Snow Crash Snow Crash discussion

Science behind Snow Crash

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabriel While reading I became really interested in the ideas behind all of the viruses, as well as Babel, and Snow Crash itself. I was wondering if anyone thinks there is a way this can be applied to the real, phsical world.

James Macanufo google "meme theory" and read The Social Life of Information. More empirical evidence to be had for the crossover between digital and physical manifestation of viruses; worth investigation for sure. Right now might just be a linguistic treat, a metaphor at best.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 07, 2011 05:30PM) (new)

Memetics, as James mentioned, is very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed The Electric Meme: A New Theory of How We Think.

Lindenmayer Systems (The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants) and Genetic Algorithms (An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms) are fascinating topics for similar reasons and have a more real-world application.

Nottyboy I didn't buy the whole language as a virus angle in the book. No one is going to be infected with a mind 'virus' by reading binary code. That makes no sense from a memetics or even software perspective.

message 5: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian I think some of the Sumerian stuff might be based on Julian Jaynes' "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", which posits a fascinating theory that no one really takes that seriously.