You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Do you like peanut butter?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Ok, yes a very random question.

I've made peanut butter cookies for this cake stall me and my friend are doing tomorrow. We're raising money for charity.

Then I had a thought.... do people actually like peanut butter :S

Let me know what you think. I personally think it is yuk. I don't really know why I've made them....... ha ha!

message 2: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Okay well then thats kinda a yes. :P Hopefully other people will love it as well. Hope I don't make anyone ill :S

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments I love peanut butter! I like to eat peanut butter toast at night in the winter and I like peanut butter cookies, especially if they have chocolate chips or mini M&Ms in them.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I love peanut butter, especially on toast and then I love love vegemite on toast as well.

message 5: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I love peanut butter. One of my favorite snacks is peanut butter, raisins, and green olives.

message 6: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments I love peanut butter! In fact, a playgroup I'm in for my son is having a cookie swap party and I have to make some sort of festive holiday cookie. I want to do something with peanut butter in it. Mmmmm...now I'm hungry for peanut butter cookies!! Jenny, I'm sure you'll have a hit! Good luck!

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 27 comments I love peanut butter too! There's a restaurant in downtown NYC that's basically all peanut butter dishes, it's amazing!

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Oohhh. Allison, what is the name of that restaurant? Next time I'm down there, I HAVE to check it out!

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Love the peanut butter! For a long time I was a crunchy only gal, but now I think I lean toward the creamy variety.

message 10: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments HOORAY!! My mind is at rest :)

message 11: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments On Monday a friend from the US said she was making a quick trip to the UK, arriving in 2 days time. She's spending half a day with us and asked what she could bring my son. Teenage boys aren't always easy - but in fact it was: peanut butter with grape jelly! (Why is it so hard to get over here?)

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 6 comments I think I must be the only person here who can't stand peanut butter. I don't eat anything with peanut butter, and yes that does include candy...since I really don't like chocolate anyways (yes yes I know...I'm weird)

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 27 comments Jaime, it's called Peanut Butter & Co.! It's awesome, I believe it's on Sullivan street. Do you ever go to The Strand bookstore when you're here?!

message 14: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Allison,

I LOVE The Strand bookstore!! It's like a drug for me though. It's so addicting and I go in there and I get so excited and I end up spending way too much!! I haven't been down in quite some time though. I have to get my parents to watch my son and make the trip soon. I love it there this time of year!!

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 27 comments Jaime, I recently discovered it and it's such a bad addiction for me too! I was just there last night AND the week before, and between those 2 trips I picked up 11 books - really, really not okay! Hope you can come to NYC soon, have some peanut butter and buy some books!

message 16: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna | 2 comments I don't like it...it's neither sweet nor salty... and quite frankly i find it tasteless :P when I use it I end up adding lots of sugar on top, so I guess i might as well use only the sugar or plain butter.

message 17: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Jamie, re the peanut cookies for the playgoup, I'm interested they're allowed. Most of the playgroups and to some of the schools I know of (in the UK) are so paranoid of nut allergy that they don't allow them on the premises, even for non-allergic children in their own packed lunch.

message 18: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Oh, no it's not like that here at all. I think peanut butter and jelly is probably the most popular packed lunch for kids in school and it always used to be on hand in the lunchroom as a daily alternative to what they are serving too (probably still is)! People bring peanut butter to playgroups all the time and many people don't even tell you it's in something they bring! I am always VERY careful to tell parents what is in the stuff I bring and I always ask them what's in their dish too. My Mom and sister have a walnut allergy, so I know what it's like (Mom's is pretty bad-she carries an epi-pen) . In fact, I haven't given peanut butter to my 21-month-old yet where most people I know with kids my son's age have. I think some pediatrician's here recommend waiting until at least two or three but it isn't something people seem as worried about here. I am, though. I do remember reading studies done on peanut allergies when I was pregnant and they did come from the UK. I think it had something to do with a possible link between consuming while pregnant and creating allergies in your unborn child. When I asked my OBGYN though, he laughed at me and told me that it's actually generally believed to be better to consume it b/c it helps build tolerance and protect AGAINST allergies. Who knows? I did eat it often while pregnant as did most people I know. My peanut butter cookies would be for the adults and parents who know their kids aren't allergic (they will definitely know what's in them!).

message 19: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Oh, yeah, I forgot to ask......Does peanut butter taste differently in the UK and USA? The peanut butter I eat is far from tasteless. It's very creamy and sweet with a very strong, distinct flavor. In fact, just a smidgen or it adds flavor. I eat the bad for you kind, though (Peter Pan variety, fpr the most part). Not the all natural kind. Jenny, Can you believe this question has caused this much discussion? LOL

message 20: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Ha ha it's well funny :P I don't know if peanut butter is as popular in the UK, I may be wrong though. I dunno if it tastes the same :S it sounds like it does.

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) I love peanut butter! I've tasted both US and UK peanut butter and I'd say they taste the same ... only the bad for you stuff though, I don't like the 'good for you' peanut butter - that IS tasteless!

I LOVE Reece's peanut butter balls!!! If only we could get them easily here in the UK! (actually it's probably better that we can't, I'd be even fatter than I am now!)

message 22: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna | 2 comments well... i really don't know if the stuff they sell you here in México is different, but it definitely is tasteless...even my dad thinks so, in fact that´s the reason why he loves it, because its not really sweet

message 23: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Ariadna,
I bet it is the healthy stuff! That kind of peanut butter is pretty tasteless. It's thick and gross. Damn health food (LOL)!

SuzieR,
The Reece's Peanut Butter balls....are they the same thing as Reese's Peanut Butter cups? If they are like "bulls-eye" peanut butter balls, I can get you a great recipe! My mother-in-law makes phenomenal bulls-eyes for Christmas (peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate). I could sit there and eat them all day. Which is really bad, b/c there's probably about a million calories in just one!!

Mmmmm.....it's Thanksgiving here today and all this food talk, plus smelling the turkey and stuffing baking has got me super hungry!!!

message 24: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Yes they are Jaime! I'd love the recipe!

Happy Thanksgiving by the way! I kind of wish we celebrated Thanksgiving here, it always sounds like such a lot of fun!

message 25: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments SuzieR,

I'll post the recipe as soon as I get it! Argh.....I am so, so hungry!!

message 26: by Kipahni (last edited Nov 28, 2008 09:16AM) (new)

Kipahni | 144 comments I love peanut butter. I just moved to a small village in egypt brought only 1 jar of creamy jiff and it was gone with in the first three months. My husband realizing my addiction to the "peanut spread" (as he calls it) was on a mission to find something similar to it.

Then one day he came home with a huge grin on his face and exclaimed "look what I found!" He then presented me with 5 jars of peanutbutter (egyptian made)
It taste okay, like the health food kind (non hydrogenated oil and less sugar make it a saltier taste)

I can't wait to get home though and eat some of the non-healthy crunchy peanut butter kind.

message 27: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Hey Kipahni! Welcome to the group! That's such a cute story! Even if it is the healthy kind :)