Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Need help - Book for New Library Book Club

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Feb 26, 2012 10:54PM) (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 111 comments I am starting a new book club at my local library. It is Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy. I need to pick out a book to read for the first time and since we haven't met yet I can't poll them. I have so many favorites that I need input in what book the general population would like to read.

This is for the month of April
(Book has to have been out for a while to get a cheap price on paperback.)

I narrowed it down to:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk
Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrew
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

Or put your suggestion!
Thanks,
Momma Seymour

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 77 comments I would say The Hunger Games.
It's very popular, not too hard a read for your first one.

Also with the movie coming out soon it's very topical.

message 3: by Dee (last edited Feb 27, 2012 04:53AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) i liked them all, but I would vote for either Hunger Games or Dead After Dark. Hunger Games because as Kate pointed out its about to be released as a movie and is readily available. Dead After Dark because its been out a while and you could always get a copy of True Blood and talk about the TV show vs. the book

the other 3 while they are good suffer from first book in the series weakness (at least IMHO)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 111 comments Thanks guys. I was leaning toward hunger games as well because of the movie too. I think maybe reading dead until dark would be good for may because the new one comes out that month. But I love so many it is good to have you guys help. Thanks.
@Dee - I agree with the first book syndrome. Lol I never really thought of them in that light but it is true.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) I would pick Dead Until Dark. Its been out for awhile, it has a show to compare it too. Its Vamps and sexy without being over the top.

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Feb 28, 2012 06:01AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I'm a public librarian, and to be honest with you, I would avoid Hunger Games because it is so popular. I would take advantage of your book group to get them to read a good book that doesn't have the publicity that Hunger Game does, get them reading a lesser known but just as enjoyable book. I'd give a try to First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. It's relatively new PNR and different from the usual urban fantasy vampire and werewolf stuff.

message 7: by Slavena (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 13 comments Hunger Games would be a safe choice. There is almost no romance or gore in the entire series. I actually found the book boring.
Magic Bites is more UF for the first 3 books but has lots of gore.
Dead until dark is somewhere in between UF and PNR, meaning there is a sex scene in book one.
Dark lover is more mature, both gore and sex scenes (more then one).
Magic to the bone is the only one I have no clue about.

Magic bites is a favorite of mine. From all the books listed she is the strongest female characters with the best powers

message 8: by Wicked Tiffy (new)

Wicked Tiffy | 11 comments we just did Hunger Games in my book group and had a lively discussion. I enjoyed the book and am planning on reading books 2 & 3 in the series. Magic to the Bone is good and anything Charlaine Harris writes is terrific.