What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Winter of Fire
This topic is about Winter of Fire
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED: Book at least 18 years old, adolescent girl is m/c, eternal winter, no sunshine [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jayme | 158 comments I don't remember details except that something happened that caused no sunshine, so I don't think there was any vegetation, but it seems like by the end, the sun peeks through, or she sees grass or something growing so we knew there was hope. I believe I probably found this in a young adult fiction area...thanks for your help!

message 2: by Tess (new) - added it

Tess | 438 comments This doesn't quite fit, but maybe All Summer in a Day

Jayme | 158 comments Thanks, but no that's not it, but I've put it on my to read list. I enjoyed The Playground, so I'm sure this is good. This was a full lenght book but if I remember right on the shorter side, maybe 200 pages?

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments I remember a science fiction book similar to that. The people were transported to a planet where there was always deep fog and most of them grew up knowing only shades of gray. The grandfather, an artist, (or some elder) was constantly longing for color and despairing that there was none on this planet, but the grandson saw the beauty of shades of gray.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the name of the book was.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Maybe Winter of Magic's Return? Its post-nuclear war, with a nuclear winter going on, that is very gradually starting to wane.

Jayme | 158 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Maybe Winter of Magic's Return? Its post-nuclear war, with a nuclear winter going on, that is very gradually starting to wane."

No, this isn't it, but it sounds interesting. I wish I could remember more details, but basically all I remember is this girl hasn't ever seen the sun, but at the end she catches a glimpse. I don't recall any magic being involved.

message 7: by x.melancholy.x (new)

x.melancholy.x (xmelancholyx) | 11 comments Jayme wrote: "Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Maybe Winter of Magic's Return? Its post-nuclear war, with a nuclear winter going on, that is very gradually starting to wane."

No, this isn't it, but it sound..."

A Blade of Grass by June Zetter A Blade of Grass Maybe?

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments Winter of Fire? The sky has been overcast because they have to burn so much coal, and at the end the girl sees the sun for the first time.

Jayme | 158 comments This one sounds similar, but isn't old enough. It had to be published early 90's. Thanks though, I've added to my to read list!

Jayme | 158 comments Michelle wrote: "Winter of Fire? The sky has been overcast because they have to burn so much coal, and at the end the girl sees the sun for the first time."

I think this might be it. They don't have it available on kindle, so I am going to try to find it at the library and let you know. Thanks!

message 11: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Jayme, please do let us know whether this is or is not the book you are looking for.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Well, it was published originally in 1992. I hope it's your book!

Jayme | 158 comments I think it probably is, but I would like to re-read to verify. I am going to stop in at the library this week to see if they have it. Going to go ahead and move this to get it out of the way, and will repost if it isn't correct. Thanks everyone for the help!

Jayme | 158 comments Sorry this took me so long, but Winter of Fire was, in fact, the book I was looking for! Thanks so much!