Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Cover Help > List of missing book cover images

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kara (last edited Feb 22, 2012 02:13PM) (new)

Kara | 11 comments We ran a script to find the most popular books on Goodreads that are still missing images. Hope it's helpful! Thanks for all you do :)

Most Popular Books with Missing Cover Images.

(Reminder: cover images can only be taken from library websites, publisher websites, author websites, or other non-bookseller sites.)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 362 comments Or, if you own or wrote the book, in the exact edition, you can scan or photo the image yourself.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Anyone can scan or photograph the image.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
If they own (or have in their possession) the book in question, certainly.

Kara was talking about acceptable online sources, which does not exclude other sources (but does exclude most other sites).

message 5: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Would it be possible to exclude books that haven't been published yet? There are quite a number of books with 2013 or 2014 publication dates. Maybe I'm being overly picky, but just seems like a waste of real estate to include these.

Also, what kind of cache does this page have? This book had a cover added 2.5 hours ago.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

vicki_girl wrote: "Would it be possible to exclude books that haven't been published yet?"

Good call. Working on implementing that now.

vicki_girl wrote: "Also, what kind of cache does this page have?"

It doesn't update itself; it must be manually updated. It's being refreshed now; please let us know when it needs refreshing again.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2012 09:13AM) (new)

Please limit posts in this thread to the topic of the list of books needing covers (and when that list needs refreshing). For other cover requests, please start a new thread.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I randomly examined three books on the list, and they have already been given covers. I also added a cover to ISBN 9781405206341. How do you want librarians to "update/refresh" the list?

message 9: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Lisa wrote: "How do I add the cover to my book, Mrs. Kennedy and Me? It appears that I can only add additional photos, not the cover itself.
Mrs. Kennedy and Me An Intimate Memoir by Clint Hill"

It looks like someone added the cover, it may take some time for it to update everywhere, but it's definitely there.

Jeannette wrote: "I randomly examined three books on the list, and they have already been given covers. I also added a cover to ISBN 9781405206341. How do you want librarians to "update/refresh" the list?"

The top of the page says "This is a static list and won't automatically update. It was generated on Wed Feb 22 19:24:54 -0800 2012." I suspect someone at GR will have to run and post a new list to update it.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I have put in a request for it to be refreshed.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ok, refreshed!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, rivka!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

This one has no pub date (except for 2012), no ISBN, and, I am guessing, no title. It's close to the top of the list.

message 14: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments It's a place holder for a book coming out this fall.

http://www.juliekagawa.com/links.html

It should get a cover when it becomes available for pre-order. You can just ignore it for now. :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 04, 2012 01:47PM) (new)

I just posted the info because I read your post from message 5, asking to delete "to-be-published" books from the list. It did take me a couple minutes to figure out why someone would title a book "untitled". ;)

message 16: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Looking at a few entries on the list, to-be-published books are still there for now. :)

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I think only the post-2012's got removed.

message 18: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments rivka wrote: "I think only the post-2012's got removed."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61... is on the list and expected 2014. :x

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I added that date after the list was most recently run, so it will get excluded the next time.

message 20: by Tom (new)

Tom | 73 comments May we get a refresher soon?

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Tom wrote: "May we get a refresher soon?"

Sure. I'll ask now.

message 22: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The list has been refreshed.

message 23: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) Is this where I can ask for someone to update the cover images associated with my books on Goodreads?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Just start a new topic under the thread "Book Cover Help" (Click on "Book Cover Help" and then "new topic")

Post as much detail as you can, and someone will help you. :)

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1 comments Hi,

Could someone please put a book cover on "Pharmageddon" by Dr. David Healy? ISBN-13: 978-0520270985 at Amazon.com. Need the book cover to show on my blog.

Thanks so much.

Lori

message 26: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Lori wrote: "Hi,

Could someone please put a book cover on "Pharmageddon" by Dr. David Healy? ISBN-13: 978-0520270985 at Amazon.com. Need the book cover to show on my blog.

Thanks so much.

Lori"

Lori,

We are no longer able to use book covers from Amazon. I was able to find the cover for this book on the publisher's website, so I updated it.

For future cover requests, please supply a non-bookseller source for the cover.

message 27: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

And please create a new thread. This one is not for general cover requests.

message 28: by Mark S. (new)

Mark S. Nielsen | 2 comments Can someone help me please? My children's book "I Believe in Jesus Too" by Mark S. Nielsen needs a cover and I don't know how to get one. It was just published by Deseret Book and it is being sold at Deseret Book stores, Seagull book stores, Amazon.com, and Barnes & Noble and a lo of other places. Here are some links to the book cover.

http://deseretbook.com/Believe-Jesus-...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/i-bel...

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23742 comments Someone got it.

message 30: by Mark S. (new)

Mark S. Nielsen | 2 comments Sandra wrote: "Someone got it."

Thank you!!!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

rivka wrote: "Please limit posts in this thread to the topic of the list of books needing covers (and when that list needs refreshing). For other cover requests, please start a new thread."

message 32: by Rinou (last edited Mar 22, 2012 10:24AM) (new)

Rinou | 101 comments For these books in the list, none are published yet, 2 are not even announced on the author's site : Tiger's Dream by Colleen Houck and The Soul by Stephenie Meyer.

For Untitled (Night Huntress, #7) by Jeaniene Frost, on the author's site it's just "coming soon" without anything else.

For Flayed (Fever World, #3) by Karen Marie Moning, the author's site just says "to be announced"

I guess some people are too eager !

message 33: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Rinou wrote: "For these books in the list, none are published yet, 2 are not even announced on the author's site : Tiger's Dream by Colleen Houck and The Soul by Stephenie Meyer.

For Untitled (Night Huntress, #7) by Jeaniene Frost, on the author's site it's just "coming soon" without anything else.

For Flayed (Fever World, #3) by Karen Marie Moning, the author's site just says "to be announced"

I guess some people are too eager ! "

So what is the policy for handling a book like this - one with no official publication date in sight? Leave them? Delete them if possible and refer those needing super-librarian help here? Something else?

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments They get left - people will only add back and some like to put on their shelves to remind them.

We would delete if the author indicated that they where never going to publish them

message 35: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Paula wrote: "They get left - people will only add back and some like to put on their shelves to remind them.

We would delete if the author indicated that they where never going to publish them"

Thanks. That makes sense.

message 36: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Reminder: Please limit posts in this thread to the topic of the list of books needing covers (and when that list needs refreshing). For other cover requests, please start a new thread.

message 37: by Gitta (last edited Apr 04, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Gitta (gittav) | 26 comments Can the list be refreshed again?
I've added:
The Last Girl On Earth A Novel by Thomas A. Ryerson The Cenci by Alexandre Dumas Long Time Gone by David Crosby

message 38: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Done.

FYI, the same two first books, which have no cover images yet available, are there. Just ignore them, please.

message 39: by H (last edited Apr 04, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

H (halm) | 2 comments I added:
Suite Francaise by Irène Némirovsky Spark (Sky Chasers, #2) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

What to do about older editions (like 1980s or 90s) that are hard to find covers for?

message 40: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Any that we cannot find covers for will have to remain without them. Not much that can be done, unless someone happens to have a copy to scan.

message 41: by Tom (new)

Tom Paine (goodreadscomtom_paine) | 1 comments It seems that my novel, America Rising, does not have a cover image. It has one on my author dashboard but not on the general website. Can you fix this or tell me how I can upload the cover myself? Thanks...

message 42: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

You uploaded an image several week ago, and it is on the book. Not sure why you think it is not.

Regardless, this is not the right thread for general cover requests, please.

message 43: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Reminder: Please limit posts in this thread to the topic of the list of books needing covers (and when that list needs refreshing). For other cover requests, please start a new thread.

message 44: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 70 comments Bad Blood: A Walk along the Irish Border is missing a cover:
Bad Blood A Walk along the Irish Border by Colm Tóibín
I have the exact copy of that book in my hand. I've scanned it into my computer and prepared to upload the image. When I click on:
edit details

I get the message:

The page you requested doesn't exist. Please check the url again, or visit the home page.

I then tried to add the edition as a new book. I clicked on "add a new edition" and received the message:

Sorry, only members with verified email addresses may create book records.

I thought my email address was verified -- it was a month ago!

message 45: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It may have been. Your email provider is one who had GR blacklisted a couple weeks ago. Looks like you got the email address re-verified, though.

As far as the issue with editing, that is a known bug which we hope will be fixed soon.

message 46: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 70 comments rivka wrote: "It may have been. Your email provider is one who had GR blacklisted a couple weeks ago. Looks like you got the email address re-verified, though.

As far as the issue with editing, that is a known ..."

Yes, I went and re-verified, and all is good on that front. I went and created another edition, without the ISBN number:

Bad Blood A Walk Along the Irish Border by Colm Tóibín

After the bug is fixed, we can replace this record:
Bad Blood A Walk along the Irish Border by Colm Tóibín
with
Bad Blood A Walk Along the Irish Border by Colm Tóibín

message 47: by Brandee (new)

Brandee Terry (brandeeterry) | 5 comments I added a few new covers and noticed that there were a bunch I clicked on that had the covers. Can the list be refreshed please.

message 48: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Done.

message 49: by Joan (new)

Joan Holub (joan_holub) | 9 comments Hi goodreads librarians:

Would it be possible to add a cover image for the paperback and hardcover listings; revise the title; and start a series listing?

This title is listed on goodreads as Thunderbolt of Doom. The title should be: Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom.
It's Book #1 in the series: Heroes in Training.
978-1442452633 paperback
978-1442457874 hardcover
Do you need a cover image? The image is at my publisher's site: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Zeu...

Thanks so much!
Joan Holub

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments Got #49

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.