Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2012 Challenge Archive > 2012 March Monthly Challenge - Suggestion Thread

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vi (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:07AM) (new)

Vi | 2012 comments 2012 March Monthly Challenge

This thread is the suggestions thread for the different categories. The participants thread is located HERE.

Many Thanks to those who stop by the Suggestions Thread. Your help is very much appreciated!!

1. 'M' is for March: Read a book that starts with the letter 'M' or a book whose author's first or last name starts with the letter 'M'.

2. Happy Birthday! Read a book from a January birthday celebrant's GR bookshelf whose name/nickname starts with the same letter as yours. If no one has the same letter, choose someone with the closest letter to yours alphabetically. March Birthday List.

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, character or setting is from Colorado

4. Third Month: Read a book that has 3 words or is 3rd in a series.

5. Popcorn Lover's Day (8 Mar): Read a book that has been converted to a movie or vice versa.

6. Mardi Gras: Read a book that is set in New Orleans/Louisiana or has a colorful cover (at least 3 colors) or has anything related to Ireland

7. Single Parents' Day: Read a book where one of the characters is a single parent.

8. March Fo(u)rth! (4 Mar): Read a book with a military setting or character.

9. American Red Cross Month: Read a book with a hospital setting or character or a book with a red cover.

10. Reader's Choice: Read any book of your choice

Challenge Duration: March 1 to March 30, 2012

You can choose 3 , 5 , 8 or all 10 categories depending on your reading speed, books availability and/or time commitment.

When posting your challenge progress, please make sure to put the date/s when you finished your book/s.

Please repost your progress as it helps when updating.

Happy Reading Everyone!

message 2: by Vi (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:20AM) (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Books Set in Colorado

I'm trying to find a website or list for romance authors from colorado but no luck so far :(

Books set in New Orleans, Louisiana

message 3: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Vi heres a couple of links

Colorado Cowboys
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/j...

Heres a link for Colorado Runaway Series
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/j...

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Two Colorado authors -

Barbara O'Neal

Marie Sexton

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Feb 28, 2012 09:16PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments Pamela Clare is another Colorado author, and Elizabeth Lowell's Only Series is set in the Colorado Rockies.

message 7: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Here are some other authors from Colorado:
- Nancy Atherton (Mystery)
- Paolo Bacigalupi (SF)
- Carol Berg (Fantasy)

message 8: by Barbara ★ (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:04AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3558 comments Naynay wrote: "Challenge Duration: March 1 to March 30, 2012

0/10

Naynay, FYI your post is in the wrong thread. Look up in Message #1, click HERE and it will take you to the participants thread. This one is just for suggestions.

message 9: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1152 comments Lisa Gardner's book Hide was made into a movie by TNT. That series also had Sandra Brown's Ricochet and Mary Higgins Clark's Deck the Halls. Plus don't forget all those Nora Roberts' novels that have been made into Lifetime movies.

message 10: by Ann (Noumena12) (new)

Ann (Noumena12) (noumena12) | 126 comments Meg Benjamin is also from Colorado. And her books are lending-enabled on Amazon!!!!

message 11: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments I have a question about #8 - Read a book with a military setting or character.

Would "The Order" in the Midnight series by Lara Adrian count as military?

message 12: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Lacy, I can't find the book. Could you link to it?

message 13: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2012 07:01PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments Vi, The Order isn't a title of a book, it's the group of vampires in Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds series. They are kind of an underground military/paramilitary group battling against the enemies of their race. To me they are very comparable to J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. The first book in the series is Kiss of Midnight.

message 14: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments *blushes* Thanks for that, KarenH! Oh, yeah, that would work for the category. Lacy, go ahead if you want to use that book for the category :)

message 15: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Another GR Colorado link: Popular Colorado Authors Books.

Two links with lists of Colorado authors:

1. Link 1
2. Link 2

I hope that helps. Thanks to all who have helped out with the Geography section :)

message 16: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments Vi wrote: "*blushes* Thanks for that, KarenH! Oh, yeah, that would work for the category. Lacy, go ahead if you want to use that book for the category :)"

Thank you Vi and Karen! Sorry for the confusion. =)
I'm so glad it fits!

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Does anyone know if The Confession by John Grisham has been made into a movie? I read in one spot it had, but cannot find that again, nor any other info about it.
Thanks!

message 18: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Hi Nicola, I did a search but so far, they haven't confirmed if it'll be made into a movie.

message 19: by Famma (new)

Famma | 248 comments 4. Third Month: I am reading Mockingjay third in series

1. 'M' is for March: Will also be finishing Mohsin Hamid book Reluctant Fundamentalist

5.Popcorn Lover's Day (8 Mar): The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

message 20: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Vi wrote: "Hi Nicola, I did a search but so far, they haven't confirmed if it'll be made into a movie."

Thanks. I did find out that one of my others was made into a movie - so I will do some switching around.

message 21: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Famma wrote: "4. Third Month: I am reading Mockingjay third in series

1. 'M' is for March: Will also be finishing Mohsin Hamid book Reluctant Fundamentalist

5...."

Famma,
Can you please post this in the participants thread?

message 22: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19669 comments I have a question - would this work of the American Red Cross category?

Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

It has a fair amount of red, but I want another opinion before I go ahead with it....

message 23: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments MountainKat, the yummy cover works for the Red Cross category. Happy Reading! I loved that book.

message 24: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19669 comments Vi wrote: "MountainKat, the yummy cover works for the Red Cross category. Happy Reading! I loved that book."

Thanks Vi! That makes my challenges work so much better!! I think I will start that a one next!

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann Lee (goodreadscomannlee) I enjoyed reading "The Dark Place by Dean Kootnz.

message 26: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Does it count for #9 if the main character is a doctor, but in a practice setting rather than a hospital setting?

message 27: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Yep, it counts. You can use it.

message 28: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments I should give up these challenges although one person this month sent out all their monthly challenges in an emails, so easy for me. I have been inthe hospital and recovery was slow, missed the last 2 months, where is all the ones you do forJune

message 29: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments I should give up these challenges although one person this month sent out all their monthly challenges in an emails, so easy for me. I have been inthe hospital and recovery was slow, missed the last 2 months, where is all the ones you do forJune

message 30: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Hi Lindy - I set up a link in the May participant thread. They are also posted in the monthly challenges section.

Hope you are feeling better.