The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENTS > The End of the Winter 2011 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:01AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17492 comments Mod
We’re heading into the final days of the winter challenge and there are a some things you should do now.

First, CHECK THE READERBOARD to make sure that the totals agree with your records. If they don’t, check the problems thread to make sure that there aren’t unresolved problems with any of your posts. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE CHALLENGE FOR THIS. Of course, if problems first come up at the end, that’s when we have to resolve them – but there is no reason at all to wait until then to resolve any problems that exist right now.

Second, DO NOT HOLD YOUR POSTS UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! There is no need for this – if you look at the completed task threads, people do move books around if the need arises, so there is no need to wait until the last day of the challenge to decide how you’re going to arrange your books.

One problem with putting off your posting is that the moderators are volunteers, with jobs and families and lives outside of Goodreads and the SRC. We cannot devote all of our time to entering lots of last minute information – so if you wait until the last minute, that means that it will take that much longer for us to process all the information and get the 20 and 25 point tasks in the works. You know how eager you are to see the new tasks, so let's all try to make this happen as smoothly and quickly as possible!

Another problem is that you run the risk of having problems, either with your own computer or with getting onto the internet or Goodreads. All tasks must be posted in the completed task threads by midnight eastern time on February 29. If you wait until the very last minute, you take your chances that there will be problems posting and that you won't get credit for the books you've read.

Finally, if you wait until the last minute, and one of your books doesn’t work for the task for which you post it, you’re not going to have time to move it to another task and read something else.

Of course, if you’re finishing up that last book at 11:30 PM on the 29th, you need to wait until then to post it. But, out of courtesy to the moderators and out of self preservation, you should not hold any completed task posts until then – just post as you go.

Please be very careful with your final posts. There are some tasks with specific posting requirements. If you omit any information you may not have time to repost.

message 2: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments As it's a leap year, don't we have until midnight on the 29th!?

message 3: by April (new)

April Wendy UK wrote: "As it's a leap year, don't we have until midnight on the 29th!?"

I hope so. I was counting on it.

message 4: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:02AM) (new)

Wendy UK wrote: "As it's a leap year, don't we have until midnight on the 29th!?"

Yes!

and now I know that somebody reads these announcements! :D

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments Ok, let's let our mods know their work is important by posting something here if you've read this announcement!
Hooray for leap year!

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Super Job--- Super Mods!!! :-)

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments we love our mods ;)

message 8: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments YAY Mods!!!!

I noticed that earlier for what it's worth and PM'ed Dee to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I just figured with the million you things you've got going on right now, you just happened to not remember it's a leap year. LOL

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments the onyl way i remember its a leap year is looking at my julien calender at work ;)

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 938 comments Big yeahs and thanks to the mods! I don't know how you do it (and have real lives - you do have real lives, don't you?)

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments The mods do a terrific job! Thanks very much.

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Pringle Thank you so much for you efforts in keeping everything a smooth as possible!! :) :)

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "(and have real lives - you do have real lives, don't you?)"

Sort of... LOL...

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15689 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Big yeahs and thanks to the mods! I don't know how you do it (and have real lives - you do have real lives, don't you?)"

Too much so, sometimes!

message 15: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 881 comments Three cheers for our Marvelous Mods!!

message 16: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Ann A wrote: "Three cheers for our Marvelous Mods!!"

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

:)

message 17: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Thanks for the wonderful challenges and your hard work.

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Chris wrote: "(and have real lives - you do have real lives, don't you?)"

LOL! I try...

Thanks everybody

message 19: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments yep! what everybody said. I had so much fun. Thank you mods for doing this.

message 20: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1721 comments Thank you to all the mods who do this! I am so glad you have kept this group going!! thank you thank you thank you thank you

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments WooHoo for our marvelous Mods!

message 22: by Sera (new)

Sera Yay for our awesome mods! You all are the best :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Chris wrote: "(and have real lives - you do have real lives, don't you?)"

Sort of... LOL..."

I am still waiting for my real life :) My bank called, my reality check bounced :)

message 24: by Carla (new)

Carla Ruffer (hpaddict) | 118 comments thank you for all your hard work, your dedication is much appreciated!

message 25: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments hip hip hooray!

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Thank you, Mods! <3<3<3

message 27: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments This was my first challenge and it was incredibly fun. Thanks for all the hard work you do!!

message 28: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Thanks, mods! And sorry for all the posts I got on the problems thread this season!

message 29: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 875 comments Mrs. Soule - I second your entire remark. Thanks to the mods and I hang my head in shame for my posting problems. We should have a 20 pointer where you are eligible if you DON'T require a re-post for a task with problems! That would totally exclude me but might make for easier work for the mods!

message 30: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Thank you to our wonderful mods for yet another fantastic challenge!! You guys rock!

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments I like Tammy's idea...lol!

message 32: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3874 comments I have always thought y'all were terrific, so I second each and every comment here. This particular challenge went quickly for me...too quickly!

message 33: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments That's a great idea Tammy!

message 34: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 143 comments Great job, as always, mods!! I check out the posting occasionally, and I haven't even participated in the last few challenges. (Still trying to psyche myself back up for this - maybe in the summer...)

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2401 comments I find this challenge is a great way of keeping myself reading. So I second every thanks that's been given to the moderators who keep this thing rollin'. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

The Winter Challenge ends tonight at midnight eastern time. Please post carefully and remember to include your Readerboard name and any posting requirements.

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15689 comments Mod
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

Sandy