Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (Jan 2012) - Rules of Civility - Amor Towles

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Rules of Civility by Amor TowlesRules of Civility

Post your comments here.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) read this a few weeks ago....not a book I would have picked up on my own but it was highly suggested by a few people & I liked it very much...loved the era

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm next in line at the library on this one, so hope to have it soon.

message 4: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 01, 2012 02:12PM) (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments I am not quite at the halfway point and I am really enjoying this story. Right now, most of my enjoyment is coming from landing on all of the literary references and that Towles made his protagonist bookish!! Hee hee hee. The story moves along at a good clip. I am invested in Katharine (Katey). I was recently on vacation in New York City, so all of the city landmarks and references are also making this a great reading experience. I started last evening and the timing was serendipitous - it opens on New Year's Eve! This book, so far, is a very interesting look at the slices of society in NYC during the years book-ending The Depression.

Edit: I forgot to note that I am really enjoying the old photos the lead off some chapters. They complement the story really well and, for me, are deepen my interest.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments I finished this novel last week and really loved it! What a great read to start off the new year!

Is anyone else reading this now?

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Jennifer wrote: "I finished this novel last week and really loved it! What a great read to start off the new year!

Is anyone else reading this now?"

I was hoping to have it read, but I'm still on the waiting list at the library - it's due in a few days and I'm #1 on the list, though, so I should be starting soon.

message 7: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 10, 2012 08:14AM) (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments Oh, that's great, Lynn!! I would love to hear your thoughts once you have read the novel!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Jennifer wrote: "I finished this novel last week and really loved it! What a great read to start off the new year!

Is anyone else reading this now?"

I read it several weeks ago...

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments Becky wrote: "I read it several weeks ago..."

Aaaand??? What did you think, Becky?? :) LOL!!

I would like to chat a bit about the story with others who have read the book.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) I liked the book quite a bit. Not a book I would have picked up on my own but I am so glad I did....I loved Katey, she was a great character & I loved the era....a really beautiful book I thought

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments I thought so too, Becky. I was interested in the book as I love "first novels" so try to find literary debuts that have descriptions that grab my attention. I would call this a fun read and I liked the timing of my read - right after coming back from NYC and I started it on New Year's Eve. I had no idea it started out that way, so that was a happy coincidence. I really liked that the city was almost a character in the story too! And, yes! Katey was a great character. Not clichéd and Towles developed her really well. I would have liked a bit more about her and Val, though. That felt a bit pat at the end, even though it wasn't a surprise given his appearance at the beginning of the story. (If that makes sense?)

message 12: by Rita (new)

Rita | 6 comments I read this book last year and really enjoyed it. It felt very Great Gatsby-ish at times (something which I loved).

I'm a sucker for period pieces and I felt the character development was very thorough.

message 13: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 10, 2012 02:23PM) (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments He did really capture this slice of time/segment of society really well, didn't he?? I mean, not that I am an expert by any stretch of the imagination on this era, but it just read so seamlessly. As though these were real people and real moments in their lives.

Edit: I also get really impressed when authors pull off writing in the voice of the opposite sex. So, Towles being a dude, wrote Kate very, very well!!

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Jennifer wrote: "He did really capture this slice of time/segment of society really well, didn't he?? I mean, not that I am an expert by any stretch of the imagination on this era, but it just read so seamlessly. ..."

I agree-I read a book years ago & I was shocked that a man wrote it because he really captured the female part so well

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments Yes! I have a few titles I can think of like that, but the one that really pops into my mind is The Book Of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. (In the U.S. it was released under the title, Someone Knows My Name.) Amazing!

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Jewel by Bret Lott is the one I was thinking of

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments Oh, yes! Lott did a great job with Jewel.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Jennifer wrote: "Oh, yes! Lott did a great job with Jewel."

Funny thing, I realized the book I am currently reading is written by a man & told through the eyes of a woman...
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda | 890 comments Becky wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Oh, yes! Lott did a great job with Jewel."

Funny thing, I realized the book I am currently reading is written by a man & told through the eyes of a woman...
[book:One Thousand Whi..."

I enjoyed that one, Becky.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments That sounds interesting, Becky! I was thinking about this idea last night and two books came to mind for pushing the idea even further: Middlesex and Annabel. Both main characters are hermaphrodites and each author ends up writing in voices opposite to their own gender. Both books are amazing accomplishments, though I really did LOVE Annabel and only liked Middlesex.

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) I did not read Annabel & I felt the same as you with Middlesex, it was OK for me...

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments Mmmm! I recommend Annabel very highly! It's also a good winter read, being set in Newfoundland. The weather plays a role. Sort of.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Jennifer wrote: "Mmmm! I recommend Annabel very highly! It's also a good winter read, being set in Newfoundland. The weather plays a role. Sort of."

My book group(on GR!) read it & it just didn't sound interesting enough to me & I passed on it...

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments OH! ACK! That's sad-making! Winter is an amazing writer. It' even more praise-worthy (in my weird brain) because it's her debut novel.

;)

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) I couldn't get past the cover.....

message 26: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 12, 2012 07:39AM) (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments Oh dear. What was the edition you saw/they were using? This one --> Annabel by Kathleen Winter?

I thought it was beautiful.

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Annabel by Kathleen Winter & yes I know there were 2 covers but I just didn't have any pull to read it

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 257 comments Yes, that cover is striking but a bit unnerving too.

message 29: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I finished this yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I would love to have a friend like Katie. She is so smart and cool with a tremendous sense of self.

The author did a great job depicting the times. It made me feel sentimental even though I wasn't there. I'm happy just thinking about it now.

I gave it 4.5 stars.

message 30: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Becky wrote: "Annabel by Kathleen Winter & yes I know there were 2 covers but I just didn't have any pull to read it"

Yes, this cover creeps me out, too.

aPriL does feral sometimes (CheshireScratch) I finished this yesterday and I'm very happy I read it. I plan to reread it someday. The story held my interest as much as the beautiful and perceptive writing. At times I felt I was reading a poet's excerpt rather than a story.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rules of Civility (other topics)
Someone Knows My Name (other topics)
The Book of Negroes (other topics)
Jewel (other topics)
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lawrence Hill (other topics)
Bret Lott (other topics)