You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Around the World in Eighty Days
This topic is about Around the World in Eighty Days
Buddy Reads > Around the World in Eighty Days

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Cheryl in CC NV er.., Jeryl and I are starting Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne.

Anyone else want to join in?

message 2: by Almeta (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Jules Verne wastes no time in establishing Phileas Fogg as a methodical and fastidious gentleman! I am surprised that he hired Passepartout, who seems to be a bit erratic in his previous employment. So Fogg just accepts that the valet says he is ready to settle down, and Passepartout is confident that he can stick to such stringent requirements of his proposed employer.

I feel sympathy for Passepartout. If he does plan to stick to a rigorous routine, I would think it to be near impossible. (Witness the slight of the previous Mr. Forester.) (view spoiler) At the same time, knowing that the story is about to present an adventure, then the valet is going to be far from settled down.

Off to a fun start!!!

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ack! I'm here, but I've not started reading yet! I'll get offline asap and go start! :)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Ack! I'm here, but I've not started reading yet! I'll get offline asap and go start! :)"

Hey, no hurry. This is all in the first couple of chapters. Verne wastes no time in getting down to business.

Cheryl (cherylllr) Sounds like an engaging read!

Cheryl (cherylllr) My son decided he's interested, too, so I'm reading it aloud to him. He's 15, so I'm treasuring this time before he grows up and moves out. We're two chapters in and enjoying the set-up.

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "My son decided he's interested, too, so I'm reading it aloud to him. He's 15, so I'm treasuring this time before he grows up and moves out. We're two chapters in and enjoying the set-up."

I think this is a great one to read outloud; that is as long as you can pronounce Passepartout!

Cheryl (cherylllr) Do you know how to say the name?

message 9: by Almeta (last edited Feb 21, 2012 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Do you know how to say the name?"

I believe it is pronounced .

Interesting that it means "pass for all", like a key to anywhere. Just what a World Traveller needs!

message 10: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 23, 2012 04:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl (cherylllr) My son and I have only just finished Chapter 12.

There's a librivox edition done in a British accent that sounds wonderful. It came up second in the choices on our search. He agrees w/you, Almeta, on Passepartout.

So, and now I'm getting a bit spoilery perhaps, my son thinks of Fogg as pretty much a jerk. I think of him as more like Mr. Spock (of Star Trek). We're not sure but what he isn't the robber, as Fix believes him to be. After all, if he'd planned ahead, that would make it all more plausible.

It does seem odd that Passepartout doesn't say 'heck with this, not what I signed on for' and goes back to turn off the gas. But I suppose part of the reason he sticks on is because he subconsciously is diverted by the adventure.

Of course, it's not meant to be an adventure, really. Fogg approaches it as a task, as mundane as hiring yet another new servant, it seems.

Cheryl (cherylllr) Too bad that my son thinks Fogg is a jerk, you mean? Well, I don't think he's far off the mark. I mean, except for rescuing that widow (whose main appeal, it seems, is that she's English-fied), he does behave pretty badly.

Or do you see redeeming qualities in him?

The whole book is pretty darn racist, too. Which my son and I both noticed and are getting awfully tired of.

I won't check in until we're caught up to chapter 22, for fear of spoilers.

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ok we're past chapter 22. They're reunited and crossing the Pacific. I don't see why people seem to think Fogg should fall in love with the widow. I mean, I guess it's only natural for this young woman, all alone, to feel a certain infatuation for her rescuer, her Prince Charming - but that doesn't mean they'll make a good match!

Cheryl (cherylllr) Passepartout is cute, and means well, but he's the foil - I feel that Verne thinks of him as more of a bumbler, as the clown. Though he does give him a little depth, and some chances to prove his value.

Cheryl (cherylllr) Well, in her time and place, to do anything independently would not have been ladylike. By English standards, for sure, and by Indian standards according to Verne's interpretation of them, women were second-class citizens. And Verne, I think, agrees that the pretty things should be protected, cared for, and kept to home as much as possible.

I was actually so deep in Verne's macho mindset that I was highly surprised that the widow joined Fogg and Fix in their whist game!

Cheryl (cherylllr) Whew. I love the romantic ending, even though it seems odd/ implausible. Imagine Fogg losing track of the day lost - he certainly did have some 'idle' time to think & recalculate in between crises.

And the marriage - I wish them the best! Verne made an interesting point - no net gain or lost of money, but a gain of love & companionship - good deal.

Interesting perspective the French author has on 'English honor' and 'English arms' I think.

But my son and I are still wondering where the hot-air balloon on some edition's covers comes from!

Cheryl (cherylllr) Or the characterization, for that matter. I'm glad you enjoyed it despite its flaws! :)

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Around the World in Eighty Days (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jules Verne (other topics)