What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Change Me into Zeus's Daughter: A Memoir
This topic is about Change Me into Zeus's Daughter
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. memoir about a girl with a deformed face in the fifties [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hrimcealde | 15 comments I read this memoir sometime around the time that Bastard Out of Carolina came out. It is about a girl who grew up with some sort of deformity to her face and everyone called her ugly. I want to say she grew up very poor in the South in the fifties or sixties, but I'm not sure about that geographically. She grew up and eventually had plastic surgery, I think. The cover of the book was like an old photograph in sepia tones. I think it was a popular book at the time. Any help would be appreciated!

message 2: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Could it be Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53...

I'm not sure where or in what time period the author grew up, be she did live with a facial deformity brought about by cancer of the jaw.

Hrimcealde | 15 comments no, that's not it. I think this one had the word "ugly" in the title, and it was definitely a deformity that she lived with since she was a small child. But thanks, though!

Hrimcealde | 15 comments I just found it! It's Change Me into Zeus's Daughter: A Memoir. So it didn't have Ugly in the title.

message 5: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Excellent! Glad you found it. I will add the book to the group's bookshelf.