Q&A with Stacia Kane discussion

Introduction/About

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Hey all!

I've never done this before, so I'm just kind of winging it. :-) But I figured I should give a little intro here so everyone knows what I'm doing as far as setup etc.

I've created a few folders: SACRIFICIAL MAGIC (SPOILERS), THE FIRST THREE, THE DEMONS BOOKS, THE SHORTS, THE CHARACTERS, THE FUTURE, and STACIA. Please, please feel free to start new topics within those folders all you like, or create your own folders. I'm here to talk about what YOU want to talk about and answer YOUR questions, so you guys are "in charge" here, as it were.

I'm watching the posts as they go up but hadn't actually intended to start discussing stuff until the 20th of March (honestly, I figured it would take weeks to get a few members in here!) so...I'm not really sure what to do! :-) But by all means keep posting whatever you want.

...I think that's it, really. Oh, I started the "Spoilers" folder for SM so you can start threads on individual topics within the book without having to use the Spoiler hide-r thingy, which I honestly do not know how to use myself. *sheepish*

So again, please, make yourselves at home! Thank you all so much for being here!

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 42 comments Thank you so much for setting this group up! I did use the spoiler-thingie in the spoiler topic, but that's just a second defense ;-)

My name is Jamie. And I have a bad case of Terrible fever ;-)

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 2 comments Like Jamie just said, thank you so much for setting up this group. Back when I first discovered Unholy Ghosts (August of last year), I knew I'd found something really special. A friend of mine (Laura!) and I then devoured the series as one of our first "buddy reads." And, needless to say, we fell hard for Terrible.

These are the kinds of books you don't want to end, and, therefore, have to force yourself to slow down so you can savor every last word.

March cannot get here soon enough!!!

Christen (GoldiloxReads) | 11 comments My name is Christen, and I'm a Terribleholic.

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ Christen a.k.a. Goldilox wrote: "My name is Christen, and I'm a Terribleholic."

LOL....Hi Christen.

message 6: by Stacia (new)

Thanks so much for joining, everyone!

message 7: by AH (new)

AH Hi. I'm AH and I am also a Terribleholic and I love your books.

message 8: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Hi I am Yodamom and I gots the Downside fever.

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 24, 2012 08:50AM) (new)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Hi, I'm Jennifer from The Book Nympho. I love the UF genre and thanks to some of the members here (you know who you are) I'm now a Terribleholic now too.

message 10: by midnightblooms (new)

midnightblooms | 11 comments Hi, I'm Midnightblooms and I adore this series--Terrible, Chess, Lex, the outrageous Bump--they are all so complex and interesting. No one is exactly what they seem to be. It's fascinating. :)

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Davis (redhotbooks) I feel like I'm at a self-help meeting.

Hello, I'm Jen, and I'm addicted to Downside. (But I don't want to quit.)

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 42 comments Jen wrote: "I feel like I'm at a self-help meeting.

Hello, I'm Jen, and I'm addicted to Downside. (But I don't want to quit.)"

HaHaHa! Exactly, Jen!

message 13: by Always Reading (new)

Always Reading (always-reading) | 1 comments My name is Lynsey and I too am a Terribleholic. I also think Chess is one of the most fascinatingly messed up characters I've ever come accross in UF and I can't wait to see where she ends up on her journey. I really would like the answer to that to be "drug-free" at some point. Not because I don't enjoy that part of the story, I do. But just because I love her character and want good things for her.

Thanks for setting this up Stacia!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Jen wrote: "I feel like I'm at a self-help meeting.

Hello, I'm Jen, and I'm addicted to Downside. (But I don't want to quit.)"

Too true!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 5 comments I am really looking forward to reading Sacrificial Magic and discussing with everyone!

message 16: by Negine (new)

Negine | 1 comments Thank you Stacia for this group!

Hi, I'm Negine. I love Chess and the whole Downside world! and it goes without saying that I gots a bad case of Terrible fever ;)

message 17: by Mona (new)

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 75 comments Just wanted to officially say HI! I love these Q&As and am so excited for SM to be released!

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Thanks for starting this. I love these books more than I have loved a series of books in a long time. I think I have read the downside books at least four times!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOUR TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not wait for more Terrible updates!

message 19: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Woo Hoo! It's a party now! Forget this self help biz, lol, I'm here for the hook ups!!! mwahaha... Ok, seriously, thank you so much for doing this discussion Stacia. It's really great considering (from you site) that you don't want to jump in on reader groups for the sake of our freedom of expression (that was so not a quote). I'm super grateful to share this Terrible(y) AWESOME series with all of you!!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments So, I am curious as to exactly what Chess' tattoos look like all the time and what they look like when she completes them. I know on the covers of some of the books there are pictures, but is that really what they look like or just an artist rendering, and I don't really see any spaces on them that look incomplete. Anyone else in the same boat?

And also Terrible's wings ... I can picture those a little better, but would love to see them!

message 21: by Mona (new)

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 75 comments Yeah I was wondering the same thing about Chess's tatts. I'd also love to see Terrible's wings and if I remember right there's some tattoo that travels down his side onto his hip (one presumes this as it disappeared into his pants I think), possibly on down his leg??? Yeah I'd like to see ALL of that...hahahaha.

message 22: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Mona wrote: "Yeah I was wondering the same thing about Chess's tatts. I'd also love to see Terrible's wings and if I remember right there's some tattoo that travels down his side onto his hip (one presumes thi..."

oh yeah!! all of that! lol

message 23: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments I keep wondering about Haunted Week. What was the catalyst that started the uprising? With soo soo many ghosts, how was the church able to contain it at all? Was the Church of Real Truth a legit or underground belief system before HW? Essentially, I picture BT as us now, well, you know 24ish years ago, but the same. So, were the Church of Real Truth members on the religion/ cult fringes, or were they more established?

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Sarah wrote: "I keep wondering about Haunted Week. What was the catalyst that started the uprising? With soo soo many ghosts, how was the church able to contain it at all? Was the Church of Real Truth a legit..."

I always wondered where the ghosts came from. In all the thousands and thousands of years before they did not bother anyone..........and why are they so mean? What makes them so mean? I want to know more about the Church because I am not trusting them as much as Chessiebomb!

message 25: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Re: above comment......I'm more than happy to gain this information as the series moves on, just some stuff I was pondering. I truly love that I get to feel a little bit smarter as I piece the bits together and come to a fully realized and substantiated conclusion.

message 26: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Yep, why so mean, and how was the ghost in Home different?

message 27: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments It's so sad to me that Chess can't even nurture the illusion of a pleasant afterlife, having seen the City. Really, what's left but the immediacy of her drugs and her life with T?

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ @ Sarah...have u read the Brave Tale of Maddie Carver? that gives u a bit more info but not all.

message 29: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Oh me too : P ....Mona wrote: "Yeah I was wondering the same thing about Chess's tatts. I'd also love to see Terrible's wings and if I remember right there's some tattoo that travels down his side onto his hip (one presumes thi..."

message 30: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments ❀ Sharon ❀ wrote: "@ Sarah...have u read the Brave Tale of Maddie Carver? that gives u a bit more info but not all."

I just re-read Maddie at your suggestion Sharon,thank you. :) Yes, it did answer some, and I was more aware of details this time around. I think as more of the history and reasons peek through I will have a more complete vision of the big picture. I certainly don't feel that it's lacking right now, just that the whole thing has so much room for growth. Admittedly, I was not as thorough with my 1st reading of Maddie, because, honestly....I was still distracted by my Terrible lust lol;)

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "Yep, why so mean, and how was the ghost in Home different?"

I know in Home there was a statement (not sure if Chess said it out loud, or thought it, or what) that 99.9% of the ghosts don't retain their consciousness. There are exceptions to every rule, and the ghost in Home, must have been one of them.

And I agree, Maddie does answer some questions, such as the Church being more of an underground organization, but what was the tipping point that made all the ghosts come back? And was it ALL the ghosts from the history of time, because that would be overwhelming, or just from a certain time frame, say the 100 yrs prior?

I am with you Sarah, I would be more than happy to have these questions answered during the course of the series, but if they won't be, then having them answered here is just peachy too. :-)

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ im definitely all for less ghosts and more Chessie and Terrible! ♥

message 33: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments HEY DOWNSIDERS!!!! Have you checked out the cage match???!!! GO....DO IT NOW! Don't forget to vote. It's quick to read, so don't bother waiting till you're done with work (or whatever).....Trust me, you wanna go now!

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/...

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments I didn't realize voting was up yet! ON IT!

message 35: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments WooHoo!! Chess is on to round 2!! Was there ever any doubt?!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Ok friends ... round 2 of the cage match is up, lets vote and get Chessiebomb another W!!

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/...

(P.S. sorry if you see this several times, I want to make sure this gets out there!)

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Since the actual Q&A starts today ... 2 questions!

1. Do you have an actual Book of Truth? It is quoted so often, it feels like a real book. I would love to read it sometime!

2. Will there ever be a story told from Terrible's POV? Probably not a whole book, but maybe a short story? I would love to hear his inner monologue!

And I just have to say, I am listening to UG on Audible, and it is really fun! I feel like it forces me to slow down, and I am picking up on more details than I did in the first two reads. :-)

Ok thanks!

message 38: by Laura (last edited Apr 02, 2012 07:49AM) (new)

Laura Carson (laurarcarson) Ok, so I joined a little bit ago but I have no willpower for spoilers so until I read Sac Magic, I stayed away. Finished last night (epic) so here I am! As Susie said way earlier we actually discovered this series a little bit ago and fell in love. We routinely buddy read and it became an instant favorite! I look forward to talking to everyone on here!

message 39: by Stacia (new)

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been so absent. Life intervened. :-) Just letting you know that to make up for it I'm sticking around to chat for another week or two, so please keep the comments/questions coming!

message 41: by Mona (new)

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 75 comments Stacia wrote: "Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been so absent. Life intervened. :-) Just letting you know that to make up for it I'm sticking around to chat for another week or two, so please keep the comments/question..."

DOUBLE YAY!! Stacia that photo of you at the Tower of London event was SO cute! You and Stacey Jay are the Hot Writer Mamas.

message 42: by Ferdy (new)

Ferdy (ferdy21) | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been so absent. Life intervened. :-) Just letting you know that to make up for it I'm sticking around to chat for another week or two, so please keep the comments/question..."

Yay..I love reading your responses!!
I wish more authors would make it this easy to ask Q's and on top of that give us such great insight and explanantions. I always have Q's at the end of most of the books I read but I can never ask the author because either there's no place to ask or I don't feel comfortable emailing them or their assistant or when they do reply they avoid the Q/give a rubbish reply that answers nothing.
So YAY Stacia!!

message 43: by toofondofbooks (new)

toofondofbooks | 22 comments WOOHOO!!! Awesome! Can't wait for more of your insight:)

message 44: by Davena (new)

Davena | 5 comments I think we should vote so we can get books 7-8!!!
Its at 176, now

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/40...