Reading the Chunksters discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
Archived 2012 Group Reads > Game of Thrones 06: Eddard, Catelyn, Sansa, Eddard, Tyrion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristi (kristicoleman) Ok, thoughts, feelings, snide remarks?? Do we need a break week in here soon? Let me know!

message 2: by Deana (last edited Feb 20, 2012 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deana (ablotial) I wasn't thrilled by this section. All the tournament play-by-plays in Sansa and Eddard(2) I really didn't care one lick about 90% of it. Similarly with the battle scene in Tyrion's section.

But I suppose someone cares ... and the fact of who won the tournament, the information about how awful Gregor is (I hope he is stripped of his knighthood, but I kind of doubt he will be) and how the Hound got his scars ... the information Varys gave about the plot to murder the king during the tourney, etc... all important things that came out of those chapters.

BUT the first two chapters were definitely the meat of this section. I'm so intrigued about how that apprentice, who Eddard believes to be the King's bastard, will come into play. And I am afraid Catelyn has made a horrible mistake by revealing herself at the inn and announcing Tyrion's supposed crimes -- if he turns out to be completely innocent I worry it will come back to bite her.

Can't wait to discuss the next section!

Sera Oh, Deana - you are so right - lots of great information begins to unfold here and the book really takes off at this point.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to agree with you Deana. I have finished the book but I'm reading back through a chapter wiki and some notes I made so I can comment on the book and I've been struggling most of the week to think of anything!

I don't really enjoy the tournament scenes either. It's something I have always found very frustrating with fantasy as I struggle to get an image of what's going on in my bed from endless battle descriptions.

I worry about Catelyn's decision to accuse Tyrion of anything. I think he is too clever to allow her to get away with embarrassing him in that way.

Martha: As I mentioned above I have finished the book but am still trying to comment when I can. It does feel like the discussion is grinding to a halt at the moment. I don't know if a break would renew regular readers but I'll still try and comment when I can.

message 5: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine (catsmeeow) Heather wrote: "As I mentioned above I have finished the book but am still trying to comment when I can. It does feel like the discussion is grinding to a halt at the moment. I don't know if a break would renew regular readers but I'll still try and comment when I can. "

Yeah...it feels like the discussion is slowing down and I don't know if a break would help either. I would rather keep going.

I'm also worried about Catelyn's decision to accuse Tyrion!

Sansa's part with the Hound was scary, but interesting. Kept with the theme of how characters are not quite clear cut good or bad. As stated repeatedly, many characters do seem ambiguous. The Hound seemed to be ugly and evil...but his story makes him more of an underdog.

message 6: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha (marthas48) I got a hint ... just a hint ... that Catelyn is beginning to doubt Tyrion's guilt. But he could be saying that to make her think it's a set up of him. He would be crafty enough to send his own dagger and then later say he's too smart to use his own dagger, that it was a set up. Oh, the plot thickens!

I don't care much for the battle/tournament scenes either --- reading or watching. But it was good to see Tyrion jump to her rescue. He could have let them have her and tried to get away. I certainly hope he's one of the good guys, but at almost halfway through the book it's still too hard to tell. I'm fine if others want to take a break, but I think I will just keep reading. I'm up to the current week now and am mostly concentrating on this one and one other book I'm reading because they're both too hard to put down. :-)

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (bibliocrates) I really enjoyed the tournament, but I like fantasy.

I've had a crazy week, so I haven't picked up the book in a while. Time to get back to it...

message 8: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 05, 2012 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne (thysanura) Finally catching up with this one a bit... :)

I ended up skimming through most of the tournament stuff, with the descriptions of the armor and all that, but I was intrigued by the stories of the Hound and Gregor. I liked that Sansa got a jolt of reality from the Hound, too.

Joffrey is still a punk.

The Catelyn chapters are usually the ones that bog me down (because I hate the way she treated Jon), but this one was more interesting. I like that she outsmarted Tyrion, too, and his realization of that was priceless.