Start by marking “The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)

The Magician's Nephew

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #6)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  396,497 ratings  ·  12,703 reviews
The secret passage to the house next door leads to a fascinating adventure

NARNIA...where the woods are thick and cold, where Talking Beasts are called to life...a new world where the adventure begins.

Digory and Polly meet and become friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their lives burst into adventure when Digory's Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends them h
Published May 4th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 2nd 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Nephew, please sign up.
The Witch Woman For me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of …moreFor me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

That means, that you should read "The Magicans Nephew" first.

(I, myself, read in this order...)(less)
Air I did! This quote was pulled from the Harper Collins Website: "Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began …moreI did! This quote was pulled from the Harper Collins Website: "Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began The Chronicles of Narnia, he wanted it to be read as the first book in the series. Harper Collins is happy to present these books in the order in which Professor Lewis preferred."(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
50,743 books — 199,470 voters
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
28,543 books — 67,973 voters

More lists with this book...

·  396,497 ratings  ·  12,703 reviews

Start your review of The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
J.G. Keely
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Suffers from the same problems as Lewis' other books, both his children's fantasy and his pokes at theology: Lewis' worldview is not sophisticated, and his sense of psychology has a large blind spot. However, it's not his faith that is the problem--it certainly wasn't a problem for Donne or Milton.

Lewis is simply unable to put himself in another's shoes, which is very problematic for a writer or a theologian. He cannot understand the reasons or motivations for why someone would do something he c
Justin
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's mildly embarrassing that I've lived almost 32 years and I've only read one book from the Narnia series. Well, I guess I've read two now, but I feel like I should have read those a long time ago. As an adult, it's difficult to even rate this book fairly because the adult version of myself wants to be all critical and make comments about how this isn't Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but it's not supposed to be. And that's fine with me.

Is this the first book in the series! Is it the sixth
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6), C.S. Lewis
The Magician's Nephew is a high fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by Bodley Head in 1955. It is the sixth published of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (1950–1956). The story begins in London during the summer of 1900. Two children, Digory and Polly, meet while playing in the adjacent gardens of a row of terraced houses. They decide to explore the attic connecting the houses, but take the wrong door and surpri
P
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics
“No great wisdom can be reached without sacrifice.”

I loved the narration of The Magician's Nephew, it's clear, imaginative, and addicting. This book took me book to the time when I was sitting and listening to my grandma's tales. She always told me about folklores. I can still remember the story about there's a ghost hiding in the closet, it made me so scared and never ever wanted to open the closet alone again.

This book literally made me feel like that. I kept wondering why I did and figur
Manny
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it
My autistic-spectrum son Jonathan is fascinated by the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He wants to know what her motivation is. "Why is she always so angry?" he asks. "Why does she hate Aslan? Who is she like?" These are good questions. I have suggested that he should read The Magician's Nephew, but Jonathan only reads the books he wants to read and ignores recommendations. A pity, I would like to discuss it with him.

The White Witch is the best character in the series, and i
James Trevino
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that make you feel good on a bad day. It just puts a smile on your face, whether you read it for the first time as an adult or you relive some of the moments of you childhood through it. And no, I am not that old, even if here I sound like I am ancient hahaha :)
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“Awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.”

If I could have doubts about my idea that reading this series in publication order was the way to go, this volume (number six in publication order, number one in chronological order) would have made the decision final. In this little book, C. S. Lewis talks about the origins of Narnia, how it was made and how it happened that humans got to visit it. It felt so sweet and rewarding to read the whole series wonderin
Dannii Elle
I have owned this beautiful set of illustrated hardback editions of these books since childhood and am only now getting around to reading them. After reading this spellbinding first installment I am so mad at myself that I have missed out on entering this world for so long.

I decided to begin reading this series in chronological rather than publication order (as per the numbers on my books) and I am so glad I did. This brilliantly sets up the rest of the series without giving any spoilers of what
Adrian
Oh gosh, how many years must it be since I last read this book, 30 ? or more, who knows, but I zipped through it like we were the closest of friends who met every day. A true joy to read, that is how writing should be.

Probably one of the lesser known Narnia books but the start of the series none the less and our first introduction to Aslan, and a delight to read. 5 stars all the way.
I had no intention of starting this series this year or even anytime soon, but I saw the boxed set on the shelf
Julie
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I hadn't been to Narnia in 11 years, and I wanted to take my daughters there for the very first time this summer, so I called my son (my Narnia expert) and asked him if I could skip The Magician's Nephew this time around, when I read it to his sisters.

My son was an only child for 12 years, (before the Disney princesses, Pocahontas and Jasmine, arrived), and I read to him, every night, religiously, for an hour, including C.S. Lewis's Narnia collection.

He's in college now, and he's a very respec
Taneil Linschied
Dec 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: 2008-books, classics
Despite the fact that The Magicians Nephew is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia, strangely, it is frequently overlooked. People skip straight ahead to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and then, at a later date come back to this book.

Personally, I like this book just as well as any others in the series. I love to see how everything got started, the lamp post, the wardrobe, the White Witch. Not to mention the beautiful allegory of Creation. The Magician's Nephew also has good morals
Allison Tebo
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
UPDATED REVIEW: Very excited about this one! :)

INTRODUCTION –

Once, The Magician’s Nephew was only three stars. It used to frighten me. It was different from the other Narnia books. But there were parts of it I liked very much and I tolerated the rest of it because it is, after all, Narnia.

Then I read it again at the beginning of 2018 and enjoyed it in a way I had never been able to before . . . and raised my rating to four stars.

I didn’t think I wanted to read it again in 2018, but since I pla
Deborah
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone - of all ages
Ida
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Starting Narnia while writing my Bachelor thesis was probably not the best idea..

description

“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

The Magician's Nephew follows Digory and Polly as they discover Narnia, how Narnia was created, how the lamp-post got there as well as the evil presence we know from the first movie, and also why the wardrobe is magical.

description

I love how the story was being told, and I kept heari
Mario
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
I really enjoyed reading this one. Fun and fast read, and I also loved reading about how it all started. And even though I noticed a lot of connections with Christianity, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I just enjoyed the story in general.

I think this is probably my favorite, right after Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
Piyangie
I'm not really a fantasy fan, but I have always wanted to read the Chronicles of Narnia, especially after watching the movies.

The Magician's Nephew, although 6th in the publication order, chronologically it is the first in the series. I read that C.S. Lewis himself had recommended reading this as the first in the series. Although written way later than the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, I can understand why the author wanted the readers to start his Chronicles with Magician's Nephew.

Here the rea
Juli
For Christmas when I was 9 years old, my parents gave me a box set of The Chronicles of Narnia. I read and re-read those books until they literally fell apart. I loved the magical story of Narnia, Aslan, the Pevensies, the White Witch, Mr. Tumnus, Eustace, Prince Caspian, Reepicheep, and all the other lovely characters in the series. I re-read this series every few years because the stories are still incredibly enjoyable for me. Religious allegory and symbolism never enter my head as I read this ...more
~The Bookish Redhead~
I first read these books at about ten years of age, and I remember that for the most part, I loved them. The Magician's Nephew is actually the sixth book of the series, but was written with the intention of it being a prelude, to The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, which, back in the day, was my favourite of the series.

I enjoyed reading just how Narnia was discovered, and meeting Aslan himself. He is probably my favourite character in Narnia. It was interesting to have some question's answered
Tahera
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, e-books
At this point I am trying so hard not to copy paste the entire chapter describing the creation of Narnia....it is simply MAGICAL!

So far in my reading journey I read three books in the 'Chronicles of Narnia' series, The Lion, the Witch and the Wadrobe (read this way back in the 5th grade), the Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the Last Battle (read them a couple of years back) and now the Magician's Nephew brings the count up to four.

I will finally be reading these books in actual order. Although
Erin Clemence
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“The Magician’s Nephew” is by all accounts, the sixth book in “The Chronicles of Narnia” series. However, the anthology I am lucky enough to own of the Great Lewis’ works, has this novel as the first story, with a description that it is “the order the author would want the books to be in.” It makes sense too really, as “Nephew” tells the story of how Narnia originated, and how it was first discovered.
I picked up this novel and re-read it after having a challenging (to say the least) few weeks.
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-shelf
Reading with my little girl. :)

The formation of Narnia, of certain rings, and a lion's song. :) And, of course, apples.

In certain ways, I liked the more than the first time and less as well. The first half was an awful old slog that had me as bored as my daughter while we were in dreary old England.

But once we got to the fight in the streets and the chaos that drove the group to empty Narnia, I think we were both pretty excited. From then on, too.

Quite nice to experience the backstory this way.
Michelle
'And as Adams's race has done the harm, Adam's race shall help to heal it'

I read this as a kid but as an adult people always refer to the religious symbolism in these books so I thought it was time for a reread with an adult (ish) head on my shoulders.

I'm surprised by how much I've forgotten! I really could not remember how the world of Narnia came to be, how the wardrobe came about so it was almost like reading this for the first time, or perhaps visiting somewhere you vaguely remember as a ch
Annie
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

Even though The Magician’s Nephew was written as the sixth book of the Narnia series, the story predates The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Seeing as this served as the prelude to the series, I chose to begin with this. Lewis himself is known to have shown a slight preference to this order of reading, rather than in the order of publication. And the reason to why I have chosen to start reading a children’s book now relates to the arrival of a very tiny human being in the Paul household, exact

Elaina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten so used to always having a new Narnia book to read when I feel in the mood and now I only have one more book to read. Then I'm finished! It's kinda sad actually lol But I really had a good time reading this one! Definitely another favorite! But who am I kidding? I've LOVED every Narnia book I've read thus far xD I would love to see this as a movie along with some of the others. I hope they continue making them! Anyone else feel the same? :P Great book all-in-all. Loved getting to see ...more
Nadine Brandes
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this to hubby. He is now, officially, a Narnian.
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis is one of those books I read just because. Because I’d read The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe when I was a kid. Because I always wondered what exactly Narnia was. Because I’d watched all the Narnia movies with my kids. Because it was sitting on my son’s shelf collecting dust and it had a number one written on it: i.e. first book of the series. So because of all those reasons, I wiped the dust off of it and read it.

This b
AnnaMarie
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was so beautiful.

Favorite quotes/parts:
"He put on a very high, shiny, stiff collar of the sort that made you hold your chin up all the time. He put on a white waistcoat with a pattern on it and arranged his watch chain across the front . . . He took his eye-glass, with the thick black ribbon, and screwed it into his eye; then he looked at himself in the mirror.
Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind. At this moment Uncle Andrew was b
Abigail
...and the deepest, wildest voice they had ever heard was saying: "Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters."

Here's what I think: there are favorite books, and then there are books that are part of your soul. So ingrained into your heart that they have become part of your very person. Narnia is one of those soul books for me. It's been years since I've read them, and I didn't even realize how much I missed them until I started re-
Annabeth
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow this was a really great reread! I noticed so many things I didn't when reading this as a kid, mainly the religious symbolisms of Aslan, the Witch, uncle Andrew etc.
A short but very enjoyable story :)

• The Last Battle (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • The Silver Chair (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)