Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth, Chief Wordsmith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 13 comments Mod
Welcome everyone!

Occasionally information on Goodreads is just plain wrong - or missing. We've found misspelled books & authors, missing cover images, different editions of books that aren't combined or are incorrectly combined, and other problems. For example, sometimes a book or an author is missing a description or url.

At first we allowed anyone to fix and fill in these pieces of data. However, over time we've noticed that while most people can be trusted to do a good job, sometimes this process didn't work out.

Now we have a new category of people: Goodreads Librarians. These members can fix all of the above issues, and are known to be committed to Goodreads and to keeping its data clean. Becoming a Librarian is simple - you just have to have 50 books shelved, and then use the 'contact us' link in the footer and tell us you'd like to be a librarian. We keep track of all changes Librarians make, so if someone is abusing the system we can always fix things.

We're hoping that this group will be a way for members of Goodreads (not just Librarians) to find and fix book inaccuracies and collaborate to make Goodreads even better!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I seem to have suddenly been granted Librarian status, which is very nifty and an honor (Thank you!), but I didn't ask to be, nor was I invited to join by a Librarian, as the edit information boxes for books suggest...so I was just wondering why. A mistake? Or perhaps because I'm an author? It's neat, but I'm awfully curious.

message 3: by Marc (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Marc (marcbeaudin) | 1 comments Hello, Honore,
I've recently just joined GoodReads as well as being granted Librarian status. I'm pretty sure that we get this because we're writers. (It's one of the few perks in the world for being a writer - that and the occasional free beer at the bar where I write).
-Marc

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, I see -- thanks! Now if only it could be parlayed into somewhat higher royalty payments...

message 5: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hi guys,

Yes, when you join the Authors Program we grant you librarian status automatically. Just another 'perk' of being an author :)

cheers,

Otis