Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

General Books Discussion > Formatting. When Words Are Pretty.

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony Bertauski (jadedreader) | 5 comments I think formatting of the written word is often undersold. It's just words on a page (or screen, if you're ebookin' it), so what's the big whoop? It's all about the story, who cares what the words look like?

Two authors have changed my opinion, where they used creative formatting (font type, font size, etc.) to add a dimension to the ordinary look of a novel.

Wintergirls
The Knife of Never Letting Go

Anyone got a book to add?

Maddy froehlich | 26 comments Totally agree I love The Book Thief everyone should read it!

message 4: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 383 comments House of Leaves exists just to mess around with formatting. And the world is better for it.

The Peregrine Shepherd | 91 comments ★ Jess wrote: "The Book Thief"

Absolutely!!

message 6: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 1107 comments ★ Jess wrote: "The Book Thief"

<3 that book, epically the little definitions and things scattered through the book

message 7: by cy (new)

cy I love all the different types of cover fonts, some are really purty

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I can't come up with anything off the top of my head, but formatting can be really powerful.

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Beautiful Darkness or Beautiful Creatures, anything in that sereis.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Beautiful Darkness or Beautiful Creatures, anything in the sereeis has an amazing font, and the color of it changes with each book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

All of the Artemis Fowl books, everyone should read them.

message 12: by Tony (new)

Tony Bertauski (jadedreader) | 5 comments Forgot about the Book Thief! Loved it!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved House of Leaves and its formatting.

But I hate, and I mean hate, when authors use different colored front (such as Shiver Trilogy Boxset.)

The Peregrine Shepherd | 91 comments Impulse (Impulse, #1) by Ellen Hopkins by Ellen Hopkins had a pretty creative format. However, I did feel that it kinda lost its impact after a while.

message 15: by cy (new)

cy Melanie wrote: "I loved House of Leaves and its formatting.

But I hate, and I mean hate, when authors use different colored front (such as Shiver Trilogy Boxset.)"

sooo distracting! :)

message 16: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Land Why We Broke Up is the only one i can think of. The pages where glossy which was cool, but hard to read in bright light and the pictures were really cool. They were of things that she collected during a failed realtionship.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Cy wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I loved House of Leaves and its formatting.

But I hate, and I mean hate, when authors use different colored front (such as Shiver Trilogy Boxset.)"
soo..."

who wants to read brown or green text seriously!

message 18: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (katrinawelsh_) Baxter wrote: "House of Leaves exists just to mess around with formatting. And the world is better for it."

★ Jess wrote: "The Book Thief"

I agree. Book Thief used formatting amazingly, not just for the kicks of it. The formatting compliments the story really well.

I started House of Leaves a while ago but never really finished it. I think I only chose to read because I was in that limbo where I just read anything to pass the time waiting for the book I really want.
But I'm really keen on giving House of Leaves another go.

message 19: by cy (new)

cy Melanie wrote: "Cy wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I loved House of Leaves and its formatting.

soo..."

who wants to..."

I know, sometimes there just isn't a point! :(

message 20: by Kam (new)

Kam (iamwhowhoareyou) | 924 comments Shatter Me did, with the strikeouts and such. Although it were a pain in the donkey to read through the strikeouts. I mean, wouldn't you get pissed, trying to read through a random line in the middle of words through a fourth of the book?

message 21: by £mily (last edited Apr 17, 2012 05:25PM) (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 1107 comments The Knife of Never Letting Go series used it really well to show the noise and the alternating narrations.

message 22: by Kate (last edited Apr 17, 2012 05:44PM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close uses formatting really well.

He also has a book, Tree of Codes which he wrote by taking the book Street of Crocodiles, supposedly his favorite book, and cutting out words. (Street of Crocodiles) The whole book's like that. But what's even cooler is that all the blanks he made are still there, so a page can have more cut-outs than words. It's like a sculpture.

message 23: by Kea (new)

Kea Alwang (kea_alwang) | 11 comments Kam wrote: "Shatter Me did, with the strikeouts and such. Although it were a pain in the donkey to read through the strikeouts. I mean, wouldn't you get pissed, trying to read through a random line in the midd..."

Oh, that would make me nuts. I would feel like I was reading a manuscript in progress!

message 24: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (BrittyJC) | 1236 comments For younger reads the Clarice Bean series by Lauren Child uses some cool formatting. The whole book is set in her perspective so when the words change the formatting, it's like you get to see her thinking process. It's pretty cool

message 25: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) My Sister's Keeper plays with font types, it switches between characters on their chapters, it's really cool.

And then the Lego Ninjago books (like Zane: Ninja of Ice or Jay: Ninja of Lightning and etc) has some really cool fonts also!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Elysia wrote: "My Sister's Keeper plays with font types, it switches between characters on their chapters, it's really cool.

And then the Lego Ninjago books (like Zane: Ninja of Ice or Jay: Ninja of Lightning an..."

I liked that a lot in Sister's Keeper. It added a bit of spunk and spirit to the characters and you got to see their personality in a nut shell.

message 27: by Brianna (new)

Brianna In Invisible Monsters Remix by Chuck Palahniuk he ends each chapter with "Now please jump to Chapter #" and at the end there was still about six or seven that I had not read. Of those, about three needed a mirror to read and it was really fun getting lost in the book like that. Or just read Invisible Monsters if you prefer chapter1, chapter2, etc.

message 28: by Harper (new)

Harper | 8 comments The one and only Ivan used formatting to make the story flow well, almost like poetry. It was very sad though

message 29: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Elysia wrote: "My Sister's Keeper plays with font types, it switches between characters on their chapters, it's really cool.

And then the Lego Ninjago books (like Zane: Ninja of Ice or Jay: Ninja of Lightning an..."

I think Jodi Picoult does the "different font for different characters " thing in most of her books actually.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 3 comments Between the Lines It uses colored font and a variety of illustrations, which I find really cool!

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 44 comments I agree with a lot of other people about The Book Thief and some of Mark Zusacks other books like The Messenger. Both of those have interesting formats. Diary formats in books just lose their meaning on me, though; it seems overused...

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Mitchell (Fabulousness) | 23 comments What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows by Nora Raleigh Baskin by Nora Raleigh Baskin Had a cute format, as well as font. Is was a breath of fresh air compared to the normal fonts I see.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary Filmer | 15 comments Hi everyone just a short little information for you. If you want to see the little animation of my character Poppy the troll please go to my website. He is telling your all about my book Mary Sumeridge Beginnings which was published on the 10/7/13. It is the first of a fantasy series I am writing. Great little animation, I hope you like it.
http://maryfilmer.com/
Mary Filmer Children's Author

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I dont really mind as long as it has a clear font, ok size and the colour black, the rest lies in the book itself

message 35: by Daniella (last edited Aug 20, 2013 03:25PM) (new)

Daniella | 3 comments I liked the way that Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was formatted - the photographs added a certain eeriness and spookiness that the book needed. I also like the way Brian Selznick wrote/drew The Invention Of Hugo Cabret and Wonderstruck - it was like I was both reading a book and watching a movie at the same time. The actual writing fonts, sizes, etc. weren't monumental, but I like books that experiment with other forms of getting their message across. I suppose that means that I'm off-topic. *shrug*

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Price | 1 comments Good thread. I've always also believed when I open a book the presentation of it contributes to how I perceive it. With ebooks this is sometimes lost, however authors can PDF graphic images of their books and publish that way, just costs more sometimes. I'm checking out the recommendations posted here to help me with my next children's book. Content isn't everything, it needs something to support it as well.
My first post! Looking forward to participating more.

message 37: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy (stairstepjitters) | 135 comments Formatting is an excellent way to keep it interesting and set a book apart from the rest. The formatting in Shatter Me annoyed me but in other books like The Book Thief and The Knife of Never Letting Go really know how to use formatting to their advantage.

message 38: by bean (new)

bean :) If anyone's read any Ellen Hopkins books, they're all so prettily done. OwO

message 39: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 6 comments The Gospel Truth by Caroline Pignat has a format like Crank and Impulse by Ellen Hopkins. It's a great book too.

But I absolutely hate it when authors use a colour other than black like Shiver and the other books in that series. So distracting and I wasn't even the one reading the books! My friend was reading it and ugh, I can't stand it.