Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > Why I'm Not Going To Slam Jam

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roslyn (new)

Roslyn | 249 comments God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be at the Romantic Times conference in April. Much as it pains mrpe to say this, I won't be at Slam Jam. Why? Because they practice book bigotry. Yeah, I know the mainstream cons do as well. When was the last time a book with a blCk heroine won a Rita? Try never. But at least they have enough sense to not put it in writing. Amazing as some might find it, Slam Jam has disqualified any book that doesn't have a black hero from winning an Emma. I've suspected for some time that there was some hostility toward those of us who write IR. This simply confirms it.

Now those of you who know me know I really don't give a damn about awards, but this one seriously stings my butt. Which is why, as far as I'm concerned, Slam Jam can kiss it. And when are they going to get a real name? It sounds like a freaking basketball tournament.

message 2: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Feb 25, 2012 06:01PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Ros, another author, who goes to Slam Jam every year told me she won't be going anymore. She said they had a cruise the last time. Forgive me, do they always have cruises or not? I am not sure but she went on the cruise or something they had last year or the year before. She said said the standards of the event has fallen horribly. She said it was tacky and didn't seem organized like the other times she'd been. She was really disappointed this time around. I told her maybe with the economy as bad as it is, they slept on some things but if you are having an event you can at least be organized.

That sucks about them not wanting IR books. Wow. I mean they are supposed to support black authors yet they don't want IR books?

It's discrimination for sure. How do they think people who are mixed would feel about this? If you don't want books with IR couples then I can't see it making biracial authors feel too welcomed.

It's bigger than just books.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Scott (karenknowsbest) | 26 comments That's such a damn disgrace. Can you imagine the uproar if RWA actually put their prejudices in writing?