Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > need help picking a series to start

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Canadiangrl (last edited Feb 17, 2012 06:45AM) (new)

Canadiangrl | 8 comments So I Would love some suggestions on a new paranormal romance series to start. I prefer adult not ya. Some of the series I have enjoyed are
IAD, LOTU, demonica, guardians of eternity, nightwalkers, bdb, acro, scanguards, dark hunters

I have tried nalini singh but couldnt get into it. Also while i liked night huntress I like a series that folows a group and not told from first person,
Any thoughts....

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyjade) | 72 comments First I'd like to tell ya to try Singh again at some point... Her Psy/Changeling series...it gets better as it goes on, and it's one of my faves. :)
Otherwise!
Shelly Laurenston has a few series, funny pnr; here's a couple:Pack ChallengeThe Mane Event
Thea Harrison's Elder Races is really good, theres a new one coming out soon too
Dragon Bound
Ilona Andrews has a pnr series that is really good; unique world great plot On the Edge
Patricia Briggs has a sort of sub-series pnr; it only follows one coupld but it's really good and it's not first person (also has a new one coming out in march) Cry Wolf but start with this short story On the Prowl
Lynsay Sands' Argeneau is pretty good, some books better than others A Quick Bite
I'm sure I have others that I haven't thought of... I'll get back to ya if none of these appeal :)

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyjade) | 72 comments Oh, Meljean Brook, Christine Feehan and Sherrilyn Kenyon are popular pnr authors as well.
Demon Angel
Night Pleasures
Dark Prince

message 4: by Canadiangrl (new)

Canadiangrl | 8 comments So psy/Chanling gets better. Seems like everyone loves it. Perhaps I will give it another try. i read the first two I think. Do I Need to reread those or should I be okay starting with the third?
Thanks for the other suggestions, I will add them!

message 5: by Canadiangrl (new)

Canadiangrl | 8 comments Cindy wrote: "Oh, Meljean Brook, Christine Feehan and Sherrilyn Kenyon are popular pnr authors as well.
Demon Angel
Night Pleasures
Dark Prince"

I have the first five books of the dark series but for some reason havent started them. And I have read kenyon and quite enjoyed her. Never heard of brook..off to look, thanks

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ aka Barbara (tirla) Scanguard Vampires by Tina Folsom is good
Vampires in America by D.B. Reynolds is a must read
Love at Stake by Kerrelyn Sparks..great read
Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones
Chicagoland Vampires is a good series too but more UF than PNr...

I'm sure I'll think of other suggestions:)

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyjade) | 72 comments I love charley Davidson too; I am actually on the third one now. Very funny, great characters and world. Only reason I don't have it on my suggestions is that it's more uf, first person narrative. But def a great series, quickly a fave of mine ;)

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) The Otherkin series by Eve Silver. Paranormal romance, 3rd person about four brothers who are soul collectors.

Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver Sins of the Soul (Otherkin, #2) by Eve Silver Sins of the Flesh (Otherkin, #3) by Eve Silver Body of Sin (Otherkin, #4) by Eve Silver

message 9: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments I prefer Feehan's Drake sisters series to her Dark series which is finished at seven books. A spin off series set in the same town has two books out so far. I really enjoyed those.
The first book in each series: Oceans of Fire (Drake Sisters, #3) by Christine Feehan (the first book-there are two novellas before it which don't really have to be read to understand what's going on) and Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1) by Christine Feehan .

message 10: by Megan (last edited Feb 17, 2012 12:42PM) (new)

Megan (thebookhunter) | 54 comments I like Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu it's got, 10 in the series so far. It's about ppl with gifts, shapshifters, and a gargoyle or two. Angela Knight is pretty good, a different take on King Arthur and his court (vamps and witches/mages) with some shapeshifting in it as well. It starts with Master of the Night (Mageverse, #2) by Angela Knight . Christina Dodd has some good PNR series fist up would be Darkness Chosen series Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd and the spin off Chosen series Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1) by Christina Dodd .

I will second giving Crhistine Feehan a try, her Dark, Ghostwalkers and Drake series, to me are all great! And Nalini Singh's changlings I think gets better.

Oh and Jeaniene Frost, vamps, love her (it's 1st person and follows one main chatracter) Jennifer Ashley has some good shifters, and Shannon Butcher, Sentinel Wars series is pretty good too.

A good place to find full lists of series is a group called Serious Overload of Series (SOS) It has lists of completed series, in progress series, simialr, ect and they are in order so it is good for finding the order of the books and the group can makes great suggestions.

Hope this helps!

message 11: by Canadiangrl (new)

Canadiangrl | 8 comments Wow, thanks everyone. All these series look great. I tend to read fast and go through series quickly so now i have lots to look into

message 12: by Rosebud (new)

Rosebud (rosebuds) A fairly new series I came across and haven't heard much about is by Sierra Dean. Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen #1) by Sierra Dean A Bloody Good Secret by Sierra Dean .
Turned out to be really good. Strong female paranormal heroine.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 13 comments Larissa Ione's Demonica series Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione

Shannon Butcher's Sentinnel Warriors Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars #1) by Shannon K. Butcher

Nicole-Pattypattz1 (Pattypattz1) | 1 comments There are so many great series out there to read, but I will recommend The Black Daggar Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward, and I just finished reading the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.

Other authors to consider are: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Larissa Ione, Kresley Cole, Lara Adrian, Nalini Singh.

message 15: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Some good series have been mentioned, such as Midnight Breeds by Lara Adrian, Sentinel Wars by Shannon K Butcher, Argeneau Vamps by Lynsay Sands, and Love at Stake by Kerrelyn Sparks.

You also might be interested in:
Warriors of Poseidon by Alyssa Day
Mageverse by Angela Knight
Novels of the Others by Christine Warren
Wing Slayer Hunters by Jennifer Lyon
Feral Warriors by Pamela Palmer
New Species by Laurann Dohner

Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1) by Alyssa Day Master of the Night (Mageverse, #2) by Angela Knight Wolf at the Door (The Others, #1) by Christine Warren Blood Magic (Wing Slayer Hunters, #1) by Jennifer Lyon Desire Untamed (Feral Warriors, #1) by Pamela Palmer Fury (New Species, #1) by Laurann Dohner

Happy reading!

message 16: by SJ (new)

SJ I see that others have suggested it & would agree---the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian follows a group and is not told in the first person.

message 17: by Canadiangrl (new)

Canadiangrl | 8 comments SJ wrote: "I see that others have suggested it & would agree---the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian follows a group and is not told in the first person."

I forgot to add that to my list of books. I love series similar to that, following a group of people.

message 18: by SJ (new)

SJ Canadiangrl wrote: "SJ wrote: "I see that others have suggested it & would agree---the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian follows a group and is not told in the first person."

I forgot to add that to my list of boo..."

Ah...I thought it was strange that you had not read that series! The BDB and Breed are pretty much required reading for PNR fans!

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Tempted By Books (michelletemptedbybooks) | 195 comments Midinght Breed by Lara Adrian
Argeneau by Lynsay Sands
Nightcreature by Lori Handeland
Breeds by Lara Leigh

message 20: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Tessa Adams - Dragon Heat series (dragons)
GA Aiken - Dragon Kin series (dragons)
Shelly Laurenston - Pride series (shifters)
CJ Ellison - VV Inn series. (vampires & wolf)
Cynthia Eden, Hotter After Midnight (the 1rst book in the series) (demons, succubus, shifters, witches, etc)
Argeneau sereis - Lynsay Sands.
The Elder Races - Thea Harrison (dragons, fae, griffin, thunderbird, vampires)
Alyssa Day - Warriors of Poseidon series (vamps & Atlanteans)
LA Banks - Crimson Moon series (wolfs, vamps, fae)
Selena Blake - stormy Weather series (wolfs)
Pamela Palmer - Feral Warriors (shifters, demons)

message 21: by Canadiangrl (new)

Canadiangrl | 8 comments Thanks for all the great suggestions. Just finished the first book in elder races and I loved it.

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Do you like historical paranormal? There are some good series there too.

message 23: by Canadiangrl (new)

Canadiangrl | 8 comments new_user wrote: "Do you like historical paranormal? There are some good series there too."
Not too much of a history buff but am game for anything.