
OR
Read a book that takes is set in the state or Canadian province that your choice team hails from.
Ex: Blue Bloods("Blue" in title), Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
(set in New York), The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America ("Devil" in the title)
Required: When using the setting option, if it is not obvious from the Goodreads description, please explain how your book fits the task.

message 2: by Stacie (last edited Feb 28, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Approved for A:
Heartsick (326 pages)

Approved for B:
Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse (published 2008)

Approved for C:

message 3: by Stacie (last edited Feb 28, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Not approved for A:

Not approved for B:

Not approved for C:

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Yay Stacie!!! I am glad you were able to finish! I knew you could...I am excited for your task. Now it is time for me to go and look for some books!

message 5: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Yay Stacie!!! I am glad you were able to finish! I knew you could...I am excited for your task. Now it is time for me to go and look for some books!"

Aw, you're so sweet! I honestly still can't believe that I actually finished!

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments Congrats to your team, Stacie. When my daughters were young, they always wanted to see the Red Wings play on TV because of the octopus tradition, and enthusiastic fans. (We don't have a NHL team in our state to cheer for.)

message 7: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments avs fan here....but i like your task anyway. :) ;)

message 8: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments If we go with publication year, can we use the "first published" date as shown on GR?

message 9: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Christine US wrote: "If we go with publication year, can we use the "first published" date as shown on GR?"

Yes, that is the date you should use

message 10: by Lavinia (last edited Feb 28, 2012 11:45AM) (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments How are Heartsick for Option A (326 pages) and Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse for Option B? The main GR page for Wastelands shows a pub date of 2007, but WorldCat shows that particular ISBN as having a 1st edition pub date of 2008 (http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=1597...).

message 11: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Lavinia wrote: "How are Heartsick for Option A (326 pages) and Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse for Option B? The main GR page for Wastelands shows a pub date of 2007, but WorldCa..."

For Heartsick, as long as that is the edition that you read, yes.

I'll also allow the other book, but maybe you should go to the General Help discussion thread and see if you can get someone with a librarian status to change the date here on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 12: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments Stacie wrote: "...go to the General Help discussion thread and see if you can get someone with a librarian status to change the date here on Goodreads..."

Actually, I'm a librarian... I'll change it. I'm always reluctant to mess with things unless I have a physical copy in my hand, but WorldCat seems to be a widely-accepted resource. Thanks, Stacie.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (ragamuffin_child) | 68 comments For Option C - Green Bay Packers, can the word be part of another word? This Is China: A Guidebook for Teachers, Backpackers and Other Lunatics

message 14: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Becky wrote: "For Option C - Green Bay Packers, can the word be part of another word? This Is China: A Guidebook for Teachers, Backpackers and Other Lunatics"

The Green Bay Packers are an NFL team, not an NHL team. If you click on the provided link, you will find a list of the teams and their names.

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (ragamuffin_child) | 68 comments I'm a dork. :( So -- next question -- if the team's name is plural (i.e. the Leafs), does the book need to have the plural in the title, or can I use the word Leaf?

message 16: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Becky wrote: "I'm a dork. :( So -- next question -- if the team's name is plural (i.e. the Leafs), does the book need to have the plural in the title, or can I use the word Leaf?"

Yes, the word "leaf" will be allowed.

message 17: by Deedee (last edited Mar 26, 2012 11:10AM) (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Stacie wrote: "Becky wrote: "I'm a dork. :( So -- next question -- if the team's name is plural (i.e. the Leafs), does the book need to have the plural in the title, or can I use the word Leaf?"

Yes, the word "leaf" will be allowed. ..."

So for example, for the Phoenix Coyotes .... I can use "coyote"? As in:

Coyote
Sky Coyote
Coyote Dreams

or "King" for Kings, "Island" for islanders, "Star" for stars, etc.

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Deedee wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Becky wrote: "I'm a dork. :( So -- next question -- if the team's name is plural (i.e. the Leafs), does the book need to have the plural in the title, or can I use the word Leaf?"

..."

Yes, all of those would work just fine.

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments I was just going to post this but I thought I should just ask for sure first...
for Option C I am using Promise Me by Harlan Coben because it takes place in NJ - my husband's fave hockey team is the NJ Devils. Do you just trust me that it takes place in NJ, because it doesn't say that in the goodreads description? This one of a series, maybe I can find it on another one??
The setting is left blank, not sure why - the entire book is set in NJ.
Please lmk, sorry to bother you with something stupid..I just have to be SURE I'm doing things properly. :o)

message 20: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Kim, sorry to interrupt, but this version's GR description does mention NJ.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38...

hope that helps!

message 21: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Kim wrote: "I was just going to post this but I thought I should just ask for sure first...
for Option C I am using Promise Me by Harlan Coben because it takes place in NJ - my husband's fave hockey team is t..."

I'd trust you, but it looks like Sassafrass has solved it for us!

message 22: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Kim, sorry to interrupt, but this version's GR description does mention NJ.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38...

hope that helps!"

Thanks!

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments Sassafrass, you are so awesome! Thank you!