Wodehouse cracks me up discussion

Group Reads > March 2012 - Code of the Woosters

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, Tenth Earl of Emsworth (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 114 comments Mod
The group read of Code of the Woosters kicks off on March 1st. Post your thoughts here.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Allopenna (pallopenna) | 3 comments I've gotten a head start on this. I've been reading it out loud to my wife for the last few weeks. It's a real challenge to try and capture the right voice for each of the characters.

message 3: by James (new)

James | 7 comments I'm so out of sync... I just finished this one in December.

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 20 comments this will be my first group read here. I've read the synopsis, it sounds very familiar to some of the material used in the TV series with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Allopenna (pallopenna) | 3 comments Algernon, yes it is the storyline for Jeeves Saves the Cow Creamer. However, as good as the TV series was, the book has those turns of phrase which make it such a pleasure to read Wodehouse.

message 6: by Dan, Tenth Earl of Emsworth (new)

Even though this is my second read of Code of the Woosters, I'm still amazed at how easy Wodehouse makes it all seem. The plot twists are perfectly timed, most of the big ones happening in the last few sentences of the chapters.

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 20 comments This was a really fast read. Agreed about Wodehouse excellent sense of timing. I might go back now and try to read the Jeeves books in order, because I have seen a lot of references in the text to previous events.

message 8: by Dan, Tenth Earl of Emsworth (new)

A lot of the references are from short stories. The World of Jeeves collects all of them.

message 9: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 8 comments I've read this one before, but somehow it isn't included in one of my five "complete" Wodehouse volumes. My library doesn't have it either so I'm making due with the audio.

message 10: by Dan, Tenth Earl of Emsworth (new)

jennifer wrote: "I've read this one before, but somehow it isn't included in one of my five "complete" Wodehouse volumes. My library doesn't have it either so I'm making due with the audio."

Who's doing the audio?

message 11: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 8 comments It's Alexander Spencer. I've never heard of him, but it's a good version. Eight discs.