The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 25.2. Jenn Renee's task:Out with the Old, In with the New... and it's Fire

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:57AM) (new)

Sandy | 15613 comments Mod
25.2. Jenn Renee's task:Out with the Old, In with the New... and it's Fire

Spring to me is a time where the old is replaced with the new, whether by spring cleaning or new flowers growing. Spring brings SRC in a new theme of Fire. Since the spring is a time for something new, the books you read for this task cannot be re-reads. In the spirt of the task, you are encouraged to choose at least one book by an author who is new to you.

Choose from the option below. You can use the same one twice or pick two different options. REQUIRED: Post the option(s) you chose.

1. Read a book whose author's first or last name starts with the letters F,I,R,E
2. Read a book with a red, yellow, or orange cover. At least half the book cover has to be one of these colors. REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover of the book
3. Read a book with the words, Flame, Fire, Blaze, Smoke, Hot, Burn, or Scorch in the title or subtitle. Plurals and variations ending in ED or ING are ok but not compounds.
4. Read a book that has a flame of any kind on the cover. REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover of the book

message 2: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments reserved

message 3: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments reserved

message 4: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 866 comments Would this work for Option 2? It's sort of a yellowish-orange! A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 5: by JennRenee (last edited Feb 25, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Ann A wrote: "Would this work for Option 2? It's sort of a yellowish-orange! A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin"

Yes

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments I'm considering this one for option 2 - not sure if it's orange enough:

Miami Blues (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) by Charles Willeford

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Would this be orange or yellow (or both?)

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I will do When You Least Expect It A Novel by Whitney Gaskell for option 2. Is this enough yellow/orange?

message 9: by Bella Jayne (new)

Bella Jayne (bindarom) | 5 comments Would this work for option 2?
Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm considering this one for option 2 - not sure if it's orange enough:

Miami Blues (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) by Charles Willeford"

Yes

message 11: by Cindy AL (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:44AM) (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Would Shadowflame work for flame or should it be a stand alone word?

Also is this cover red enough? Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2) by Jocelynn Drake

message 12: by JennRenee (last edited Feb 25, 2012 05:42PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I think I will do When You Least Expect It A Novel by Whitney Gaskell for option 2. Is this enough yellow/orange?"

Yes

message 13: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would this be orange or yellow (or both?)

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens"

Yes

message 14: by JennRenee (last edited Feb 25, 2012 05:44PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Belinda wrote: "Would this work for option 2?

Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray

Yes

message 15: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Cindy AL wrote: "Would Shadowflame work for flame or should it be a stand alone word?

Also is this cover red enough? Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2) by Jocelynn Drake"<

Shadowflame would not work. No compound words.

Dayhunter will work for a red cover.

message 16: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Thanks JennRenee, I don't want to be a pain, but for the author name option, you mean F,I,R, or E, not that the name has to be Fire____, is that correct? I read it to start with the single letter, then I re-read it!

message 17: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Would this work for Option 2 (red/yellow/orange cover) - Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore ? I am going to get the kindle version in any case, but the cover appears more acceptable/orange on the amazon site here than it does in the goodreads link above.

message 18: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Cindy AL wrote: "Thanks JennRenee, I don't want to be a pain, but for the author name option, you mean F,I,R, or E, not that the name has to be Fire____, is that correct? I read it to start with the single letter, ..."

yes only one of the authors name first or last has to start with one of the letters in fire.

message 19: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments mstan wrote: "Would this work for Option 2 (red/yellow/orange cover) - Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore? I am going to get the kindle version in any case, but the co..."
yes it works

message 20: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Would Fired Up work for fire?

message 21: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Beth NC wrote: "Would Fired Up work for fire?"

yes that will work.

message 22: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments JennRenee, is Kiss of Midnight sufficiently yellow/orange? (Looks like half to me...)

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments i think i'll split the difference and do a new to me author and finish up a series that i've been lagging on

Mind Fuck - Manna Francis (F) - option 1
Dark Predator (Dark, #22) by Christine Feehan - option 2

message 24: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dee wrote: "i think i'll split the difference and do a new to me author and finish up a series that i've been lagging on

Mind Fuck - Manna Francis (F) - option 1
Milena The Tragic Story of Kafka's Great Love by Margarete Buber-Neumann - Manna Francis (F) - option 1
[bookcover:Dark Predator|97470..."

these will both work.

message 25: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Lavinia wrote: "JennRenee, is Kiss of Midnight sufficiently yellow/orange? (Looks like half to me...)"

yes I will take it. Mention that it was approved in help thread when post, just in case.

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (ragamuffin_child) | 68 comments Is When She Woke red enough? She is actually dyed red in the story, if that makes a difference.
When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

message 27: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Becky wrote: "Is When She Woke red enough? She is actually dyed red in the story, if that makes a difference.
When She Woke by Hillary Jordan"

Sorry the cover does not have enough red.

message 28: by Dee (last edited Feb 26, 2012 03:42PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments @BEcky - you could use it for the spring forward task - it is listed as dystopia - I read it this last challenge and enjoyed it

message 29: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments I just want to make sure that these 2 books will be acceptable for this.

For #3 i want to choose Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

For #4 i hope the following book will work The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

message 30: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments Would this book work for #2 of this task? Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

message 31: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Mariya wrote: "I just want to make sure that these 2 books will be acceptable for this.

For #3 i want to choose Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

For #4 i hope the following book will work [bookcov..."

Daughter of smole and bone will work but on the Leftovers I only see smoke, no flame. SO this one would not work.

message 32: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Mariya wrote: "Would this book work for #2 of this task? Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri"

yes

message 33: by Karen Michele (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:41AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1644 comments Is this enough red?
Dark Dude by Oscar Hijuelos

Or is this enough yellow?
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I could try to get a hold of the paperback, but I own the hardback (above):

message 34: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Is this enough red?
Dark Dude by Oscar Hijuelos

Or is this enough yellow?

I could try to get a hold of the paperback, but I own the hardback (above):
[boo..."

any of these would work.

message 35: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Is this red enough?

Ender's Shadow (Shadow Series, #1) by Orson Scott Card

It looks much redder on the main page.
Thanks

message 36: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Is this red enough?

Ender's Shadow (Shadow Series, #1) by Orson Scott Card

It looks much redder on the main page.
Thanks"

it works

message 37: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Super--- Thank you!

message 38: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Yellow enough? :)
Sweep, Volume I (Sweep, #1-3) by Cate Tiernan

message 39: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Lindsey wrote: "Yellow enough? :)
Sweep, Volume I (Sweep, #1-3) by Cate Tiernan"

yes it works.

message 40: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Thanks, Jenn!

message 41: by Dee (last edited Mar 09, 2012 02:50PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments JennRenee - could Cinder be used for option 3, as in fires leave cinders? I wanted to maybe read Cinder

message 42: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dee wrote: "JennRenee - could Cinder be used for option 3, as in fires leave cinders? I wanted to maybe read Cinder"

Sorry but no.it has to be one of the words listed

message 43: by Dee (last edited Mar 09, 2012 03:34PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments oh well, worth a try ;)

is the cover red/orange enough - Cinder (Blood Nation, #2) by Derekica Snake

message 44: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dee wrote: "JennRenee - could Cinder be used for option 3, as in fires leave cinders? I wanted to maybe read Cinder"

Sorry but no.it has to be one of the words listed

Could work for red or orange cover though.

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments lol, you were posting that as I was asking...thx!

message 46: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dee wrote: "lol, you were posting that as I was asking...thx!"

Lol how funny. Enjoy

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Would Firelight work for option 3 and
Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques for option 2?

message 48: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Sarah wrote: "Would Firelight work for option 3 and
Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques for option 2?"

redwall would work for option 2, but Firelight would not work for option 3. The words listed cannot be a compound word.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments JennRenee wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Would Firelight work for option 3 and
Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques for option 2?"

redwall would work for option 2, but Firelight would not work for option 3. The words ..."

Thanks JennRenne, I'll find a different second book then :)

message 50: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments is this orange enough? Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward

« previous 1