Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Annotated Children's Classics

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Shilstone | 184 comments I have a growing collection of annotated children's classics. So far, I own The Annotated Alice, The Annotated Wind in the Willows, The Annotated Wizard of Oz, The Annotated Peter Pan, The Annotated Hunting of the Snark, and I have The Annotated Huckleberry Finn and The Annotated Secret Garden on order. Each of them presents a combination back story/author bio/footnoted text. All are fascinating. I now have a deeper knowledge of Mr. Dodgson, Mr. Grahame, Mr. Baum, and Mr. Barrie. I highly recommend Annotated Anything, as I have yet to be disappointed.

message 2: by LauraW (last edited Feb 26, 2012 09:17AM) (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 127 comments I have an Annotated Anne of Green Gables and an Annotated version of The Hobbit, which I also enjoy.

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7224 comments Mod
LauraW wrote: "I have an Annotated Anne of Green Gables and an Annotated version of The Hobbit, which I also enjoy."

I love the Annotated Anne of Green Gables (I wish there were annotated versions of the rest of the series as well). And I would love to have an annotated version of the Hobbit.

message 4: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 6248 comments Mod
I'm sure there are more than one version of several of these. I'd love to hear clarification. For example, I loved Martin Gardner's Alice in Wonderland. It's a trade paperback, with marginalia and appendices (iirc).

But right now I'm reading the Classic Library of Around the World in Eighty Days and it's rather bad. It's an oversize hardback (sans dustjacket) with illustrations and mostly worthless marginalia (defines 'wolf' but doesn't define 'wafers' as in 'stuck the memo to the window with wafers' for example). I hope, at least, when I get to the end, where the editors placed what they call the 'backward' that I won't be too disappointed.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Shilstone | 184 comments LauraW wrote: "I have an Annotated Anne of Green Gables and an Annotated version of The Hobbit, which I also enjoy."

2 more to add to my to-be-purchased list. I would like to have an entire shelf of these in my library.

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve Shilstone | 184 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I'm sure there are more than one version of several of these. I'd love to hear clarification. For example, I loved Martin Gardner's Alice in Wonderland. It's a trade paperback, with marginalia a..."

My Alice is the Martin Gardner hardback from Norton. Norton has published a bevy of annotated hardbacks.

message 7: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Norton is a good resource, for sure. So, are they behind all the books in your collection?

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve Shilstone | 184 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Norton is a good resource, for sure. So, are they behind all the books in your collection?"

Yes, they are, the reason being that they all showed up in the Edward R. Hamilton Books discount catalog I receive. $14 for a big beautifully illustrated hardback is a bargain too good to ignore.

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Shilstone | 184 comments Finished reading The Annotated Secret Garden edited by Gretchen Holbrook Gerzina, a wonderful book including an extra little gem of Frances Hodgson Burnett's called 'The Robin'. It's peppered with illustrations from a bevy of artists, no great surprise. Any illustrator worth his/her salt would surely relish ever so much having a go at the 'garden'.

message 10: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

I'll have to see if I can get that!