Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2012 discussion

Level 6: Mt. Everest > Karla's A Hoarder & It's Time She Does Something About It

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool Love the name of your thread :-)

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments I saw the thread on the group feeds and some how I knew it was *that* Karla. Perhaps she'll fess up and show us photos of her boxes of books.

message 3: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments The great book fort in the basement? LOL.

message 4: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) It's a good thing *I* don't have a basement, is what I say, or I'd have a great book fort too.

Are these your already reads, Karla? Wow...

message 5: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Mine's in the garage :-).

message 6: by Karla (new)

Karla Hayes wrote: "Are these your already reads, Karla? Wow..."

Quite a few are short, smutty reads, but the add date was before 1/1/12, so they qualify. :D

I just got a talking to today about my book problem. I think I'm going to have to do some weeding. Sad panda. :(

I have pics of my TBR here.

message 7: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Ahhh.... I remember that photo. I thought it was Misfit's stash! Good luck with the weeding. Sad panda indeed!

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments I have never shared an image of my hoard. I'm too embarrassed. Especially since I don't have a basement to hide it in :p

message 9: by Karla (new)

Karla I was hoping that publicly shaming myself with the photos would help my problem, but alas, no.... It looks even worse down there in the basement now than when the photos were taken. :P I've got a huge box that I haven't sorted yet. They've gotten dumped in there and I have a tower that needs to be taken downstairs too.

I haz a pwobwem.

message 10: by Hayes (last edited May 31, 2012 01:54AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) There's a vacancy here... ;-)

[image error]

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments That might help :p

message 12: by Karla (new)

Karla Oh nice. I could get in there and have the villagers pelt me with Harlequins. :D

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

ouch!

message 14: by Hayes (last edited Feb 19, 2012 09:03AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I was thinking something naughtier, but I don't think I can say it out loud (view spoiler)

message 15: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Oh nice. I could get in there and have the villagers pelt me with Harlequins. :D"

Gives new meaning to Harley Hell, doesn't it?

message 16: by Karla (last edited Feb 20, 2012 10:45AM) (new)

Karla Next month Tammy's joining us, which should be a hoot. :P

My post up top will be getting LOTS of adds. *does happy dance*

message 17: by Karla (new)

Karla Woohoo, 29 down!

message 18: by Karla (new)

Karla Woohoo update! Just finished #40. :D

Wideacre (Wideacre, #1) by Philippa Gregory

message 19: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Woohoo!

message 20: by Karla (last edited Apr 19, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Karla I think I'll be able to do this challenge! Will have to back off on the chunkster portion after the Wideacre trilogy, though.

message 21: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Yep, know what you mean. I need to get a few more under my belt before I tackle another chunkster.

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I think I'll be able to do this challenge! Will have to back off on the chunkster portion after the Wideacre trilogy, though."

I've got a few MMPBs romances that should fit in nicely. Those 300 pager books are a piece of cake :p

message 23: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Wow, you're just zooming up the reading mountain!

message 24: by Karla (new)

Karla Jemidar wrote: "The great book fort in the basement? LOL."

The great book fort has now acquired an outlying village. Getting 51 hardcovers at the book sale this weekend didn't help. :-\ But at 50 cents to $1 a pop, how could I be good? Honestly. How strong would YOUR willpower be in those circumstances? :P

message 25: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Hey, by the time you're finished you could end up with a whole castle complex :-).

message 26: by Karla (new)

Karla Each box is a Very Big Lego. :D

message 27: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Jemidar wrote: "The great book fort in the basement? LOL."

The great book fort has now acquired an outlying village. Getting 51 hardcovers at the book sale this weekend didn't help. :-\ But at 5..."

I wouldn't have the will power. Nice finds you got though.

message 28: by Karla (new)

Karla #42-44 tossed onto the heap.

The Favored Child
Night of the Living Trekkies
Love's Bright Flame

Ugh, I think I'll have to hit the Harleys to make this challenge at the pokey rate I've been reading lately. :-\

message 29: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Any excuse, huh?

message 30: by Karla (new)

Karla Oh, like I'd much rather read Harleys than something good. :P Of course I would have much more time to read if it weren't for the gardening and other outdoor work. Yay for warm weather, but boo for all the yard work. :( Winter does have its advantages.

message 31: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments ;-D.

It's cooling down here so there's not much to outside now.

message 32: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I'm trying to finish decorating the balcony. I put the petunias in the planters, and finally found a small table and 2 chairs... but it wont stop raining! All winter we didn't have one drop of rain. All February, the classic rainy month, not one drop! Now it rains. Cold too. Grrr....

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

It's been raining a lot these past 2 weeks in Iowa (our typical June weather). I guess it makes up for all the snow we did not get this past winter. Still, it makes spring cleanup difficult (mosquitoes already, too!)

message 34: by Karla (new)

Karla Here in Vermont we had July in March, May in April, and now getting April in May. All screwed up. :-\

But I got my lettuce, spinach, carrots, some arugula, and marigolds planted today. Wanted to do more, but my back would have none of it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

You did pretty well, I'd say. I'm hoping to plant my marigolds this week.

message 36: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments We only got a couple weeks of fall and I think we blinked and missed winter, only one freeze this year, and then went straight to summer. We didn't get a chance to transplant the crepe myrtles since they came out of dormancy too early, none of the bulbs bloomed since there wasn't enough cool weather and the grass is still dead partially from drought conditions and partly from confusion. Our trees don't know what to do, they are losing some of their leave again and the the magnolia started to bud and then stopped, that's never happened before. Everything is all out of whack.

Karla, we wouldn't have been able to resist either. We all understand, since books are our addiction and we accept and share that weakness.

message 37: by Karla (last edited May 11, 2012 03:21PM) (new)

Karla Apparently I'm a masochist, because I still want to read another Lolah Burford book after this odd little piece of boring, obnoxious WTFery.

#46: MacLyon by Lolah Burford

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice cover. ;)

message 39: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Karla, from your status updates I would have to agree you are a masochist to want to put up with that again. WTFery is right.

I agree with Jeannette, beautiful cover but imagine how Burford would write up a description for it? My head starts to pound thinking about it.

message 40: by Karla (new)

Karla I did my own description for my edition because the ones that's been put as the default is a spoiler-filled summary. The back of the book is no help - it's more like an excerpt of sexy times and says nothing about the plot. It's like Signet had no clue how to go about it.

message 41: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments I recently got an old Rosalind Laker like that. It was as if they could apply it to numerous books since it was so vague, I certainly wouldn't have picked it up had I found that edition on the shelves. Maybe you should make your spoiler-less summary the default for the book. I would hate to read a summary that contained spoilers, reviews are bad enough but that is worse.

message 42: by Karla (new)

Karla Wooohoo! The local UBS is going out of business (well, that's sad), but they're selling their bookcases and I've just reserved 10 of 'em that will house approx. 3000 mmpbs. Schweet!

My hoarding will get some POLISH!

message 43: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Wooooohoooo indeed!!

message 44: by Karla (new)

Karla I'm so excited you can't even imagine. :P

message 45: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments And that will give you the excuse to just aquire more :D

Happy shelving.

message 46: by Jemidar (last edited May 30, 2012 04:38PM) (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments I think I can! I know how I'd feel. Conratulations :-).

message 47: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I'm so excited you can't even imagine. :P"

Oh no, we most certainly can imagine and understand your excitement! And just think those books will get out of their cardboard boxes and into the light. Oh happy day!

message 48: by Karla (new)

Karla The books in the bottom boxes will be relieved, for sure.

The process starts this weekend with cleaning crap out (aka that bookshelf of VHS tapes O__o) to make room for the bookshelves in the living room. :D

message 49: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I'm so excited you can't even imagine. :P"

I bet your Garage is thrilled too!

message 50: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "The books in the bottom boxes will be relieved, for sure.

The process starts this weekend with cleaning crap out (aka that bookshelf of VHS tapes O__o) to make room for the bookshelves in the livi..."

I just did that a while ago. Boxed up and ready for the charity truck Saturday, along with tons of books I've weeded out. Why should I should keep all that Dickens, Eliot, etc. around taking up room when they can be had on the kindle for free when I'm ready to read them.

« previous 1