Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Monthly Challenges > March 2012

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) March 2012: Witch Hysteria Day- Read a Juv Fic, MG or YA book that features witches, witchcraft or about someone accused of witchcraft.

Halloween in March :) Enjoy!

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments Oooh yay! I'm totally saving my copy of Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood for another week!

message 3: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Anybody have some YA recommendations for books on the Salem Witch Trials? I've read a couple good adult books on the subject, but I don't think I've ever read any YA.

message 4: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Jennifer W wrote: "Anybody have some YA recommendations for books on the Salem Witch Trials? I've read a couple good adult books on the subject, but I don't think I've ever read any YA."

Loved Witch Child by Rees (though not really Salem, but about that time) and The Sacrifice by Duble

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 88 comments It's more middle-grade than YA but Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem got one of this year's Sibert Honors for best non-fiction writing.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 88 comments My personal intention is to re-read The Witch Of Blackbird Pond. I love that book to pieces. Swoon!

message 7: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 109 comments Kellee wrote: "Jennifer W wrote: "Anybody have some YA recommendations for books on the Salem Witch Trials? I've read a couple good adult books on the subject, but I don't think I've ever read any YA."

Loved Wit..."

I just finished Witch Child, and would recommend that too. Has anyone read the sequel?

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15 comments Ann wrote: "My personal intention is to re-read The Witch Of Blackbird Pond. I love that book to pieces. Swoon!"

O.K. I've got to go back and re-read this! When I taught middle school, I would tell kids what a great book it was--apparently, it can't compete with Twilight, though. UGH!

message 9: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) @Roshini- I haven't read the sequel and have not known anyone who has. Maybe that'd be a fun read for this month.

message 10: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 109 comments Kellee wrote: "@Roshini- I haven't read the sequel and have not known anyone who has. Maybe that'd be a fun read for this month."

I agree! Now I need to locate a copy:-)

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann | 88 comments And, as promised, I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Oh how I love that book! It was just as good reading it as an adult, though the character of Mercy makes me cringe a little bit now. Everything else was still swoon-worthy!

message 12: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Ann wrote: "And, as promised, I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Oh how I love that book! It was just as good reading it as an adult, though the character of Mercy makes me cringe a little bit no..."

It is still good? That makes me want to reread it too. It is one the books I remember loving as a middle schooler and it spiraled into a fascination with the Salem witch trials for a bit.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann | 88 comments Kellee wrote: "It is still good?"

Well, it's hard to escape the nostalgia factor, but I did try hard to look at it for its own merits. There were a couple of places where a coincidence was a little too convenient, and Mercy is totally unbelievable, but otherwise it was quite strong. There are several plot threads going at once, which relate to one another and the characters. With that one exception the characters are complex people with more than one facet to their personality, and I generally felt that they were people in their own right. I'm realizing that many of the sub-par books I read feature secondary characters who appear to exist only in relation with the MC. When they're off stage I have no idea what they're doing or thinking, whereas in this book I think I can imagine. And okay so "endless chores and farmwork" is an obvious choice, but at least I know what they were probably thinking about while they were doing the chores off-screen.

message 14: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Ann wrote: "Kellee wrote: "It is still good?"

Well, it's hard to escape the nostalgia factor, but I did try hard to look at it for its own merits. There were a couple of places where a coincidence was a littl..."

You sold me! I probably won't be able to read it this month, but I will definitely bring it home over the summer to reread.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul | 16 comments I read Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill.

My review is posted here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Enjoy! And if you like any of my reviews, please "like" them. Thanks!

And I have an audio of The Witch Of Blackbird Pond. Perhaps I'll get to it and add another point to my total. I have a ways to go to catch up with some of you.

2 points

Total: 8 Points

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Just finished Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins yesterday. Very similar to Harry Potter but more gritty and laugh out loud. At first it seemed predictable but it really turned out different than I expected. I enjoyed it.

message 17: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Michelle wrote: "Just finished Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins yesterday. Very similar to Harry Potter but more gritty and laugh out loud. At first it seemed predictable but it really turned out differen..."

Welcome to the board Michelle :)
Hex Hall sounds intriguing.

message 18: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 40 comments I reread The Awakening and The Reckoning this weekend

Do rereads count? If so:

Points Earned: 3
New Total: 32

message 19: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Kayla wrote: "I reread The Awakening and The Reckoning this weekend

Do rereads count? If so:

Points Earned: 3
New Total: 32"

Sure! She has witch-craft-y powers :)

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments My Witchy March Reads:

Another Faust by Daniel Nayeri and Dina Nayeri (03/04)- 2 points

Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer (03/10)- I think the Keepers would definitely be classified as witches...- 1 point

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins (03/11)- 1 point

Another Jekyll, Another Hyde by Daniel Nayeri and Dina Nayeri (03/12)- 1 point

Total Points- 74

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I read Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins. :)

message 22: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Uh oh- Karis passed Kristen with her witchy reads!!! It is a monthly challenge face off ;)

message 23: by Erika (new)

Erika  (readingbutterfly) I want to join in.

I read Bewitching by Alex Flinn this month.

~Erika

message 24: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Erika wrote: "I want to join in.

~Erika"

Welcome to the challenge Erika :) I hope you find it fun and keep on participating :)

message 25: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Completed Tasks: March

The Unsinkable Walker Bean by Aaron Renier

Points Earned this month: 2
Total Points: 118

message 26: by Erika (new)

Erika  (readingbutterfly) Kellee wrote: "Erika wrote: "I want to join in.

~Erika"

Welcome to the challenge Erika :) I hope you find it fun and keep on particip..."

Thanks Kellee. I was also able to sneak in another witch story today The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney
Points Earned this month: 3
Total Points: 3

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

Total Points: 96