College Students! discussion

fun and games > Inked?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I love tattoos because they can show you a person's soul. So I was just wondering if anyone had any, what they are and where. Or if you think it would be cool but don't have one, or maybe what you would get if they weren't permanent.

I personally have one that is on my right foot. It is a beautiful bouquet of flowers including a rose, sunflower, a few daisies, bleeding hearts, forget-me-nots, and a dandelion. I'm also going to get another one next summer of a bass/treble clef heart on my left hip.

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I don't have any tattoos...but if i did..i think i would get a small tattoo..i think something in remembrance of my mother.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I've been thinking about a couple of tattoos I would like for a couple of years now. I've just been too broke and too busy to go get them done, but I'm hoping by next summer I will get them. I want an anchor on my left wrist and then my area code of where my family lives as a reminder of where I come from.. I'm thinking of getting the area code in roman numerals because it looks nicer.. but it's also kind of long like that, so I'm still trying to work it out.
The other is just a tiny tattoo I want behind one of my ears of a couple music notes. I'm pretty sure the pain from that is going to be awful though!

message 4: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Jamie that's cool that you would get something for her!

Heather those all sound so cool! I wanted to get a heart wrapped in a sheet of music. I've heard that the ones around your ears don't hurt.

message 5: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I have eight tattoos. Currently. In order (maybe?) they are:
1. An anchor with a banner that has my mom's parents names on it. It's on my stomach/right hip area.
2-3. Science vs. Romance on my forearms. A robot on one and a heart on the other (semi visibile in my profile picture). I love them but will probably get them covered up.
4. Skull and crossbones with hearts for eyes. Very spur of the moment, will probably also be covered eventually.
5. Across the back of my thigh are four skeletons playing in a band with a cat sitting with them. An altered version of a Josh Agle print from shag.com, but I don't think it's still up there.
6. Heart on the ring finger of my left hand.
7. The air hockey tattoo. Two air hockey hammers with a traditional style rose behind it. They look like sombreros, people ask me about it all the time. Right about the elbow of my right arm.
8. Rocket ship taking off on my foot.

In the spring I'm hoping to start a piece that is huge blooming flowers and hummingbirgs, as either a quarter sleeve or from ribs to butt on my left side.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments ooh Justine, I love the sound of all of your tattoos. Very cool!

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet I was supposed to get one for my birthday this last summer but it didn't end up working out and then when I had the time, my boyfriend didn't have the money to get me one. That's ok though, I'll try for next summer.

I am going to get Daphne Cneorum (suh-NOR-um) on my left foot. It's a flower and you can look it up on google images, if you're curious. It's to remember my dog who passed away in April somewhat out of the blue and her name was Daphne. Some people think it's weird I am getting one for my dog but I miss her and I loved her and she was always there for me.

Everyone else's tattoos sound really nice and your ideas sound great! I really like tattoos when they have meaning to them.

message 8: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I would love to get a tattoo, but I am too chicken. Big baby when it comes to needles. or any pain for that matter.

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments It's definitely not weird to get something in remembrance of your dog. Dogs are like people, and they are a part of your family and have distinct personalities. Of course we love them so much!
Anywho, I've been wanting to get a tattoo for quite some time, but I really need to be positive of what I want, and I'm not sure at this point.
I thought of getting "Truth Beauty Freedom Love" somewhere, because they're all things that are important to me (and I love Moulin Rouge!), but we'll see.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) | 109 comments I have two. One is a set of cherries on a stem on the front of my right hip. No meaning behind it, just thought it was cute. The other is a green star on the inside of my right wrist. Just before my grandmother passed away she told me that I was the shining star in her life that she could always depend on. So I got the star where I can constantly see it and be reminded of her, and I chose green because that was her favorite color.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I've got one so far. And it's true what they say.. once you get one, you want more! It's a heart on my left foot. I got it because I love hearts and because my mom has the same tat on her foot. So it's sort of a bonding thing. The next one I will get will be a cherub (sp?) on my back. A cherub is one of those cute baby angels on the ceiling of the church that Michealangeo painted. Sorry... I was not in the mood to spell check today. =)

message 12: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Justine your tattoos sound cool!

Janet it's not weird that you want to get one to remember your dog, especially one so pretty!

Kels, you know what is sad is that I knew what that was from before you said you loved Moulin Rouge!

Amanda that is cool that you got one to remember your grandma!

OOOO cute Lauren!

I was silly and forgot to say why I got mine...When I was nine I heard a song called "Flower Tattoo" by The W's and it said "hair is gold, eyes are blue, I'm in love with a girl with a flower tattoo." and so I decided I would know who I would marry because they would have to dedicate that song to me or something similar. So anyways about three months after my boyfriend and I started dating he was like hey this song reminds me of you! He only knew I wanted a flower tattoo but not why. We didn't even know the other one listened to that band. So that was crazy!

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet Caiti that is an awesome story! I love when things like that happen. It's just so cool and amazing.

message 14: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

aww caiti that is really cute!!
haha the W's..i haven't listened to them in forever! might have to bust them out! :)

message 15: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Yes yes they are always a fun listen.

message 16: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments I have a cute little star on my foot.

message 17: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments I'm planning on getting one when I have some more money!!

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison i have a couple that i want to get, but am still deciding on the for sure placement of them.

i want to get a pretty script A with angel wings surrounding it (not like, flying up and away, but curved downward, almost cradling)- in honor of my sister. she didn't pass away, but she is disabled and i believe with all my heart that she was sent to be my guardian angel. i'm pretty positive that i want to get that one between my shoulder blades.

i also want to get 'i am not afraid, i was born to do this'. i would like to get one line on each wrist, but i can't decide if i should get it facing me, or facing and aligned where other people could read it. i'm also considering getting it on the back of my neck, right under my hair line.

message 19: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments Allison..i like those ideas!

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I know I'm getting the words "Wonder" and "Wander" on the the arches of my feet (left and right respectively). They remind me of a really great time in my life, and remind me always keep wondering and learning as I wander through life. I will be getting them (hopefully) in August. They will be my first.

I also want a few more text tattoos, because I think they are both beautiful and very expressive, but I'm not sure exactly what or where yet. Maybe song lyrics, or a quote? I'm sure I'll know when I find it. I think that having text going down the spine looks really cool, so I may do that eventually.

I love the idea of getting a small tattoo on the back of my neck right below the hair line, where it can be covered by my think hair. I also know that I will eventually get one on the tops of my feet, though I haven't quite decided the design yet.

I definitely want to get something small behind my ears, possibly a small anchor behind one and a small feather behind the other, to remind me to both stand fast and fly free.

And someday when I have kids, I will probably get tattoos for them, like a symbol for them or their birthdays or something. My boyfriend's dad has that and I think it's really sweet.

I swear, someday I will be totally broke and have a bunch of tattoos.

message 21: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Maybe small and inconspicuous? Stars are important to me.

But mostly, knowing how prone I am to change, I think it's impossible to pick something I would be happy to keep forever. Commitment issues, I guess?

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I understand the commitment thing completely. That's why the one I'm getting right now is more of a memory thing instead of a symbol of who I am as a person. I know I'll always have those memories of that great time in my life, so I can't possibly change in a way that would make this tattoo irrelevant.
Maybe that's why I haven't though of any other text tattoos yet. I guess I'm afraid to get something that I might not like or agree with in the future.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) | 109 comments I plan on getting my third one. It will be on my left wrist. I am taking one of the clocks from Dali's painting "The Persistance of Memory" and changing the time to the time that my father passed away. Then underneath it 1936-2009

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I love tattoos but like Nools have a little commitment phobia. I started saving up money because I planned to get one for my college graduation but I couldn't decide what to get so I bought a knife set instead.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Caiti, I knew she what she was talking about right away too, I love that movie!

I don't have any tattoos, and I won't ever get one. Its just me. But my cousins have a really cool one. We were all really close to my Grandpa (we called him Gramps, or G-pa) he was a hero to us, he served in the Air Force, was a medic in the war, grew up on a ranch, I mean he was a REAL cowboy. He had some of the most amazing stories to tell. (Obviously the hero worship never wore off) Anyway, when he died a few year ago each of my guy cousins got a matching tattoo. It’s a gun (a 22 rifle if I remember right) it’s set at sort of an angle but mostly vertical with boots (like the type of boots he wore with his Air Force uniform) at the bottom and a cowboy hat at the top, and then his name and the years he lived are all tied in. I want to try and have a necklace made to match. I have no idea where to even start looking for someone who could do that though.

message 26: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments I've never felt the desire to get a tattoo. Also, what N. said about changing one's mind is quite significant. I wouldn't want to regret something like that.

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Amanda: That's such a beautiful idea.

message 28: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 188 comments I have always been fasinated by history especially the Aztecs. I love reading about them and learning everything I can about them. I eventually want to get the Aztec calendar on my back. I love all the detail that it has. I love it and hope to get it soon.

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I've wanted to get a pink lotus flower on my left shoulder for over two years now that represents both India as well as Tibetan Buddhism as well as my own personal growing-out-of-the-mud.

I'm thinking now it would be cool to put the Tibetan flag within the lotus, or just get a huge, scary snow lion somewhere else on my body, maybe the other shoulder.

message 30: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Kimberly, I have an old friend who hand makes jewelry in silver, so if you don't mind it being silver, he could probably do it. I will see if I can find his business card and I will send you the contact info.

I am afraid of the pain, so that is probably why I don't have a tattoo. I did ask about one once, when I got my belly button pierced years ago, a Cubs emblem on my ankle, and they told me they wouldn't do it because it was copywrited! Then just two weekends ago, I see a guy with it on his arm. As I talked to him about it, we decided the tattoo artist must have been a St Louis fan.

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Tami wrote: "Kimberly, I have an old friend who hand makes jewelry in silver, so if you don't mind it being silver, he could probably do it. I will see if I can find his business card and I will send you the co..."

I actually prefer silver. That would be great if you could send me his info, thanks!

message 32: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Anyone get any tattoos recently?

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I didn't but my cousin got a tattoo with his daughters name and a baby footprint.

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) my best friend her lip peirced once and I don't think it was too bad. She is a pretty big whiner and she hardly complained at all.

message 35: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I've seriously been thinking of getting a tattoo while I'm in school. I want to get the kanji symbol for "dream" on the inside of my left wrist. I've always been an imaginative person, and I'm caught daydreaming a lot! LOL I think the kanji symbol would represent a big part of my personality.

message 36: by Emily (last edited Apr 24, 2010 05:28PM) (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I've got my next one planned out. It's going to be a flock of birds, but only in black silhouette. They will be flying across my right shoulder blade. There will be 14 birds, each of which will be one of the indigenous species of finches found in the Galapagos islands, also known as Darwin's finches. I love the idea of getting a flock of birds. I am a bit of a bird watcher, in that I like to know the names of the birds at my window. And since I am so in love with science and the beauty of the natural world as created by evolution, I thought that this would be the perfect tattoo for me.

message 37: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 214 comments Emily wrote: "I've got my next one planned out. It's going to be a flock of birds, but only in black silhouette. They will be flying across my right shoulder blade. There will be 14 birds, each of which will be ..."

That's a neat idea!

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) that's very cool Emily!

message 39: by Mykee (new)

Mykee  Tan  (chineseveganboy) | 28 comments I have an armor tattoo with a Celtic shield knot on my entire left shoulder. Also, the majority of my back is covered with different demon-leaf man faces and a Yin and Yang symbol.

I'm going to finish my back on October and maybe get another piece on my rib cage or my right shoulder on December.

message 40: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 214 comments I have been wanting to get a tattoo for a long time. I almost got one with my friend before she moved to Ecuador and might still get it when she moves back. I was thinking about getting scratch marks on my left shoulder blade. I also want to get a quote tattooed somewhere but I can't decide on which one to get or where I would put it. One of my fav quotes is "Time don't go back...It goes forward...Can't run from the pain...Go toward it."

message 41: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Quick question for those that have tatoos: Have you ever had the need to cover it up?

I remember my ex had to go to court, and he had a huge one of a monster on his arm (from when he was 15 Who lets a 15 year old get a tatoo without his parents) Anyways, he had the hardest time finding a long sleeve shirt that would cover it that he liked. I was amused.

I also was channel surfing and the wedding dress sell reality show was on (don't know the name) and the sales lady was horified because the bride didn't want hers covered. She had arms sleeves and pretty much clear from shoulder to shoulder inked.

message 42: by Zach (new)

Zach Irvin | 27 comments just got my first tattoo on the back of my arm. fantastic.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) what did you get Zach?

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Tami wrote: "Quick question for those that have tatoos: Have you ever had the need to cover it up?

I remember my ex had to go to court, and he had a huge one of a monster on his arm (from when he was 15 Who..."

I have "Live Laugh Love" tattooed around my left wrist, and haven't needed to cover it up. I can't imagine really ever running into that... if a job or employer has an issue with it, then it looks like I don't need to work there that badly. Besides, it's not big, ugly, or offensive. A lot of people thought that a wrist tattoo would be a problem because it's so visable, but so far all I've gotten in compliments!

message 45: by Mykee (new)

Mykee  Tan  (chineseveganboy) | 28 comments Tami wrote: "Quick question for those that have tatoos: Have you ever had the need to cover it up?

All my tattoos are under my shirt so if I ever get a job at a corporation or something, it wouldn't be an issue. I actually planned out the placements beforehand so that my tattoos wouldn't affect my future career.

message 46: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten I am inked. I have a river otter in my left shoulder, and am considering another tattoo, but unsure when/where I'll get it.

I have mine so that I can hide it, and when shopping, I make sure it's not visible. My logic is that if anyone can see my tattoo (or cares if they do), I'm probably inappropriately dressed for the situation I'm in.

message 47: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I haven't thought much about getting a literary tattoo, but if I did I'd probably get something like a quote. I was thinking about the last three lines of T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock":

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I think I'm going to get a new tattoo at the end of the month, for my birthday. I'm debating between 3 different ideas...

1. I want to add to my Live Love Laugh tattoo, I was thinking about getting the celtic knot pattern from the Outlander series (see Claire's ring on theauthorsattic.com) tattooed around it.

2. I really want the infinity symbol (an 8 on it's side), but I think I want it a little pretty-fied. Probably would get this at the base of my neck.

3. I really want to get a tattoo that expresses my love for books / reading... there's not really a good image or picture for that, so I was thinking of the quote "A room without books is like a body without a soul." That would be maybe on the side of my right foot.

Any thoughts or ideas? I keep changing my mind as to which one I want next, though I think I'll get them all eventually.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

get the infinity symbol next.
i have a scarlet lotus on my shoulder blade, but that's it. im too scared to get anymore because they hurt soo bad

message 50: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten The infinity symbol sounds cool. A teammate of mine had a tattoo at the base of her neck, it looked cool.

I'm planning on tattooing a great grey owl in flight on the bottom right hand side of my rib cage

« previous 1