The Kite Runner The Kite Runner question

Doesn't Amir deserve to die more than Hassan...?
Rima Rima Feb 20, 2012 10:25AM
Hey guys, i just wanna know your take on Hassan dying such an innocent death. Amir is the person in the wrong here yet he doesn't know why. Why do you think Hosseini does this? Is it intentional...?

Happy reading! :)

Innocent people die all the time, doing wrong stuff doesn't make you more prone to dying. I think Hosseini did it because the reader was meant to like Hassan and feel sorry for him, which they ultimately did when he died. It also highlighted the events in Afganistan and how innocent people would be murdered.

Death doesn't discriminate, being good does not equal a long life just as being bad does not necessarily mean you will encounter an early demise. I believe this is a story of redemption. Amir did something horrible, as most human beings do at some point in their lives. If Amir had died young he would not have been able to atone for his sins and thus there would have been no story.

Charese Exactly!
Aug 11, 2012 01:41AM
Anindita story of atonement yes. no guilt, no story. also it was the guilt that gave depth to amir's character. hassan, being good, was uni-dimensional. monoch ...more
Aug 13, 2012 04:31PM

I agree with Hayley. Whilst Amir may have been portrayed as the far more sinful and mischievous one, he is not without his redeeming qualities either. I think that Hosseini wanted to portray how the innocent are usually the sitting ducks of war.

Rima wrote: "Hey guys, i just wanna know your take on Hassan dying such an innocent death. Amir is the person in the wrong here yet he doesn't know why. Why do you think Hosseini does this? Is it intentional......"
I believe yea sure if Amir were dead, the story would have been totally different with totally different morale. But with Hassan's death, writer presented Amir with an opportunity to right the wrong upto some level. He could obviously not bring Hassan back but still he could adopt his son. Plus the another morale presented through what author did was how much Hassan respected the ties of maalik-naukar relationship. He adored Amir and Baba. This is a prevalent social mark in Afghanistan, a servant could die for the master. This, they believe is the duty being a servant.

i Think Hassan's death made the Novel more exciting to be read..

yeah amir was very bad

If Amir died he wouldn't of had a chance to atone his mistake, by adopting Hassan's son.

Maybe the reader prevers Amir to die: Hassan was the sweet, innocent boy you just had to like while Amir was a spoiled coward, I don't think any reader realy likes Amir and certainly not in the beginning. But there are several reasons why Hassan had to die: first of all, if he didn't there woundn't have been a story because the story is extually about Amir trying to cope with his guild. Second reason the fact that Hassan stayed in Afghanistan during the war enlarged the chance that he would have died. And third Hassan was a Hazarra living in Afghanistan and during the Taliban so many Hazzara have been killed for no reason but being Sijet. A problem that has been painfully in the news in my country because a few days ago a Sijetisch Iman died in an attack on a Mosque by a Souniet (luckely this didn't coused troubels and both parties are against this act of violence and there is even going to be a white mars in honor of the Iman). But back to the question: Did Amir deserved to die more than Hassan? The reader woundn't have minded so mutch but basicly no. Amir maybe wasn't the nicest person of the world but both of them didn't deserve to die but that's how the world turns and very often innocent people are being killed. (I'm a bit struggling with what I'm trying to say please consider that my motherlanguish is Dutch and that I'm dyslectic)

Nobody deserves to die. Not even the most horrible people do. Some may think it better that they due but truly, it's not up to us to decide or opinionate because we have no idea what is going on with someone else. Amir had his own problems, and he did not cause Hassan's death so why should he die with him? Amir suffered much more from Hassan's death than Hassan himself did anyways.
Hosseini did this twist of Hassan dying to develop Amir's character more. Amir was a child with very low self-esteem and he took it out on Hassan and never did a thing about it. But when Hassan died, he got to make up for it. It was Hosseini's way of a realistic happy ending I suppose? I loved it, however sad it was.

Its not really a question of deserving to die or not. Hassan was living in Afghanistan, conflict was around every corner, many people feld the country and many of those who could not leave where injured or died...that's the reality.

Amir was priveledged..he did not realise that growing up but probably did when he emigrated to the US. yes, he was torn up by guilt for the lack of his courage...and much later went back for redemption. In a twist of fate he was unable to have his own children, and later learnt Hassan was his half-brother and the child his nephew. so this was his chance, to embrace it or throw it away. yes, he was reluctant to go back initially...but that is a normal first reaction. who wants to leave thier comfort zone and go into a war-ridden turf?
That Amir's father never ever confessed to his son about the truth about Hassan was more of an issue. he took his secret to his grave. He did love Hassan, he kept it hidden. he provided for the boy, but he was cut up with guilt and he made comparisons between Hassan and Amir. Social status and wealth was the setting and appearances were kept.

I don't think either of them should of died. But I'm glad it was Hassan, so Amir can be forced to face all of the messed up shit he did...even if he was a child.

I think the crux of the book is Hassan son's attempt at suicide. I think this was the authors message to his fellow Afghans and delivered, in the book, by a Pakistani. Sometimes a message is more resonant if it comes from an neighbour.

I think that was how Amir came to forgive hiumself though, by taking Hassan's child.

Being a Hazarra in such a divided and war torn country, I think Hassan was lucky to have lived as long as he did. I will add that I think in spite of everything that happened to him he loved life. He had a better handle on who he was than Amir did so it was easier for him to enjoy life's simplest pleasure...the love of his family. Amir had it all (by comparison) and still searched all of his life for understanding and love.

I didnt like it when I read Hassan died, but it made the book much more interesting. I just love reading a book that I am unable to predict, most times when I halfway through a book and figured the ending I get disappointed. Great Book!!

Samira (last edited Mar 22, 2012 08:38PM ) Mar 22, 2012 08:34PM   0 votes
I agree with Hayley, the main intention of the author is to demonstrate that innocent people are killed by those who have more power, this is also increased when Amir finds Farid as an influent man later in the story and who is totally in charge of the situation... life is anything but fair, as we might say, so it is.
Also the abuse that Sohrab suffers, people who are not used to this (violence, abuse, war, hunger), might think this is exagerated because we are fotunate enough to live in different conditions but reality overcomes the fiction, and abuse, violence, hunger and war exist all over the world.

I think from a literary standpoint, Hassan had made piece with his life. He had accomplished what he wanted. He had a family, he reunited with his older friend and with his missing mother. He had nothing else to "work out". Amir's life was only partially lived. He needed to not only make ammends to Hassan, but also to his father and his country of origin. He had his own demons to tackle.

Deserves got nothing to do with it

I think it's more realistic when Hassan died. It gives more meaning to the story. Not all endings should be sweet and happy.

I think it's good for Amir to feel regret and doing his best with Hassan's son.

As I believe that the main theme of this book is redemption, I think that fate has it Hassan died so that Amir can actually grow by learning to face what he has done, not by hiding away from his past. I mean, if Hassan didn't die, I think Amir would still live on with the guilt eating him alive inside. At least at the end I can somehow see the burden of Amir's guilt lessening when Hassan's son gave a small response to him, living with guilt is not really a nice way to live

I hated Amir as well and I thought he should have got hit over the head or something. Something to wake him up. It's so annoying because not only did he not WANT to go back to get the kid at first, but he doesn't even think about adopting him till later. Honestly if I were him I would have gone back ages ago. He lived in America all those glorious years while Hassan was back there, waiting, and his poor kid goes thru so much shit too, and you think oh well maybe Amir will own up but it feels like he was "forced" and his "guilt" made him do it, not because you know, he's a good guy.

We must take in account the fact that we read the story from Amir's point of view. He was very human, so of course he made mistakes. Like for the violence Hassan suffered, Amir's response was not admirable, and indisputably wrong, but it was the most normal way a guy with his background would have done.
During wars there's no meaning in discuss who deserve to die or not. War is ugly, no matter how you look at it. Innocent people die all the time, and this is why it's unfair.

No one really deserves to die. Everyone deserves a second chance. And if they ruin the second chance, then they should die. lol jk

I agree with Hayley. War does not discriminate between the innocent and the guilty. Isn't it usually the innocent who suffer the most? It was heartbreaking when Hassan died, and even when you heard about his dad dying.

I also think it would've been terrible for Amir to die such a death. I much preferred Hassan to Amir and I had a hard time even liking Amir, but it's important to remember that he was a confused, scared child when his wrongdoings occurred.