What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Best in Children's Books, Volume 1
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Hardcover collections of stories for children, possibly "Collier's Junior Classics"[s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tess | 438 comments What I can remember:
There were several books with different stories in them, I think most of them were fairy tales and folk tales. They had two-tone pictures illustrating the stories. the ONLY story I can remember is the tale of little Two-Eyes, who has sisters One-Eye and Three-Eyes.
I'm pretty sure that each cover was a different color, and that there were embossed pictures from the stories inside also on the cover.
Why I'm not sure if it is Collier's Junior Classics - The copies I remember did not have dust jackets. The only pictures of the Collier collection I've found show dust jackets, and not the embossed pictures I remember. Also, I can't find a list of the stories in each volume so I can't figure out if "Little TwoEyes" is one of the stories.
I feel like these books had to have been published in the 1960's or earlier, just from what I remember of the paper and binding style. I think I read these at my grandparent's house, and my parents were kids in the '60s.
They also might be Andrew Lang's color fairy books, but again I cannot find a collection with the covers I remember.

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Feb 27, 2012 01:59PM) (new)

Hannah Bailey | 26 comments The Green Fairy Book includes (among many other stories) "Little One-eye, Little Two-eyes, and Little Three-eyes". Dunno if the covers fit your recollection tho :(

Tess | 438 comments yeah, that's why I thought it might be the Andrew Lang collections because that's the only place I can find a reference to "Little Two Eyes" but again can't find a cover that fits my memory!
Thank you!

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana (gwenivere27) | 5 comments Could it be the series My Book House by Olive Beaupre Miller? I think I remember that story in the series. There's a total of 12 books in the series.

Tess | 438 comments maybe? I will see what the covers from different editions look like. thanks for the suggestion

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana (gwenivere27) | 5 comments I hope it helps.

Tess | 438 comments Oh my goodness, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I went back to my parent's house this weekend and they knew what I was talking about! This is a series my father had read. There are dust jackets that neither he nor I remembered, but the covers underneath are exactaly as I remember.
Best in Children's Books, Volume 1 by Various Best in Children's Books, Volume 12 by Various Best in Children's Books, Volume 10 by Various Best in Children's Books, Volume 18 by Various Best in Children's Books, Volume 14 by Various Best in Children's Books, Volume 42 by Alfred Tennyson

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana (gwenivere27) | 5 comments I'm so glad you found them.