The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) The Magician's Nephew discussion

Creation of the world by music

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie In the Magician's Nephew, Narnia is created by Aslan's song, by music. It's similar to when Middle Earth of the LoTR was created, only that it was bigger with a symphony orchestra.

What do you think?

J.D. Field I've just remembered this. very smart Angie. And CS Lewis and Tolkien used to sit in a pub in Oxford and read parts of their stories to each other...

Michaela Yeah... The Silmarillion wasn't published till Tolkien died but I suppose he could have read it in their writing club... But Tolkien uses stuff from George MacDonald too... lol they all kind of rub off on each other :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited May 27, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

They both got it from Hinduism (both were interested in Eastern religions)- The sound of Om by Brahma being the origin of the universe. At least that's what I assumed about TMN.

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam I often came across ideas I already knew from Tolkien's books and wondered who first came up with it. Tolkien is my favourite author of all times, while Lewis is not really my cup of tea, so ...

Natalia I would have loved to be present at something like this!! to see a world being created would be amazing!

message 7: by Craig (last edited Nov 02, 2013 09:46AM) (new) - added it

Craig There are a lot of world mythologies that say the world was sung into existence as well as a few fantasy novels. The Finnish Kaavala (sp?) and Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys for instance.

Monique Not surprising at all. As J.D. said they swapped ideas all the time in their discussions. There are a lot of places where you can see the influence of one on the writing of the other. I often think of the dryad scenes in Prince Caspian, at the end, during the schoolroom/town battle and think of the March of the Ents.