The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Looking forward to reading...

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I was just curious if there are any books that you are patiently waiting to come out in the future...

For me:
Pretty in Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before theCondescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered Smart Ass Phase: Jen Lancaster's
Perfect Fifths: Megan McCafferty
Break Neck: Erica Spindler
8th Confession: James Patterson
Long Lost: Harlan Coben
Handle with Care: Jodi Picoult
Still Life: Joy Fielding

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Dammit Lori I put this in the wrong one... can you move for me?? Sorry :(

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
I moved ya. I figured I would put it in the "Curious About Reading Habits" folder, since it wont disappear quite as quickly than if it was in the General folder!

message 4: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:31AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle There are many I am waiting to read that are still in hardcover. It seems to take forever for them to make the move to paperback. I do have to admit I have picked up some good deals on e-bay on HC books though. That has been nice.
And YAY YAY YAY A Thousand Splendid Suns has FINALLY come out in PB so I am hoping the husband REALLY follows the list this year and I get that for Christmas!!

I want to read:

The Gargoyle~Andrew Davidson
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle~David Wroblewski
The Zookeeper's Wife~Diane Ackerman
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers~Mary Roach
Knit 2~Katie Jacobs
Belong to me~Maria de los Santos

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Thanks Lori :) I am usually so careful when posting a new thread!

message 6: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I think this one looks good The Likeness: A Novel

I hadn't heard of it, but I got one of those "Best Books of the Year" emails from Amazon a week or so ago, and this one was on it. I'm just waiting for the paperback (or PaperbackSwap...whichever comes first)

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I typically get all my books from the library, but sometimes the waitlist is so long for new releases!

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments The brave by Nicholas Evans next year!!!!!! Waiting for a year already!
And finally two days ago the new Patricia Cornwell- Scarpetta came out!!! Anyone bought it already?

message 9: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) My hubby is buying me:

Scarpetta - Patricia Cornwell
Cross County - James Patterson
Housewife In Love - Alison Penton Harper
8th Confession - James Patterson

plus loads more as and when I want lol.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I am looking forward to (in order)
- Black Flies
- City of Ember
- Dead Until Dark

Then after that...? I might just finish off the Twilight series (if I can get back in the mood for it)

message 11: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Heather, go and buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it will be the first book I buy when I get a job.:-)))))

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments I am dying, let me say that again, dying for Carlos Ruiz Zafon's newest to come out in June, 2009 - The Angel's Game. From what I understand, it's a prequel to Shadow of the Wind which is one of my favorites. The Spanish version is already out, but I'll have to wait for the translated version.

message 13: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Yes Heather. Shouldn't say it but one of the worst feelings sometimes is not being 'allowed' just being free to buy a book when you want to.:-)))))
If i wouldn't have had place in my luggage for only two books it would be better, with all the reading time that i have now!!

Petra bf in 2 days but I have lost my nerve (petra-x) Good luck to getting a job and being able to buy books, Jeane.

message 15: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments The Brave by Nicholas Evans.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Hmm I guess I'm not "plugged into" future releases - how do you guys find out what is coming out when?

Robin.

message 17: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) I'm looking forward to read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.

Petra bf in 2 days but I have lost my nerve (petra-x) I'm looking forward to reading Blindness if someone doesn't buy it before I finish my present book. Also a book Hamas about the Palestinian terrorist group from the point of view of the CIA. I think it will be interesting but I don't know if it will be any good.

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Hey Fiona - thanks for the link -- great site - they have my husband's second book listed for April 2009 - which is the correct date so they are pretty accurate from what I can tell!

Wife of GR author: Michael J. Sullivan | The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

message 21: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Robin, has Michael written any other books hun besides what you have already.

message 22: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Robin, The Crown Conspiracy is £7.99 from my local Waterstones hun xx

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments The Crown Conspiracy is the only released book - Avempartha as I mentioend is out in April. There are 6 books in this series and they are all written. It looks like the publisher is going to be doing them every 6 months. Even though written they still have editing to go through - We are finishing up the final review of edits to Avempartha now.

message 24: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) After xmas, I might see about renting (from library) or buying a copy of The Crown Conspiracy to read. Sounds like a great book.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Hey Fiona - thanks for that - I'm all about using the library and would like to see it more libraries -My experience so far is that if a patron asks it is more than likely to get added to the shelves so please recommnd it to your local library.

message 26: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Dec 07, 2008 04:22AM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Will definately recommend it, but unfortunately, its not available here in the UK for libraries. I have also added you to my friends Robin.

Asked hubby that after xmas I am gettin the book and he said fine.

I would ask him to sign my copies, but poor thing might be tired after all the book-signings lol xx

message 27: by Robin (last edited Dec 07, 2008 04:25AM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Lol - I'll fly him to the UK for a personal signing and write off the expense! -- I wish

message 28: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) When I get my copy, can I send it u for him to sign? Also, would he be doing any book signinings in the UK in the future for his books?

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Lol - on doing signings in the UK - we have to pay for the travel so we don't go much beyond our local area. It would be too expensive to mail the book for signing - it would cost more than the book !! (Book sells on Amazon for like $9.59 and the shipping is $11.75!!) - But if you really want a signed copy we can work something out - I'll send you a private message.

message 30: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Amazon are selling his book, Here is the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crown-Conspir...

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments yep it is for sale just about everywhere - I was surprised when I googled the ISBN and saw it for sale in Germany, England, Japan, etc etc. We actually have quite a few orders from the UK. And several countries in Europe - I keep a little peg board when I get an email from someone from a far off area who has bought it. I don't get the sales reports so don't know how many have sold "across the pond" but I have had emails from about 10 - 12 people from England who have read it.

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments OMG - I just clicked that link Fiona - it is #48 in action adventure in England - must be selling better there than I thought - since I've never seen his "ranked" before.

#48 in Books > Fiction > Genre > Adventure Stories

message 33: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) See, he will be pleased that his book is doing well in England lol xx

message 34: by Donna (last edited Dec 07, 2008 01:52PM) (new)

Donna | 137 comments Hi Jen, The Likeness by Tana French is the sequel to In The Woods and I would recommend that you read that first. The Likeness is on my TBR list too but friends who have read it say they were glad they read In The Woods first.

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison looking forward to:
scarpetta- patricia cornwell
the tales of beetle bard- jk rowling
the likeness- tana french
lion among men- gregory maguire

message 36: by Lynai (new)

Lynai I'm looking forward to reading:

A Map of the World
Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion Series#1)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) there are about a million books I can't wait to read, but I have 3 big ones coming out this year

Echo in the Bone (next in Outlander series)
Tears of Pearl by Tasha Alexander
Dead and Gone (next in Sookie Stackhouse series)

message 40: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Allison wrote: "there are about a million books I can't wait to read..."

Me too! I'm looking forward to reading that book about the library cat, ha ha, but besides that definately every new book I've recently bought.

message 41: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments I am waiting, not so patiently, for the newest No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency book to be released in paperback. I even pre-ordered it from Amazon. The newest Elizabeth Aston "Mr. Darcy's Dream" I also just bought (and now realized I also pre-ordered it! aaargh!) For anyone who loves PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, Aston does a wonderful job writing sequels and tie-in books. There are a lot of them out there but she's the only one I have found worth reading.

Also can't wait to read:
Guernsey
The Zookeeper's Wife
Dewey
Anything else by Markus Zusak

message 42: by Christi (new)

Christi | 35 comments Mari Anne, I really enjoyed The Zookeeper's Wife.

I'm looking forward toLast Night in Twisted River by John Irving which is supposed to be out in October I believe. Also I really want to readThe Girl Who Played With Fire and also The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (which I couldn't find the link to) They are the 2nd and 3rd books in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Steig Larsson.

message 43: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments I'm looking forward to Larsson's 2nd book as well, as well as finally reading Gabaldon's "A Breath of Snow and Ashes".

Also at the top of the list of books I’m looking forward to reading this year:

Harlen Coben - Long Lost (March 31)
Michael Connelly - The Scarecrow (May 26)
John Hart - The Last Child (May 12)
Jasper Fforde – Shades of Gray (July 22)

message 44: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments I just picked up "Shadow Of the Wind" which I also heard about on Goodreads and can't wait to read.

I just finished (in one day and almost one sitting) "Slumdog Millionaire" which I heard was an incredible movie. The book was amazing!

message 45: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 828 comments "All Clear" by Connie Willis

It will be the third book of her time travel/University of Oxford series.

The first two books were Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog.

message 46: by Amy (last edited Mar 05, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

Amy | 16 comments I typically don't follow new book being a cheapskate. :P I just pick up my books from the library but I'm so looking forward to City of Glass by Cassandra Clare.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Yay Fiona!!!! I have finally "pushed" a book:)