Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What's your "go-to" breakfast place? What do you get?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What's your "go-to" breakfast place either on a weekend morning or when you don't want to make breakfast? What did you usually get?

message 2: by Félix (last edited Nov 19, 2011 07:56AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Cracker Barrel (pancakes). Bob Evans (great omelets). Wheatfields in Omaha (everything is good).

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) I rarely go out to breakfast except when I am traveling. I do like Panera bread. I love their cinnamon crunch bagels with hazelnut cream cheese.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments The City Diner, a local place, cozy, serves breakfast all day. The pancakes are great.

message 5: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments It's only a gas station, but Wawa makes a fantastic pancake, sausage, egg and cheese sandwich. And their coffee is great, too. The sandwiches are like 500+ calories, so I don't eat them more than once a week, usually on Sundays.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wawa. I remember one morning as I walked in Philadelphia and a bedraggled young woman of the streets asked me for spare change. I handed her a five -- and her face lit up. "Now I can go get breakfast at Wawa!"

message 7: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Weird. But the sandwiches are pretty cheap but really filling, so I guess that's a good place to spend your panhandling money.

message 8: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I'm not much of a going-out-to breakfast person, but if I do, there's a local place here called Michael's AM that has pretty good sausage gravy.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
I rarely go out to breakfast except when I'm traveling either. When I do, it's usually to someplace like Le Pain Quotidien, because a) there always seems to be one nearby, b) everyone can find something they like on the menu, c) it's easy to take small children to. I really prefer diner breakfast food. I love pancakes, syrup, sausage, bacon. I prefer these over Frenchy breakfasts. But I end up at the Frenchy place. They have Belgian waffle, homemade granola, steel cut oatmeal, and a variety of omelets.

message 10: by Barb (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

Barb There aren't many good breakfast restaurants around here, but there are two diners that we like ... I almost always get your standard eggs/sausage/home fries + light rye toast.
I used to have a favorite joint before moving to Sudbury. I always had the same thing there (bacon instead of sausage), but ohhhh my god. So good. Everything was made from scratch, and they brought their bread in from a local bakery, so it had that homemade bread taste. So good. I miss it. We went there whenever we went to visit my mom, but they sold it and the new owners just aren't the same.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) There is an great place in Denver that I almost forgot about-Annie's. Great for breakfast or any time really. They make terrific green chili. I love huevos rancheros there.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I go to Harry's in Port Washington for breakfast, or Tello's, both excellent places. I love huevos rancheros (sp?) on a Sunday morning. I probably don't go enough.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That City Diner place looks great, Jonathan. I miss diners like that.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I wish I could remember where I had this enormous waffle one time. It was near Goose Island, but looking at the Goose Island Brewery menu I don't see it there. It filled the whole plate of course, was piled with pecans and syrup, and when I was done I felt like I needed to sleep for a week.

message 15: by Félix (last edited Nov 20, 2011 05:42PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) One of the best breakfasts I've ever had was at Old Ebbit Grill, near the White House in DC. The pancakes were unbelievable.

http://www.ebbitt.com

message 16: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Old Ebbit was my very favorite restaurant when I lived in Virginia. I LOVED that place...

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

OMG, it's owned and operated by Clyde's. I cannot escape Clyde's. I am so sick of Clyde's. The last time I went there I got chili that tasted like a bowl of ketchup. It is the choice of the people in my circle who need bland American food.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Last time I was there was almost 20 years ago.

message 19: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments I haven't been there in almost 13 years, but I've heard it's gone downhill. Sad.

Or maybe I was 20 and had underdeveloped tastebuds from living in bumblef*ck Oregon and didn't know what bland food was?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:34PM) (new)

Well, just because some dishes are bad doesn't mean all are. Sometimes a place does breakfast well and fucks up other stuff. I've never had breakfast there.

And the "Old Ebbitt's" name has been around forever, one of the original Washington restaurants, so doubtless it used to be better. And then was bought out by corporate Clyde's.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The last time I was there, I made a reservation for dinner. Somehow, the reservation was mysteriously "lost" when we arrived at the appointed time.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

That was Herman Cain. He upgraded your reservation to a better dining room.

message 23: by Félix (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:45PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ah. I wondered. It was the same day we stood in line to check out of the Hotel Washington behind Bob Keeshan. We were tongue-tied then, and several minutes later when he walked out and got in his limo as we waited for our car from the valet. All I wanted to say was, "Good morning, Captain."

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments LG, do you ever go to Ann Sather's? They're ok but, in my eyes, kind of overrated.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments On the rare occasion we go out for breakfast we usually go to Huddle House or a small locally owned mom & pop's called Eaker's. The majority of the time if we eat breakfast fare in a restaurant it's for dinner at one or the other of those two places. I love restaurants that serve breakfast all day.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Village Inn (a western chain) serves brekky all day. Good stuff, too. I like their omelets.

message 27: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Angela wrote: "On the rare occasion we go out for breakfast we usually go to Huddle House or a small locally owned mom & pop's called Eaker's. The majority of the time if we eat breakfast fare in a restaurant it'..."

I prefer breakfast for dinner (brinner!). All that greasy, carbo-loaded food first thing in the morning is just too much.

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Cottage Cafe - Eggs Benedict

message 29: by Heidi (last edited Nov 21, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I don't go out to eat breakfast much.

The place I loved is closed now - it was Beechwood Grill and the bagels with lox was to die for.

I haven't been to another place that served it so well and beautifully presented.

The bagel was made in house and perfectly toasted and was served with sliced smoked salmon/lox - the freshest flavor, a schmear of house made cream cheese spread, capers, thinly sliced red onion rings, lemon slices, fresh arugala, sliced tomatoes, fresh dill, and a side cup of hashbrown casserole and a seasonal fresh fruit cup... add a mimosa and voila! Sublime and delicious perfection

message 30: by Kevin (last edited Nov 21, 2011 02:00PM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments dutch cafe in bunker hill, IN. owned and operated by the Gingrich family (the name is important) it features home cooking at it's finest. on the breakfast buffet there are fresh baked homemade rolls along with 3 kinds of gravy. they make legit pan fried chicken and have homemade pies. they do a french toast casserole that is out of this world. the place is packed at breakfast and lunch. i took a friend in there once and he looked at the ladies all wearing traditional Mennonite clothing and steve said "them ain't costumes are they?". nope, this is like 9 grandma's cooking for you.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would go there.

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Sounds amazing. I'm putting that one on the bucket list.

message 33: by Barb (new)

Barb There's a truck stop up here that's run by mennonites ... it's very good.
They sell Amish romance novels. Right there beside the auto traders - it amuses me.

message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) There are Amish people living in our community. They sell homemade pies, rolls and cakes at the Farmers market-they are very yummy. They also cater meals and make delicious roast beef and a hash brown casserole that is to die for.
I even got their recipe!

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "LG, do you ever go to Ann Sather's? They're ok but, in my eyes, kind of overrated."

It's been years since I was there. I agree: okay, but overrated.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

::writhes::

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Self-writhing?

message 38: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Starlite. Typical coney island. Delicious food. Even when I eat breakfast, I get a starlite platter. Double cheeseburger with just ketchup. Fries golden brown, apple sauce. :)

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments When I was a kid living in New Orleans, Popeye's would serve breakfast back when Al Copeland still owned it and it was a local franchise... the best damn buttermilk biscuits w/ a fresh fried egg; ham, sausage, bacon, or chicken (I loved the ham one); and cheese. Oh man, those biscuit's will melt in your mouth, they're so buttery and delicious when they're fresh. Between Popeye's and Cafe du Monde, I was spoiled for breakfast.

I don't do it on my own, but when my sister comes to town, I'll swing by Boulevard Bread Co for enough pastries (the apple danish is to-die-for) & muffins to get us through the weekend. The original owner used to work at Pailard (sp?) in San Fran & brought his talents back home (Little Rock). He lost the restaurant and menu there in a divorce. But as a mark of his baking prowess, he's since opened two very popular restaurants here (ZaZa and Big Orange). He's known for using the finest and local ingredients in his dishes. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can find some pics of his pastries at Boulevard posted online. His breakfast sandwich ain't too shabby, either. Any of y'all remember that breakfast sandwich Adam Sandler makes for himself at home in the movie Spanglish? If you've seen it, you know the one... yeah - Boulevard's breakfast sandwich. I don't ever go there unless my sis is in town. I know as soon as I walk in the door there, I'll walk out $40 dollars lighter in the purse.

message 40: by Cyril (new)

Cyril It's IHOP for us when we go out for breakfast. It's easy with kids.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

There's a pancake house near me (I'm not sure if it's IHOP) but the waits there on the weekend are crazy. 45 min-1 hr. No thank you.

message 42: by Heidi (last edited Nov 22, 2011 09:15AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Heidi wrote: "When I was a kid living in New Orleans, Popeye's would serve breakfast back when Al Copeland still owned it and it was a local franchise... the best damn buttermilk biscuits w/ a fresh fried egg; h..."

Boulevard Bread Company:

I like to sit on the patio and eat breakfast here -

[image error]

INSIDE BOULEVARD -

(inside the original)
[image error]

(at the downtown location)

BOULEVARD PASTRIES -

[image error]

Popeye's buttermilk biscuits -

Cafe Du Monde Beignets:

dining on the patio -

the beignets and cafe au lait are totally worth the wait to get a seat -

Also worth a mention, Ozark Country Restaurant in Little Rock.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Pastries usually don't appeal to me. I'd much rather have a donut.

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments heidi! i forgot about cafe du monde. yes. that is a def top 3 for me

message 45: by Heidi (last edited Nov 23, 2011 07:41AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "heidi! i forgot about cafe du monde. yes. that is a def top 3 for me"

It was a big part of my childhood, Kevin... It has a special place in my heart. :)

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) I love beignets!

message 47: by FabulousRaye (new)

FabulousRaye There's a little diner in the next town over. It's called StowNut Donut. They make everything from scratch, and have amazing donuts.

I keep switching up what I eat. They have a tasty sloppy joe omelet that I adore.

message 48: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments I go downstairs to my kitchen.

When dragged out to eat breakfast, I always marvel at the quantities of food served up. People actually eat that much in the morning? Holy crap!

I did go out last Sunday, to a small place in the town where I grew up (Sierra Madre, CA). The breakfast came with choice of bacon, sausage or ham (I said "no" to all three) and toast (again I said no). I just wanted an omelette, not all that other stuff.

message 49: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Raye, I'm going to have to get over there and check it out!

message 50: by FabulousRaye (new)

FabulousRaye Jammies wrote: "Raye, I'm going to have to get over there and check it out!"

Capital idea! I hope you like it as much as I do.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.