Book freaks discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Book Read Talk > The Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-50 of 160 (160 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Gorfo Here is the discussion for the March-April 2012 Monthly Book read: The Hunger Games. You can discuss anything from your feelings about the book to the structure of the plotline. You can rave about characters you love/ hate and your favorite scenes or least favorite plot devices. Just have fun! :)

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Feb 27, 2012 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole (nmm267) | 54 comments Just wanted to say I'm so excited we're reading this book! I just got my sister hooked on this series and as soon as I get my book back from her I'm going to reread...just in time for the movie!

Gorfo Nicole wrote: "Just wanted to say I'm so excited we're reading this book! I just got my sister hooked on this series and as soon as I get my book back from her I'm going to reread...just in time for the movie!"

Yay! I'm glad you're so pumped! I really should book my tickets for the hunger games!

Chandrika (shenoychandrika) | 2 comments I am already hooked on to this book and almost done!! Cant wait for the movie in March. The trailers look good!!!

message 5: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soul (soulkeeper720) | 3876 comments Mod
One whole day to go...

i m going to read one chapter per day! March read is epic!!!

hope everyone will follow one chapter per day, so we can get more out of the book .
Hunger Games ... <3 <3 <3

Nicole (nmm267) | 54 comments Soul wrote: "One whole day to go...

i m going to read one chapter per day! March read is epic!!!

hope everyone will follow one chapter per day, so we can get more out of the book .
Hunger Games ... <3 <3 <3"

I couldn't do one chapter per day for any book I enjoy - I get too caught up!

message 7: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

* To Nicole

Same here :)

but still i am going to follow "one chapter a day" plan. this way i'll ensure it's "Monthly read" status and it won't affect my regular reading queue.

*P.S : hopefully coming months will follow the series(as monthly read) i.e
April : Catching Fire
May : Mockingjay

<<<>>>

Gorfo Soul wrote: "* To Nicole

Same here :)

but still i am going to follow "one chapter a day" plan. this way i'll ensure it's "Monthly read" status and it won't affect my regular reading queue.

*P.S : hopefully c..."

That's a pretty neat idea but we're actually not going to read the rest of the series in the coming months. It people like the Hunger Games I strongly encourage them to finish up the series on their own time! However, if someone didn't like the Hunger Games (which is hard for me to imagine but highly possible) I'm sure they wouldn't like that set up ;P

message 9: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

*@Gorfo: yeah that's true.. but still i m pumped up for march read, because this is the first time i m participating in monthly book read!!!

message 10: by Nicole (last edited Feb 29, 2012 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole (nmm267) | 54 comments Soul wrote: "*@Gorfo: yeah that's true.. but still i m pumped up for march read, because this is the first time i m participating in monthly book read!!!"

Great! Welcome! I love monthly book reads - they encourage me to read books I never would've known about otherwise!

Gorfo - just out of curiosity - how do you decide which books we read each month?

message 11: by Neeti (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Neeti Sharma (neets_7983) | 96 comments Read this book a few months back..
Will read it again this month :)
@ Nicole good question for gorfo :)

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I just popped in to tell you all: ENJOY THE HUNGER GAMES!!
It was a really great series...
As always, I will put my review near the end of the month!!Happy reading!

message 13: by Mafe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mafe | 1 comments so far... i'm in love with this book!!!! :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I already read this and I did not like it. I was going to try to read it again but the number of holds at the library is too long so I'm just going to wait a while.

message 15: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

yo!

what do u know... i like it...will post the review when i m done with it.

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Soul wrote: "yo!

what do u know... i like it...will post the review when i m done with it."

hey S.
I loved this trilogy, although the last book was a tiny bit disappointing, the second book was the best of all!!!

message 17: by Soul, the Book Keeper (last edited Mar 03, 2012 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

@ Anastasia
Yes, i cant wait till i m done with them all!!!

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments 19 days till the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

message 19: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

we've got no update as to when the movie is gonna launch! this is so unfair!!!

have you watched the trailer :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgssLm...

it's heart pounding... :)

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Soul wrote: "we've got no update as to when the movie is gonna launch! this is so unfair!!!

have you watched the trailer :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgssLm...

it's heart pounding... :)"

oww!!Sorry to hear that...
yeah, the trailer is great! :)

Gorfo Soul wrote: "*@Gorfo: yeah that's true.. but still i m pumped up for march read, because this is the first time i m participating in monthly book read!!!"

Yay! Welcome to the dark side!

message 22: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gorfo wrote: "Yay! Welcome to the dark side!"

;) there is no great coming back for that statement...

Emily (godswritingmylovestory) | 10 comments Peeta is the best character in my opinion. He is just so sweet and caring and loyal. I think that he would do anything for Katniss including dying for her in any way even if it is torturous. That is true love. :)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Maybe it's just me but when I think Hunger Games, I'm thinking about a game of poker where you use cookies in place of chips..or heck potato chips even :O)

message 25: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily wrote: "Peeta is the best character in my opinion. He is just so sweet and caring and loyal. I think that he would do anything for Katniss including dying for her in any way even if it is torturous. That i..."

well you sure can call that true love.

when katniss volunteered to be tribute instead of her sister,for me that's true love.

message 26: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steven wrote: "Maybe it's just me but when I think Hunger Games, I'm thinking about a game of poker where you use cookies in place of chips..or heck potato chips even :O)"

well that's a fresh perspective :P , but it will change once you r through with this book.

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Steven wrote: "Maybe it's just me but when I think Hunger Games, I'm thinking about a game of poker where you use cookies in place of chips..or heck potato chips even :O)"

hahahaha!!! You made me picture that!!...and I'm on a diet!!! :P

message 28: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anastasia wrote: "hahahaha!!! You made me picture that!! ..."

here's something that will help you with picturing more vividly ...

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Soul wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "hahahaha!!! You made me picture that!! ..."

here's something that will help you with picturing more vividly ...

"

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!You should be ashamed of yourself!!! :P :P :P tormenting a person like that when they're on diet!!!

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments are you my friend or what??? :P

message 31: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

A Good Friend ...lol can't see you playing hunger games... ;)

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments No way!!! I was a Tomboy as a child cause I grew up with two older brothers and lots of male cousins but this....I couldn't do!!

message 33: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well you can always have an extra coconut or orange... or if you r way too much craving then two oranges r healthy too :P

i like to keep my promises, so u will often find me quitting coffee for a week.(it's a small test that i follow just to keep track of my sanity)

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments you can quit coffee????I don't know if I would like to do that but good for you! I did that with c-cola though, I haven't drunk that thing for almost two years!!

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Oooo now that picture of the chips has got me the case of the munchies :O) As for the diet I really need to go on one myself. I've gone out for beer and tacos every monday for the past month and let me tell ya that puts on the weight....I guess it's time for light beer and veggie tacos huh :O)

message 36: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

@ Steven, anything that helps you to win Hunger game!
:P

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I'm on water and grilled food......................
Christmas and Halloween(in Greece it is in late February), did ruin me!!!

message 38: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

hey Anastasia have u seen Supernatural?

message 39: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

*i mean the TV serial

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments *I was talking about it today with one of my friends...I don't have the heart to watch it!(you know why...:P )

Gorfo Nicole wrote: "Soul wrote: "*@Gorfo: yeah that's true.. but still i m pumped up for march read, because this is the first time i m participating in monthly book read!!!"

Great! Welcome! I love monthly book rea..."

Well the moderators split up who gets the final say by months. ex: steven does spring and summer, lovely little love does the fall and I do winter! :) We think of some books we want to rd or we've heard good things about and then we narrow it down by voting & then who ever has the final say gives it :) We also take into account what movies are coming out based on books (ex: beastly and now the hunger games) and if we rd a series we only rd the 1st book! There are plenty of other factors but these are the main ones

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments I saw that Hunger Games is free for Amazon Prime customers maybe I'll get my copy on there.

message 43: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steven wrote: "I saw that Hunger Games is free for Amazon Prime customers maybe I'll get my copy on there."

Hey, Good Luck with that ;)

message 44: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Well, it's a page-turner for sure.

I like how Katniss is portrayed as a very human young girl who is neither a rebel nor a delinquent, even tho' she breaks laws, is independent, and has a mind of her own -- she is still an innocent who has to learn to distrust. It makes the story, and her actions & thoughts, very relatable.

The most memorable scene in the book (for me), was when Katniss sang to Rue. There is not too much discussion about Katniss's singing voice in this book, but I get the feeling we hear more in the rest of the trilogy (which I have not read yet). Rue was also a very intriguing character.

The movie trailer looks very good, and I think we can look forward to the movie being faithful to the novel, since the author is also the movie's producer.

message 45: by Emily (last edited Mar 04, 2012 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily (godswritingmylovestory) | 10 comments Janice George wrote: "Well, it's a page-turner for sure.

I like how Katniss is portrayed as a very human young girl who is neither a rebel nor a delinquent, even tho' she breaks laws, is independent, and has a mind ..."

I agree. I think what makes the series so addicting at least in my case is the fact that Katniss is relatable and that Peeta is like my dream guy.

Gorfo Steven wrote: "I saw that Hunger Games is free for Amazon Prime customers maybe I'll get my copy on there."

Seriously? I should become a member!

Gorfo Emily wrote: "Janice George wrote: "Well, it's a page-turner for sure.

I like how Katniss is portrayed as a very human young girl who is neither a rebel nor a delinquent, even tho' she breaks laws, is indepe..."

Peeta is indeed dreamy. I never understand Peeta vs. Gale debates. What is there to debate?

message 48: by Emily (last edited Mar 05, 2012 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily (godswritingmylovestory) | 10 comments Gorfo wrote: "Emily wrote: "Janice George wrote: "Well, it's a page-turner for sure.

I like how Katniss is portrayed as a very human young girl who is neither a rebel nor a delinquent, even tho' she breaks l..."

I agree Peeta is the dreamier of the two! :) there should not be a debate on this. :)

Gorfo Emily wrote: "Gorfo wrote: "Emily wrote: "Janice George wrote: "Well, it's a page-turner for sure.

I like how Katniss is portrayed as a very human young girl who is neither a rebel nor a delinquent, even tho..."

I'm glad to meet someone else who thinks so! Many of my friends are very certain that Gale is the best and refuse to see reason. I mean Gale has that whole rugged thing going for him. But think about it, all he does it stir up trouble in this book. Peeta on the other hand is steadfast and true :)

message 50: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Gorfo wrote: "Many of my friends are very certain that Gale is the best and refuse to see reason. I mean Gale has that whole rugged thing going for him. But think about it, all he does it stir up trouble in this book. Peeta on the other hand is steadfast and true :)
..."

Without having read the second or third book, I'm going to hazard a guess that Katniss will have to follow her heart, regardless of what we say :)

We don't really know much about Gale yet (in the first book). And, it's not always good enough to love someone just because they love you.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.