What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

House of Stairs
This topic is about House of Stairs
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. children's book (I think) - social experiment [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leila (ray-ra) | 2 comments I read this book when I was in about 6th grade, 10-15 years ago. I've always wanted to find it again. I can't remember too much other than it was about some kids that, in the end, find out that they were unknowingly part of a psychological/social experiment, like lab rats being studied. I did a book report on it, loved it, and I remember my teacher telling me it seemed awfully dark for a children's book. No clue if it really is even a kids book. Wow, this is so vague. I think maybe they had to push buttons or do actions in order for them to get their food, too.
Thanks for any ideas you might have!

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments I definitely know what book this was -- I absolutely read it back in the 70s when I was a kid. I bet it will pop into my head later, but I sure someone gets it before then!

message 3: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica | 28 comments Is this the one where they're trained to do things based on red and green lights, and then they're finally released and out on the street and a traffic light changes and they all start to dance as they did in the lab? Name is on the tip of my fingers.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica | 28 comments I just went a little nuts with the Google and think I found it, or at least the book I was thinking of: House of Stairs, by William Sleator. Not to be confused with The House of Stairs by Barbara Vine, which I also recall was very clever.

message 5: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments Yep, that was definitely it.

message 6: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

rivka | 303 comments Drat! One I knew (because I had friends help me figure it out a few years ago), and I got here too late! ;)

It is a pretty freaky book, but quite good.

message 7: by Leila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leila (ray-ra) | 2 comments WOW! Thank you everyone!! I didn't expect anyone to know what the heck I was talking about.