The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > New to the group!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (rapierhomme) Hi! My name is David and I live in east Tennesse at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. I love to read and split my time reading mysteries and heroic fantasy, whichever happens to grab me at the time. I also like suspense thrillers, particularly those by Dean Koontz.

I first started reading mysteries in the 6th grade when my mother got me interested in The Three Investigators series. They were geared a little more toward younger kids like myself than The Hardy Boys were.

Some of my favorite mystery authors include Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Tony Hillerman, Michael Connelly, Charles Todd, C.J. Box, and Craig Johnson.

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi David, I never read the Three Investigators. They look like fun, however. Welcome to the group and be prepared to see your TBR explode!

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35958 comments Welcome aboard, David.

I went to college in a town at the foothills of the Smokies.

Love Hillerman, Connelly, Todd. I've only recently started reading Box.

message 4: by Creature (new)

Creature | 93 comments Hello:
Welcome to the group and...Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments My name is Christine Hatfield

message 6: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Christine, welcome to the group.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments Thanks and i'm so happy that i'm here

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments The books that you should read that i'm reading are called

1. My father's keeper by julie gregory
2. sickened by julie gregory
3. three weeks with my brother by nicholas sparks
4. a bend in the road by nicholas sparks
5. the rescue by nicholas sparks
6. the best of me by nicholas sparks
7. the last song by nicholas sparks
8. the lucky one by nicholas sparks
9. dear john by nicholas sparks
10. the choice by nicholas sparks
11. at first sight by nicholas sparks
12. true believer by nicholas sparks
13. nights in rodanthe by nicholas sparks
14. tell no one by harlan coben
15. one false move by harlan coben
16. the final detail by harlan coben
17. darkest fear by harlan coben
18. the woods by harlan coben
19. miracle cure by harlan coben
20. play dead by harlan coben
21. deal breaker by harlan coben
22. fade away by harlan coben
23. back spin by harlan coben
24. drop shot by harlan coben

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments Your welcome and i love reading those nicholas sparks books

message 10: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Christine wrote: "The books that you should read that i'm reading are called

1. My father's keeper by julie gregory
2. sickened by julie gregory
3. three weeks with my brother by nicholas sparks
4. a bend in the ro..."

Hi Christine. Take a look at the Techno Corner. You can learn how to link books and do a lot of other neat things.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments David wrote: "Hi! My name is David and I live in east Tennesse at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. I love to read and split my time reading mysteries and heroic fantasy, whichever happens to grab me..."

Welcome, David. Mysteries, fantasy and science fiction mostly for me ... with a few other favorites from the last 50 years on the shelves as well.

I always liked Hillerman and Craig Johnson is on my very limited "must buy as soon as it's published" list ... he does the modern west exactly right. He actually lives in the general area where I grew up and lived much of my life ... I can pick out people I've known all my life from his characters.

Since you like both Hillerman and Johnson, you might try Peter Bowen's series set in Montana ... he does the region, the people and the attitudes right also.

message 12: by Kaye (new)

Kaye George Hello Peter! If you like short stories, I have a few on my website, singles and anthlogies. kayegeorge.com. I also love Harlan Coben's books, but not Sparks. Crais and Lehane are always good.

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments I love nicholas sparks

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Hi Peter! This is a "special" group indeed. I just started "Numbered Account" by Christopher Reich. It's all about Swiss banking and shady deals (oops, redundant). About to start "Coyote Wind" by Peter Bowen. He's a local real-life "character" in Montana. His characters are gritty. You'll find 'em holding down a stool at the Ox. Peter was on a panel at our Book Festival one year. The first question got him so riled up, that he got up and walked out. That's Peter B.

message 15: by Sharon (last edited Feb 24, 2012 01:17PM) (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Jim wrote: "About to start "Coyote Wind" by Peter Bowen. He's a local real-life "character" in Montana. His characters are gritty. You'll find 'em holding down a stool at the Ox. Peter was on a panel at our Book Festival one year. The first question got him so riled up, that he got up and walked out. That's Peter B. "

This is one of my favorite series. This series and the Sheriff Longmyer series by Craig Johnson are the only two series set in the 'modern west' that I read and re-read. I was raised and spent most of my adult life in that general area, with the people that these two authors write about and will say that they are the only two authors that seem to be able to get everything right consistently ... no false steps. I have *known* the people that their characters are patterned after, been many of the places described, drank and danced in some of the same bars.

I would dearly love another DuPre novel, but unfortunately Bowen seems to have quit writing.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Sharon, come on "home" to Montana. We'll keep a seat open for you at the Oxford in Missoula. If I run into Peter, I'll tell him you're lookin' for him. Jeez. All this and we got Jim Burke right down the road, too.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 408 comments Welcome to the group, David! Since you like CJ Box's and Craig Johnson's mysteries, I'll recommend a couple of other series with similar outdoorsy/western themes that you might enjoy:

William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor series set in Minnesota.
My own (Beth Groundwater) Rocky Mountain Outdoor Adventures mystery series starring whitewater river ranger Mandy Tanner.

And since you mentioned Tony Hillerman, you should read his protege, Margaret Coel's, Wind River Reservation series.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments It's nice to meet you beth

message 19: by Charles (last edited Feb 25, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Charles Hi all -- I just joined this group. It's BIIIG. I've read mysteries since they let me into the public library and I found Howard Haycraft. I had occasion to go through my bookshelves not long ago and found that half of the literature books were mysteries. I was surprised. That doesn't count the piles I've given away. My favorites tend to be ones like Carlo Emilio Gadda's That Awful Mess On the Via Merulana and Iain Pears's An Instance Of the Fingerpost but also Holmes of course, Janwillem van de Wettering... well, many things. I'm also interested in the theory and history of the genre and I have a proposal out for a book to be called The Figure of the Detective. Finished ms but the version on my website http://ocotilloarts.com is not current so as not to scare publishers. The first three chapters are OK -- you're welcome to download. I'm really looking forward to following this group.

message 20: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35958 comments Nice to see you, Charles.

I, too, am reading Janwillem van de Wetering - right now, Outsider in Amsterdam.

Welcome aboard.

message 21: by Charles (new)

Charles Jan C wrote: "Nice to see you, Charles.

I, too, am reading Janwillem van de Wetering - right now, Outsider in Amsterdam.

Welcome aboard."

Oh, hey, that's the first of the series. I seem to be reading the series backwards. It was really interesting to see the early form of the detectives' zen

message 22: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Charles, welcome to the group. Good luck with your book.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments It's nice to meet you charles

message 24: by Prasad (new)

Prasad | 4 comments Hello all. I'm Prasad from India. I started crime thrillers with Agatha Christie and have read Robin Cook, Dan Brown and of course, Sherlock Holmes. But I always comes back to Perry Mason series and love to read them again and again. Any suggestion for similar series?

message 25: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome, Prasad. From the "early days" there are Ngaio Marsh and Rex Stout, who are always good fun.

message 26: by Charles (new)

Charles Prasad wrote: "Hello all. I'm Prasad from India. I started crime thrillers with Agatha Christie and have read Robin Cook, Dan Brown and of course, Sherlock Holmes. But I always comes back to Perry Mason series an..."

See if you can find the early Perry Mason movies from the 30s. Perry is sleazy and sly and obviously sleeping with Della and Paul Drake is a thug.

message 27: by Prasad (new)

Prasad | 4 comments High Hayes! Thanks for the recommendations. I'm surely going to look into them.

Charles, your suggestion looks very interesting. Let me see. Thanks.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments It's nice to meet you prasad

message 29: by Steven (last edited Feb 29, 2012 04:07AM) (new)

Steven Bolguese (SBolguese) | 2 comments Hi everyone,

I'm Steve. When I find time to read, I enjoy getting wrapped up in a good thriller, mystery, or adventure novel. I like intelligent writing in which I feel I'm learning something aside from simply being entertained. I tend to like books by Ben Mezrich and Dan Brown.

Here's a list of my recent reads that I would recommend. While they aren't all mysteries, crimes, and thrillers, it will give you an idea of my tastes:

The Hunger Games
The God Complex
Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
Ugly Americans: The True Story of the Ivy League Cowboys Who Raided the Asian Markets for Millions
Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street

I hope joining this group will encourage me to read more this year.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments That's alot of books lol

message 31: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 537 comments Prasad wrote: "Hello all. I'm Prasad from India. I started crime thrillers with Agatha Christie and have read Robin Cook, Dan Brown and of course, Sherlock Holmes. But I always comes back to Perry Mason series an..."

Hayes wrote: "Hi Charles, welcome to the group. Good luck with your book."
Hi Prasad: How interesting to have a person from India. I just finished reading The Case of the Man who Died Laughing by Tarquin Hall and loved all the
"windows" into Indian culture. Have you read it?
Charles wrote: "Prasad wrote: "Hello all. I'm Prasad from India. I started crime thrillers with Agatha Christie and have read Robin Cook, Dan Brown and of course, Sherlock Holmes. But I always comes back to Perry ..."

Christine wrote: "It's nice to meet you charles"

The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing: From the Files of Vish Puri, Most Private Investigator

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Hey! That's REALLY aladda books. Yulpf.

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1609 comments It's really nice to meet everyone