Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > Anyone here enjoy a good "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek?"

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassiel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Cassiel I did not enjoy "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek". Why did it shock you?

"The Living" really depressed and disturbed me. Although I accept logging as part of history of my region, I really don't like stories about and photos of lumberjacks standing proudly astride 800 year old trees turned into logs.

message 2: by Nathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Nathan (NathanHeller) | 5 comments The book probably would have been better if her husband had finished it instead of letting his wife steal it from him. (Richard was the superior Dillard, and Annie knew it; she retained his name long after leaving him.)

NC

message 3: by Margo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Margo Solod | 18 comments arrrgghhh
i have to strongly disagree
rh dillard is a great teacher, he has turned out some amazing writers, two of which were wives of his at one time. both grad students of his.
annie dillard being the most famous and an absolutely brilliant writer. cathryn hankla a damn fine poet.
i agree her Idillard's)nonfiction is better than her fiction, but i find him completely unreadable.
i am curious to know why you were shocked, kristyn. i found the book profoundly moving, and it changed the way i looked at nature. i read it in the late seventies or early eighties, not too long after it came out, and have been an avid fan ever since.
(ok, bring it on, i can take it!)

message 4: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Kate (KateMaver) Shocked is one word I wouldn't use to describe Pilgrim. Not a criticism of Kristyn. I'm just puzzled by that reaction. I don't know anything about her Dillard husband, and can't comment on his influence on her. The book--whoever is responsible for it--helped me learn how to really see and appreciate even the smallest things that happen right in front of me.

message 5: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore I really liked American Childhood, so later I chose PATC for my bookclub without having read it before hand. Ugh...at our meeting nobody, including me, had finished it! While some of us thought it was a "worthwhile" read, I still (8 years later) get razzed about that choice!