Start by marking “What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows” as Want to Read:

What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows

Twelve-year-old Gabby Weiss is in the market for a stepmother. If only her father would cooperate, Gabby would have someone to tell her what is and isn' t happening to her body. For awhile her father' s girlfriend, Cleo, forms a bond with Gabby. But when the adults break up, Gabby' s hopes for a stepmother are shattered. Still, sharing feelings with a woman has awakened ...more
Published November 12th 2002 by Yearling Books (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows

Start your review of What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows
Alison
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
A nice story that does tackle a tough issue but that doesn't feel like an "issue-y" teen book. The main character has something missing in her life that most other people have, and while the author treats this issue with the right amount of heft, it's not all dark and depressing. And she makes sure there are other story elements going on besides just the main "problem" this character has. Also the characters were fairly well developed, instead of just feeling like "the brother," "the dad," etc. ...more
Zoe G
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I liked this book because I could relate to the book and you felt like you were the main character in the story. I would recommend this book to girls ages 12-14.
LiaF
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gina Facciolo
I thought this book was a sweet story. It wasn't the most exciting to read, but I could relate to it because I am in school like the main character is. Overall, I would give it a 3.5/5 stars.
Marianne Su
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it

What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows by Nora Raleigh Baskin, is the story of drama, conflict, a story bittersweet and emotionally complex. This is the story of Gabby Weiss, who has lost her mother since she was three. She seems to have found a new mother when her father’s girlfriend is arriving at her house and staying longer, but everything goes downhill from there. Now Gabby needs to find once again what she lost, from just her backyard to the crowded streets of New York City. Whenever you lose
Alondra
This passage was about how a girl doesnt have a mom but only a dad and doesn't have anyone to depend on .She wants to have a girl in her life.So her dad meets a girl . they date but then they break up.It made me feel good and blessed that I have a mom.I learned that having only boys in your family is hard.I would recomened this book to my friends that are girls beacuse it really helps you feel blessed and happy that u have a mom.
Kashfia
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Book review
In What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows by Nora Raleigh Baskin,the character Gabby Weiss is going through puberty. A mom is who guides you through these awkward changes, but a mom is what Gabby doesn't have. She is in the market of finding a stepmom only if her dad would cooperate. Finally her dad found a girlfriend Cleo. Now bonding with Cleo Gabby was very excited to have a door open to womanhood. When the adults go their separate ways Gabby was again left with her dad and her
Katie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't typically like middle grade contemporaries, but this one was pretty good! I mean, it was still strange for me as an adult because I found I identified more with the protagonists' father and I understood what was really going on better (and sooner) than she did. I also didn't like how gender-specific things got. The things Gabby thinks of as "girl things" like what to wear or how to wear makeup, cooking, being a good hostess, ect I found kind of problematic, and the other things, e.g ...more
Linden
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm always grateful for book surprises, especially when the cover design hasn't particularly called to me. What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows is about Gabby Weiss, a young teenager who is working hard in converging directions. She is trying to figure out who she is as well as trying to understand what it means to be a girl. Her mother died when she was three and so she has no one to ask about such ideas, having only a dad and an older brother. Her father is dating Cleo, someone Gabby hopes will ...more
Elida
901/9D

What every Girl (except me) knows
By: Nora Raleigh Baskin

Book Review

What every Girl (except me) knows by Nora Raleigh Baskin is about a twelve year old girl named Gabby.
Gabby lives with her father and stepmother. Gabby 's mother died when Gabby was three. It is hard For a girl to grow up when they don't have their mother. this is how the character Gabby expresses herself. Gabby hates the fact that nobody has taught her anything about going through women hood.
Kendra
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advisory-shelf
by Nora Raleigh Baskin
224pp USA
Yearling
ISBN 9780440418528

TO be a teen without a mother is like your missing someone to help you with your personal problems. 12 year old gabby can't wait and wants her father to get a wife so she can talk and be like a girl growing with help.Finally her father gets a girlfriend and gabby and her are starting to get used to each other.But then Gabby's hopes are shattered when the parents break up.Then during all this brother and
Jessica Mitchell
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls going through changes in their bodies.
Jessica Mitchell, 10
Review for 'What Every Girl (Except me) Knows'
Nora Raleigh Baskin

I really, really, liked this book. I felt like i could relate to it a lot, even though i'm only in fifth grade, and i'm only 10. I felt like the friendly relationship between Taylor and Gabby kind of represented me and my best friend, Tamara, so as you can imagine, i really liked reading the parts with Taylor in it.
I also think that a certain part in this book will help older elementary schoolers and middle
Chrisanne
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth
I read this book with a 15 year old that I have mentored and tutored for many years. She struggles with reading so it can be difficult to find a book she wants to read and will read. We both enjoyed reading and discussing this book. It's well written and tells a unique story that opened my eyes to how very difficult it is for a girl to grow up without a mother or adult female to guide you through life as a pre-teen and teen. Gabby, the protagonist, was likable and realistically created as an ...more
Victoria Garcia
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazingly good. This book is one of those books where you feel like everything that is happening to her is happening to you. This book leaves off at a happy ending and makes you want to read more of her books. This book is about a girl who is trying to figure out how to become a woman without having a mom. It has some suspense in it and in the middle becomes a little sad but like I said ends with a happy ending. If you like more action I would not reccomend this book to ...more
Serena
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Girls, this book is amazing.It's about a girl who's mother died when she was younger, and now she has a stepmom. Her stepmom is really mean to her, and sweet when the girls father is around. Finally, the girl decides that she is going to find out how her mother died. This requires a HUGE adventure. From wandering into the city alone without permission, to trying to find her mom's room, she finally finds out about the mysterious curse that killed her mom....

I recommend this to every girl in
Diana Hochhalter
I thought this book was a great story. The main character in the story is Gabby and she is looking for a new best friend. Her luck has come when a new girl named Taylor shows up and they become best friends. My favorite part of the book is when Gabby went up to the popular girls at school and stood up for Taylor. The part I didn't like was when Gabby called Amber a bad word. Overall this book was very good and I encourageyou to read this book.
Kimberly Harrison
I had the pleasure of hearing Ms. Baskin speak at my school, and even as an adult found her inspiring. I wanted to start with her first published work (after many, many rejections) and was glad that I did. It's a little different from the average coming of age story, and the metaphor of the Walkill river valley flooding rounds the whole thing out.
Amy DeMordaunt
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it
A coming of age book that had its moments. Of course her mom died, so that's why she doesn't know girl stuff, and sometimes I just want all the kids to have 2 parents and love in their lives.

A happy quote from the book, "These were such friendly people, they didn't notice how crabby we were, and before you knew it everyone was as happy as they were." We need to be that kind of family!
Jessica
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Okay, I'll fully admit I'm a big ole softie, but this book made me tear up a bit. SPOILER! I have a wonderful mother and a wonderful step-mother and I was just heart broken when Cleo left. I loved the characters, I loved YBFs and I just feel all nice and warm inside after reading it. Quick and easy read, with a lovely and cute message.
Gabrielle
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Gabby (Gabrielle) Weiss is a girl growing up without a mother who is trying to find answers both about her changing self and her mother's early death when Gabrielle was only three.

Poignant and thoughtful, magical and praiseworthy, this is a great book, especially for girls in grades 5-8.
Cathe Olson
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a great coming-of-age book about 12-year-old Gabby who has grown up without a mother and desperately wants one so she can know what all the other girls at school know. She seems to always say, do, and wear the wrong thing. This is a great story of friendship and growing up. Highly recommended for 5th grade and up.
Carrie
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
12-year-old Gabby is trying to figure out how to grow into a woman without a mother in this poignant tale. With its thin page count, brisk pace and sympathetic narrator, this will be an easy middle school sell.
Alexis
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gabby has grown up with out a mother... She didn't even remember having one. But she gets a step mother and a new friend an things spiral down after that... This book is really sad and at some points really happy! But it was amazayn!!! :P Zayn

That was for you daisy
Gabby Weiss
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago. A friend told me I had to read it because the main character had the same name as me! I have read this book at least 5 times just for that reason, so I may be a bit biased when I say it's a great book!!
Paris Henderson
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This by far is my favorite in the world. The book is all about a teenage girl becoming a young wormen. She is learning the roadas of life and learning how to find herself. In the story the girl starts puberity,
Elia
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about a young girl who is growing up without a mother. When her father gets a girl friend she thinks everything will be OK. but when something happens she must face the challenges of puberty alone.
Chelsea
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A novel I used to love that disappointed me a bit upon a second reading. I also was surprised by the darkness of a particular event inside an otherwise light, fluffy read. It jarred me a bit. Otherwise, just okay.
Faith
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I can't decide if this is a 2 or 3 star-er. It has its strengths (most all of them in Part One), but I feel like someone should have told her to hold back on at least 20 of the "like a river"s.
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-readers
This brought tears to my eyes twice, and I don't typically cry during books and movies.
Holly
Good, but heavier than I expected. I personally wouldn't recommend it to my 12-year old.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Waiting for Normal
  • Home of the Brave
  • Shakespeare Bats Cleanup (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #1)
  • Lost Children Archive
  • The Pretty Committee Strikes Back (The Clique, #5)
  • Forge (Seeds of America, #2)
  • The Boy on the Wooden Box
  • Dial L for Loser (The Clique, #6)
  • That Was Then, This Is Now
  • When
  • Tell Me True: Memoir, History, and Writing a Life
  • The Rock and the River (The Rock and the River, #1)
  • Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation
  • Monday's Not Coming
  • Eyes to the Wind: A Memoir of Love and Death, Hope and Resistance
  • Touch Blue
  • Waiting for the Magic
  • All the Broken Pieces

I am seriously an open book. I've been writing semi-autiobiographical fiction since I was in 6th grade (1972) then, in 2001, Little, Brown published my first middle grade novel, about my life in 6th grade! titled "What Every Girl (except me) Knows." Sixteen years and thirteen books later, that still, pretty much sums things up.
“These were such friendly people, they didn't notice how crabby we were, and before you knew it everyone was as happy as they were.” 2 likes
“Old elbows," she told me. "A woman's elbows always give her age away.” 2 likes