My YA Obsession discussion

General > What books could you not finish?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emily V, Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be EVER in your favour! (new)

Emily V (xemilyx) | 214 comments Mod
Which were too unbearable for you to finish?

message 2: by Emily V, Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be EVER in your favour! (new)

I nearly never give up on books but one that I can't seem to finish is The Declaration by Gemma Malley I've picked it up to read four times but never got past the first page.

message 3: by Myra (new)

Myra (myralynn) | 17 comments Bear V. Shark by Chris Bachelder This was not YA but was for our book club at work - whilst I appreciated the humour it just was a bit too incessant and I stopped too early to get sucked into any storyline, interesting concept though.

message 4: by Emily V, Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be EVER in your favour! (new)

I've never heard of it, I hate it when authors have a really good storyline then ruin it with their writing.

message 5: by Soumi (new)

Soumi (soumiroy) | 66 comments Mod
I never finished Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1) by Meg Cabot Tempest (Tempest, #1) by Julie Cross and The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I really hate not finishing books, no matter how much I loathe them, but I couldn't even force myself to finish reading these books.

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare and Falling Under (Falling Under, #1) by Gwen Hayes

message 7: by Roshini (new)

Roshini I find it so hard to put a book down and say never again. Unfortunately Tess of the D'Urbervilles  by Thomas Hardy was one book that I just couldn't get through. It seems to me that Partials (Partials, #1) by Dan Wells is going down that route as well.

message 8: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 180 comments I very rarely don't finish a book. The only book I have never not finished was The Vampire Lestat. From the interview with a vampire series. But I almost didn't finish Hereafter by Tara Hudson, and Twisted by Gena Showalter I had to struggle through.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (thebabygrl) I couldnt finish Shiver, by maggie steifwater (sorry for bad spelling). I thought it was terrible.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (thebabygrl) Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I couldnt finish Shiver, by maggie steifwater (sorry for bad spelling). I thought it was terrible."

I actually liked Shiver well enough, but I don't really have any interest in readi..."

I really enjoyed twilight, though i read it when i was younger and they were one of the few books i had first read, and all my freinds were into it. But if i read them again now im sure id be dissapointed, so im not going to reread them, i might but i dont want to ruin them for myself

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never not finished a book but I found My Sisters Keeper very difficult to finsih. It was just crap really. Regretful read.

message 12: by Elisha (last edited May 02, 2012 01:31PM) (new)

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (thebabygrl) Laura wrote: "I've never not finished a book but I found My Sisters Keeper very difficult to finsih. It was just crap really. Regretful read."

I read that book, not my favorite, i didnt like how they explained the whole cancer thing, if your lookin for a teen cancer book i recomend the fault in our stars by john green, very good

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tequilamckingbird) I never was able to finish Battle Royale. I guess I just couldn't get past not knowing how all the names were pronounced haha. And I still never finished The Diamond of Darkhold, although I read the first 3 books in the series.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "Laura wrote: "I've never not finished a book but I found My Sisters Keeper very difficult to finsih. It was just crap really. Regretful read."

I read that book, not my favorite, i didnt like how t..."

I've read it. It's one of my favourite books ever :)

message 16: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 180 comments Alecia wrote: "I'm still reading the books now, but I'm finding them hard to finish. They just don't make me want to pick them up and read them. The books are:

Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld
City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare"

I've heard really good things about the Uglies series. Do you not like the mortal instruments series or just not the fourth one?

I just remembered a book that I never finished. Switched by Amanda Hocking. I couldn't get past the first 20 pages or so.

message 18: by Barbara (last edited May 03, 2012 10:14AM) (new)

Barbara | 22 comments I absolutely could NOT get into Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking

Room by Emma Donoghue (not YA so if I need to delete it I can)

nor Dustlands by Moira Young

message 19: by An (new)

An I couldn't read Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater or Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

message 20: by Beka (new)

Beka (bekakathryn) | 8 comments I hate to admit it but I couldn't bring myself to read 'Matched' by Ally Condie. It was a good enough storyline but something about it just... I really hated it :(

message 21: by JustGiGi (new)

JustGiGi (hyrulegigi) I could not finish The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I just couldn't get into it. I tried. Though now reading and really enjoying Divergent I might go back and try to read Maze Runner again. It was the same way for Hunger Games.

message 22: by Denisse (new)

Denisse (denmargarita) | 30 comments StarcrossedMatched
i know a lot of people love matched but i don't anyway i hate leaving books without finished them so maybe one day i will end them, i almost finish matched but is just so boring to mee :( and starcrossed well i don't know why i leave it, maybe because game of thrones came to mee and is SO MUCH BETTER

message 23: by Simian (new)

Simian | 2 comments Not young adult, but Dracula, Moby Dick, and Oliver Twist. I'm not a big classical fan, though I tried. They tend to be dull, rambling, and offensive (through sexism and/or racism). Even the majority of the classics I did get through, I didn't like. Some were good, of course, and most make good movies.

message 24: by Bexxy (new)

Bexxy (Desperately Seeking HEA's Blog) (desperatelyseekingheas) Its interesting to see what books people cant finish that are my absolute favourites! I could not finish Twisted Heart (Dark Angel, #2) by Eden Maguire
I struggled through the first one but thought i would give the second one a try since id already brought it. I didn't really like the style of writing and just couldnt get into the storyline at all

message 25: by meg (new)

meg (mssassyisclassy) | 1 comments Now, I love Sophie Kinsella (I have read Confessions of a Shopaholic three times), but I could just not get through Twenties Girl ... so, SO bad!

message 26: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Waters (hayleywaters) | 36 comments Mod
Stay with Me... just didn't click with me, this book.

message 27: by Luna (new)

Luna  (lunaluss) Sophie's World

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy (wildgeesechase) | 6 comments Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

I fell asleep on page 4. It was just too slow for me. I might try reading it again if I finish all my reading goals this year.:)

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (bookishjen) I couldn't finish Exile by Rebecca Lim, I just don't get on with her writing style at all!

message 30: by Luna (new)

Luna  (lunaluss) City Of Fallen Angels. I seem to not be able to read it for some reason.

message 31: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) Jane by April Lindner , Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly , Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene , and Blood Secret by Kathryn Lasky

The first two were just too foul - with "Revolution," the writing was also bad and I didn't care at all for the protagonist. And the latter two were just boring.

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat Ice (kwells4191) | 2 comments i couldnt finish thirst by Christhper pike!

message 33: by Areana (new)

Areana (prettiiariij3) | 41 comments Extras by Scott Westerfeld

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Obenstine (aobenstine) | 11 comments I really doubt I'll be able to finish Strange Angels and Betrayals (Strange Angels, #1 & #2) by Lili St. Crow

It all just drags on and it's pretty annoying. :/

message 35: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (beth_ess_xx) | 5 comments Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, #1) by Dyan Sheldon , i got a quarter of the way through and i am 14 and thought it was a bit more aimed at younger girls, about 9-12.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer , i got half way through on this one but nothing much was happening and i didn't feel connected with the characters at all, so i just stopped caring what happened to them.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien and I'm not finding it very interesting. I don't think I can finish it.
Does it get better?

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (thebabygrl) Bee wrote: "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, #1) by Dyan Sheldon, i got a quarter of the way through and i am 14 and thought it was a bit more aimed at younger girls, about 9-12.

[bookcover:The Short Second Life ..."

On the bree tanner one, i read the whole thing. I thought id get more from it, but yeah, you dont really care what happens to your charactors, its like "whatever". I wanted to see more of the other charactors in there (like the cullens and the volutri) i wanted more detail on her death, she barley did any. It was kind of a waste of a book lol.
I think she should write a book about the volturi, and the wolves

message 38: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (beth_ess_xx) | 5 comments Sarah wrote: "Bee wrote: "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, #1) by Dyan Sheldon, i got a quarter of the way through and i am 14 and thought it was a bit more aimed at younger girls, about 9-12.

[bookcover:The Short ..."

yeah a book about the wolves told from maybe Jacob or Seth's POV...

message 39: by Mili- tropical girl :) (last edited May 14, 2012 04:46AM) (new)

Mili- tropical girl :) Bex wrote: "Its interesting to see what books people cant finish that are my absolute favourites! I could not finish Twisted Heart (Dark Angel, #2) by Eden Maguire
I struggled through the first one but thought i would give the sec..."

i got so confused and a bit bored in the first one, but i finished it,then i read the back of the book of twisted heart and went 'nah i wouldnt be able to even read half-way'

Mili- tropical girl :) i couldn't read Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility, i got bored or something, i cant actually remember!

message 41: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Chamblin | 2 comments I couldn't finish Starcrossed because it was too stupid. I got about halfway than quit. I also couldn't finish Stay With Me. I got to page like ten before I realized that it was weird and boring. It was about something like the relationship with a kid and her mom before she died.

message 42: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I hate not finishing a book but there are just some out there that...maybe have to stay partially read for awhile. I had a junior high teacher tell us one time that if you can't get through a book, that just means you're not quite ready for it yet. So if there's a book that I can't get through, I just put it to the side and let it ferment and catch dust for a while before going back to it. It's worked pretty good for me so far :)

message 43: by Jules (new)

Jules Vern | 5 comments Emily wrote: "Which were too unbearable for you to finish?"
A book called Caged Moon by Rachel Deagan. Hush, Hush which I thought was horrible. I did not like the first Mortal Instruments but loved her other series. I could not get into Set in Stone but when i did I really liked it. Starcrossed was horrible, I agree with Katherine - didn't finish it either. I finished this but did not love Beautiful Creatures. Neither character was that great to me. By the way I'm Jules! Hello!

message 44: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 4 comments Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer and really struggled with The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Neither were very well written and dragged on forever.

message 45: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 2 comments I started trying to read The Host by Stephanie Meyer but I just couldn't get into it. It was difficult to understand. I lent it to my mother in law and she said that she had the same problem but you understand it once you get further into it, so I'm going to try it one more time.

message 46: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 180 comments I actually really liked the host. From what I can remember it is hard to understand at first, but the whole concept is really cool once you get into it. I was really surprised I liked it, because I hate Twilight.

I really love the Hunger Games, (like a million other people in the world I guess :P) it didn't drag on for me. I was hooked after the first 10 pages. I was actually trying to read another book when I thought I'd read the first chapter and see how it was, I just couldn't put it down.

message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna (ohnoitsdonna) | 17 comments I could not finish Legacy by Cayla Kluver. It was written while she was 15. Horrible, horrible writing.

message 48: by Sapir (last edited May 31, 2012 11:11AM) (new)

Sapir | 17 comments I was very excited to read Stephenie Meyer's first book after Twilight -
The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer .
I was sooo disappointed!!!!! This book is boring. I ALWAYS finish books, really. I just couldn't keep myself reading past the first 50 pages...
I didn't finish Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen . I think maybe I'm too young for this book or something. Everything in this book seemed so weird and unreal. I couldn't force myself to finish it.

message 49: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 180 comments I really enjoyed The Host. I can't stand Twilight, so I was pleasantly surprised. I just thought the whole concept was really interesting. Sucks that you didn't like it.

message 50: by Carly (new)

Carly (carlytagaryen) | 2 comments Hush, Hush. I know everyone loves it and the sequels but I honestly thought it wasn't well written at all and totally unrealistic. If some guy knew all that about me I would NOT respond like she did.... who would?? I skimmed to the end and don't plan on reading the sequels. and "patch"? really???

« previous 1 3