The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 5.9 - The Devil Made Me Do It

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 18, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 13429 comments Mod
5.9 The Devil Made Me Do It: Read a book with the word "devil" or "hell" in the title or subtitle OR a book with the devil as a significant character or set in hell. Common synonyms work- Lucifer, Satan, "Prince of Darkness", infernal, underworld, hades, purgatory, etc.Ex. Blue-Eyed Devil, I, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the Story, Satan's Stone, The Infernals, Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back, The Hades Factor The Master and Margarita Less common synonyms may work- please check at the help thread. Plurals and possessives work.
Required: If the connection is not obvious in the GR description, please explain how your book fits the task when you post.

message 3: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 04, 2012 09:39AM) (new)

These don't work
Daughter of Smoke and Bone

message 4: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 243 comments What about plurals? As in Lord John And The Hand Of Devils.

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2657 comments Would The Old Man and Mr. Smith: A Fable work?

It is a fable about God and the devil returning to Earth.

("add book/author" link brings all descriptions up in a foreign language - even when listed as English version when I posted this)

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Vicky wrote: "What about plurals? As in Lord John And The Hand Of Devils."

plurals and possessives work

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Bea wrote: "Would The Old Man and Mr. Smith: A Fable work?

It is a fable about God and the devil returning to Earth.

("add book/author" link brings all descriptions up in a foreign language - e..."

That works

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2657 comments Dlmrose wrote: "That works."

Thanks, Dlmrose.

message 9: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1254 comments does Everneath work?

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

JennRenee wrote: "does Everneath work?"

yes- hell/limbo/purgatory type setting

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1481 comments I think I'm going to reread I, Lucifer (because I loved it when I read it in college), but out of curiosity, would "anti-Christ" work? I'm not exactly up on my Judeo-Christian mythos, so maybe someone else can clue me in.

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "I think I'm going to reread I, Lucifer (because I loved it when I read it in college), but out of curiosity, would "anti-Christ" work? I'm not exactly up on my Judeo-Christian mythos, so maybe some..."

For this task, anti-christ would work as a synonym

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Stacie wrote: "Would Hellboy: Seed of Destruction work?"

Sorry, only plurals and possessives work, and from what I've found it doesn't look like hell is a prominent setting. If you have more information, please let me know

message 15: by Bella Jayne (new)

Bella Jayne (bindarom) | 5 comments Would "Blue Diablo" by Ann Aguirre work? Diablo is Spanish for devil, I think.

BR

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Belinda wrote: "Would "Blue Diablo" by Ann Aguirre work? Diablo is Spanish for devil, I think.

BR"

yes, Diablo works as a synonym for devil

message 17: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1258 comments I'd like to double check this one since it's hyphenated:

The Life and Loves of a She Devil

It's she-devil on the cover.

message 18: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 24, 2012 01:46PM) (new)

Karen GHHS wrote: "I'd like to double check this one since it's hyphenated:

It's she-devil on the cover."

I'll take it- "she-devil" appears with and without the hyphen (and not just on GR- the book covers show both variations)

message 19: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1258 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "I'd like to double check this one since it's hyphenated:

It's she-devil on the cover."

I'll take it- "she-devil" appears with a..."

Thanks!

message 20: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Can I use Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go? Two kids die and get sent to Heck where Bea "Elsa" Bubb is the Principle of Darkness.

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

jennbunny wrote: "Can I use Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go? Two kids die and get sent to Heck where Bea "Elsa" Bubb is the Principle of Darkness."

yes

message 22: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would Daughter of Smoke and Bone work? I am trying to decipher from all the reviews but can't really.

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Would Daughter of Smoke and Bone work? I am trying to decipher from all the reviews but can't really."

I can't tell either, I'm going to say no, but if someone who has read it has some more info I'll reconsider

message 24: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Dlmrose wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "Would Daughter of Smoke and Bone work? I am trying to decipher from all the reviews but can't really."

I can't tell either, I'm going to say no, but if someone who..."

I read it, and while I definitely recommend this book to anyone, it is not set in hell and the devil is not a character.

message 25: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 05, 2012 12:18PM) (new)

Thanks, Kathryn, I 've heard many good things about it

Daughter of Smoke and Bone does fit 5.6 (#197 as of this morning) 20.3, 25.1 bone in 1979 lyrics not 5 letters, 25.2, etc

ETA- above

message 26: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Thanks!!!! I originally had it in another task, but just moved some books around. I think I had moved it to 5.6

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 563 comments Would The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie work? Thanks.

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

Patricia wrote: "Would The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie work? Thanks."

I'll take it - devil as a character from a description

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose wrote: "Thanks, Kathryn, I 've heard many good things about it

Daughter of Smoke and Bone does fit 5.6 (#197 as of this morning) 20.3, 25.1 bone in 1979 lyrics not 5 letters, 25.2, etc

ETA..."

25.1 requires a 5 letter word- bone won't work

message 30: by Keltie Lee (new)

Keltie Lee (Keltie_Lee) | 315 comments I was wondering if Devilish would work?
Thanks

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Keltie Lee wrote: "I was wondering if Devilish would work?
Thanks"

It sounds like it does- the devil masquerading as a sophomore that puts the plot in motion

message 32: by Keltie Lee (new)

Keltie Lee (Keltie_Lee) | 315 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Keltie Lee wrote: "I was wondering if Devilish would work?
Thanks"

It sounds like it does- the devil masquerading as a sophomore that puts the plot in motion"

message 33: by Riya (last edited Mar 19, 2012 06:34PM) (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 189 comments Would this work? Faust

Its about a scholar that makes a deal with the devil and sells the devil his soul

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Mariya wrote: "Would this work? Faust

Its about a scholar that makes a deal with the devil and sells the devil his soul"

That works

message 35: by Jennifer N. (last edited Apr 07, 2012 11:10AM) (new)

Jennifer N. | 422 comments If Prince of Darkness works would Dark Prince?

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "If Prince of Darkness works would Dark Prince?"

Sorry, no, "Dark Prince" is not a synonym

message 37: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Would Foreseen Hunger by Marisa Chenery work? It involves a battle between Ra, the Egyptian sun god and Apep, the demon god of the underworld?

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Deanna wrote: "Would Foreseen Hunger by Marisa Chenery work? It involves a battle between Ra, the Egyptian sun god and Apep, the demon god of the underworld?"

That works

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Infernals (other topics)
The Hades Factor (other topics)
The Master and Margarita (other topics)
Blue-Eyed Devil (other topics)
I, Lucifer (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marisa Chenery (other topics)