College Students! discussion

Reading Goals/ Challenges > Spring/Summer 2012: Questions, Task Help and General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
All questions about specific tasks and also general discussion. We will be adding some lists for books that could fit some of the harder to find tasks and updating it when people make suggestions. Feel free to give suggestions on books you think would fit someone’s needs for a task.

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Do you want us to use a specific list for 25.4 ( 1001 Books to Read Before You Die), Tami? There are many different lists and I wanted to make sure.

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I know it is updated every 2 years (I think) where they drop some off, and add others on. I would say that it doesn't have to be on the current one, as long as it was on the list sometime. Whatever list you can find would work. There are several on the internet.

message 4: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Tami wrote: "I know it is updated every 2 years (I think) where they drop some off, and add others on. I would say that it doesn't have to be on the current one, as long as it was on the list sometime. Whatever..."

Thanks, Tami, I think I'll use the most current one if I can find it.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan For the Goodreads Choice Awards winner - Can we read one of the nominated books rather than an actual winner? There are not many actual winners to choose from.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments How do you locate the Goodreads Choice Awards list?

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Melissa wrote: "How do you locate the Goodreads Choice Awards list?"

The link used to be on the goodreads homepage but it has disappeared. I just googled it and it was easy to find :)

message 8: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) For 10.8 May they take a vacation or must they be on Vacation the entire time?

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments Anyone have ideas on which book to read for the shark week challenge? Most shark books are for kids and are less than 150 pages. Or I'd have to get a non-fiction text book kind of thing. A non-fiction book that discusses different kind of sharks and what they eat does not sound like a ton of fun. Haha.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan I don't know if it counts but the old sea adventure books have quite a few sharks in them. Like Moby-Dick, Two Years Before the Mast: A Sailor's Life at Sea, In the South Seas and even Just So Stories includes two about writing the alphabet which uses a shark's tooth as the writing implement. There must be heaps more.

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments Hmmm... Good idea! I had been searching forever, and could not get my brain thinking. If you search Goodreads and Amazon for sharks, it's kids books and non-fiction. (Oh, and Isn't Moby-Dick a whale?)

I did find Sharks and Boys by Kristen Tracy, which sounds like fun.

Thanks for your ideas. I like choices. :)

message 12: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
On the Winner Is, I would allow any that made nominations. That will give us a larger pool. I also will allow any winners from 2010. :)

On the vacation one, I am fine if they go on vacation but aren't on vacation for the entire book. As long as the vacation plays a part in the story.

Shark Week: I was thinking that may be a little difficult. I would be fine with including other sea life. So Moby Dick would work, a story where fishermen are the main characters and it takes place on the water I am fine with too.

Hopefully this answers everything. :)

message 13: by Sashana (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

Sashana Melissa wrote: "How do you locate the Goodreads Choice Awards list?"

2011 Goodreads Choice Awards

2010 Goodreads Choice Awards

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments Thanks, Tami. :) Opening it to other sea creatures helps. :)

message 15: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments For the Earth Day task, does the the book have to be nonfiction? I was considering using The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, which is about a young girl who is a budding naturalist and she learns about evolution and the natural world from her grandfather. Could this count for the task?

message 16: by Beks (last edited Feb 28, 2012 08:39PM) (new)

Beks (bekster15) Does Scotland count as a could climate? I'm more sensitive to cold than other people so I just have to check.

Also could I read Island of the Blue Dolphins for shark week?

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 16 comments Would Martyr work for Bard Bash?

message 18: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Kayla, it doesn't need to be nonfiction, I would say that book would work.

Beks, I am right with you. Anything under 90 degrees is cold for me. So I say yes. :) Island of the Blue Dolphins would work too.

message 19: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Which task is everyone having the most difficulty with? We were thinking about changing up our group reads to coincide with the challenge, so if there is one really giving people grief, we may make out April group read related to it.

message 20: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Julia, I couldn't tell if it was influenced or about William Shakespeare from the blurb. Has anyone else read this? What do you think?

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 16 comments Well, as far as I know it is a detective story where the detective is actually Shakespeare's brother and it takes place while he still was a struggling playwright.

message 22: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Tami wrote: "Which task is everyone having the most difficulty with? We were thinking about changing up our group reads to coincide with the challenge, so if there is one really giving people grief, we may make..."

I would be open to doing a group read for the Shark Week, Summer Loving and Lost in Translation tasks. I'm not particularly excited about the books I chose and it'd be great to have other options.

The task I'm having the most difficulty with is the Ripped from the Headlines task, though I don't know how we can make that a group read since it's a two book task and the books have to be about the same subject.

There are plenty of historical fiction books that I'd like to read, but since I don't read much nonfiction I think it'll be hard finding one that I'm interested in enough to read for the task. I mostly read science/medical books the rare times that I actually do pick up a nonfiction book, and I have no idea what I could choose for a fiction book to go along with something like that.

message 23: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments And the Cinco de Mayo task would make a good group read for May :)

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Tami wrote: "Which task is everyone having the most difficulty with? We were thinking about changing up our group reads to coincide with the challenge, so if there is one really giving people grief, we may make..."

Ripped from the Headlines

message 25: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (ophia) | 85 comments I'm having trouble with Summer Lovin. Romance isn't my usual genre so I'm not sure what's good.

Tami: I was thinking of reading The Other Life for my Earth Day book but it's about the aftermath of environmental destruction so it's a stretch. Does it count?

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan Nicki wrote: "I'm having trouble with Summer Lovin. Romance isn't my usual genre so I'm not sure what's good.

I'm having trouble with that as well. Romance isn't something I normally read.

I was thinking about some sort of classic like To Kill a Mockingbird - where Scout and Dill's childhood love for each other is based on summer holiday visits. But it is hard to know what love interests take place during the summer if you haven't already read the book.

I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions like that.

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan I just had a hunt and came up with A Farewell to Arms and Summer as a couple of classics (kind of) based on summer romance and then Prodigal Summer as well by Barbara Kingsolver who I keep meaning to read something by.

message 28: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments Do you guys by any chance read YA? Cause there are a lot of summer romances there :) :

YA
The Summer I Turned Pretty
Past Perfect
Sometimes It Happens
Sixteenth Summer

Adult:
Juliet
Austenland
(I think they took place in the summer, I'm not entirely sure)

I remember having read more summer romances... I just can't think of the names right now.

message 29: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (ophia) | 85 comments Here is a link to some ideas:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...

I'm gonna read The Truth About Forever.

message 30: by Christie (new)

Christie | 133 comments Some shark books I've found are 1) Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board, 2) Jaws, 3) The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks, and 4) The Old Man and the Sea if it's approved for length.

Some non-shark sea-life-centric books, besides the ones already mentioned, are The Whale Rider, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and a bunch of other ones on this list http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/30....

message 31: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 16 comments Since a reasonable amount of time is spent on The Wall and other cold locations, would A Dance With Dragons be acceptable as the Cold part of 25.2 - Hot and Cold?

message 32: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Nicki
Tami: I was thinking of reading The Other Life for my Earth Day book but it's about the aftermath of environmental destruction so it's a stretch. Does it count?
I think that would work just fine.

Julia,
Since a reasonable amount of time is spent on The Wall and other cold locations, would A Dance With Dragons be acceptable as the Cold part of 25.2 - Hot and Cold?
this will work too.

message 33: by Ana (new)

Ana | 65 comments For the "Poisson d'Avril" challenge, does it have to be about a real culture, or can it be a fictional one? Like, would The Hunger Games count?

message 34: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Good Question: I will have to put this up for debate. What do you all think? Fictional cultures work?

message 35: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments If fictional cultures count it will be a lot easier for me to pick a book to read for the challenge! But I'd say only if the culture is a large part of the book and significantly different from your own.

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsherman) The word epistolary for task 15.5 tends to work for books written in a letter format, but during my searching, most of the books within the lists are more diary-based instead of letter-based. So I'm wondering whether or not a diary-based book will count for it or not.

message 37: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) If fictional cultures work a great book is General Winston's Daughter it's loosely based on the Indian culture and how it was when they were occupied by the British.

message 38: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Okay, so I guess fictional cultures will work as long as the culture is a major point in the book.

Rachel, I would say diary based books would work. I remember when I was little instea of writing a diary/journal, I would write letters to an imaginary person. :)

message 39: by Ali (new)

Ali (alicyn) | 13 comments would "Great Stories by Chekhov" work for 15.1, lost in translation? it is a collection of 9 of his short stories, ~250 p.

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I need a second opinion. Can this cover Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer be classified as red, white, and blue? Or is it more grey than blue?

message 41: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Nullifidian wrote: "For the "Now and Then" category, can we read a book that will be republished in 2012?"

I know Tami is supposed to answer but I think for the 'then' portion the book has to be published in 2012 (view spoiler)

message 42: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Alicyn, yes, that would work.

Sashana, if you can't find something else to fit, I think it looks blue enough.

Nullifidian, I am fine with that.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Would Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer work for 5.6 Earth Day?

Miranda's disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove. Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda's struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

message 44: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Melissa, yes, I think it would.

message 45: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm reading a historical romance about a woman who migrates from England to Montana in 1868. Would that work for 15.7 (Homestead Act), Tami?

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber (hippiefemme) Melissa wrote: "Would Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer work for 5.6 Earth Day?

Miranda's disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the ..."

That sounds awesome! I'm reading that as my "we're all in this together" book.

message 47: by Kayla (last edited Mar 16, 2012 09:57PM) (new)

Kayla | 604 comments For the Ripped from the Headlines task, I am thinking about reading The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story for my nonfiction book, which is about the outbreak of the ebolavirus in D.C. in the late 80s.

For the fiction book, would it be alright if the story was just about any kind of virus outbreak or would it have to be about an ebolavirus outbreak specifically?

message 48: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Any virus would work.

message 49: by Sashana (new)

Sashana For the Bard Bash task would a modern retelling of one of Shakespeare's play work?

message 50: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I would allow that Sashana.

« previous 1