The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 15.1 - Cause Knowledge is Power!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
15.1 Cause Knowledge is Power!: Schoolhouse Rock debuted on American television on January 6, 1973.
Read TWO books choosing from 2 different options from categories A-D
A. Conjunction Junction: Read a book with a title or subtitle that contains a coordinating conjunction: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So.
B. Unpack Your Adjectives- Read a book with a superlative adjective in the title/subtitle: Best, Worst, Biggest, "Most + adjective", etc.
C. Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla- Read a book with a pronoun in the title/subtitle *note the use of "most"
D. Interjections!- So when you're happy (Hurray!) or sad (Aw!) Read a book whose title begins with an interjection or has an exclamation point in the title or subtitle.
Darn! That's the end!

OR

ONE book that fits two of the categories above.ex. Boom!: Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections and Lessons for Today option D- Boom! and option A "and"; Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers options B and C; Yeah, I Said It options C and D

Required: Please state the options you chose when you post

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 26, 2011 03:55AM) (new)

A. Ampersands (&) work as "and"

B. superlative adjectives- from "English the Easy Way" Superlative adjectives are used to compare at least 3 things or 3 groups of things. When we want to state that something is at the highest or the lowest degree, then we use superlative adjectives. Superlative adjectives state that something is the most, there can't be any more or that something is the least, there can't be any less.
stupidest

first, firstborn work for B
"all" is a numeral adjective pronoun not a superlative adjective

C. "your" is a possessive adjective that's not on the list, but It works along with "my"

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina Since my days of english class are long over I'm having some trouble actually understanding this task.

Is stupidest an superlative adjective? Basically, can I use The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror?

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Felina wrote: "Since my days of english class are long over I'm having some trouble actually understanding this task.

Is stupidest an superlative adjective? Basically, can I use [book:The Stupidest Angel: A Hear..."

yes, stupidest is a superlative adjective- that works

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina Thanks Dlmrose. Wow, that was way harder than it should have been. This girl is rusty.

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Felina wrote: "Wow, that was way harder than it should have been. This girl is rusty."

You mean you don't diagram sentences for fun?? ;-)

message 8: by Felina (new)

Felina Dlmrose wrote: "Felina wrote: "Wow, that was way harder than it should have been. This girl is rusty."

You mean you don't diagram sentences for fun?? ;-)"

Ha ha. Only on the weekends.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15613 comments Mod
How about "&" instead of "and" for a conjunction:
The Way We Never Were: American Families & the Nostalgia Trap

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Sandy wrote: "How about "&" instead of "and" for a conjunction:
The Way We Never Were: American Families & the Nostalgia Trap"

Ampersands (&) work as "and"

message 11: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Could I use Me & Emma to cover A & C?

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Could I use Me & Emma to cover A & C?"

yes, that works

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy | 820 comments For the one book option would For All the Tea in China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed History work?

Conjuction - for/and
Pronoun - All (from the pronoun list)

Thanks!

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Just want to double check (grammar was never my best subject): Then They Came for Me: A Family's Story of Love, Captivity, and Survival. I think it works for A (for) and C (me)?

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Judy wrote: "For the one book option would For All the Tea in China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed History work?

Conjuction - for/and
Pronoun - All (from the prono..."

That works
all- pron. The entire or total number, amount, or quantity; totality

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Kate wrote: "Just want to double check (grammar was never my best subject): Then They Came for Me: A Family's Story of Love, Captivity, and Survival. I think it works for A (for) and C (me)?"

It works

message 17: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments I think this works for options B & C, but wanted to make sure...

His Darkest Hunger

His=Pronoun
Darkest=Superlative Adjective

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Valorie wrote: "I think this works for options B & C, but wanted to make sure...

His Darkest Hunger

His=Pronoun
Darkest=Superlative Adjective"

It works

message 19: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Thanks!

message 20: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments Will The Best of Me work for B and C?

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Connie wrote: "Will The Best of Me work for B and C?"

Yes it will

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Will Kill Me If You Can work for A & C?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

☆Rebecca G. wrote: "Will Kill Me If You Can work for A & C?"

Oops, I just seen it said coordinating conjunction, back to the drawing board :)

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

☆Rebecca G. wrote: "Will Kill Me If You Can work for A & C?"

"If" isn't a coordinating conjunction (it's subordinating). Option A requires "For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So"

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

☆Rebecca G. wrote: "Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There for A&C?"

That one works

message 27: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments So Scream for Me (book #8) would work for A & C?

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

BJ Rose wrote: "So Scream for Me (book #8) would work for A & C?"

I think "for" is used as a preposition in the title, but it's on the list so I'll take it

message 29: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments The School for Brides by Cheryl Ann Smith and When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You, #1) by Meg Cabot

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "The School for Brides by Cheryl Ann Smith and When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You, #1) by Meg Cabot"

Which option for When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You, #1) by Meg Cabot ?

message 31: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments 1-800-Where-R-You is the series title. For option C.

message 32: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments lol it turned it into an actual phone number!

message 33: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "1-800-Where-R-You is the series title. For option C."

Series titles don't work unless they are specifically included in the task description- sorry, they are not included in this task

message 34: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments How about 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Jazz Tremaine #1) by Linda Wisdom ?

message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "How about 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Jazz Tremaine #1) by Linda Wisdom?"

"your" is a possessive adjective that's not on the list, but I'll take it along with "my"

message 36: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Thanks!

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Karen GHHS wrote: "Are one word titles with ! still interjections?

Swamplandia!
Steampunk!: An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories"

They're not interjections, but you may use any title with "!" alternatively

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Would I'll Be There for You work for options a and c?

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Sarah wrote: "Would I'll Be There for You work for options a and c?"

yes

message 41: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales works for A, C, & D, right? So it would be all covered for the 1-book option? Thanks!

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Randi wrote: "God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales works for A, C, & D, right? So it would be all covered for the 1-book option? Thanks!"

That's right, it works as the one book option

message 43: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Randi wrote: "God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales works for A, C, & D, right? So it would be all covered for the 1-book option? Thanks!"

That's rig..."

Thank you muchly! :)

message 44: by Janet (last edited Dec 07, 2011 01:07PM) (new)

Janet Berkman (jannie_b) Redeemed: A Spiritual Misfit Stumbles Toward God, Marginal Sanity, and the Peace That Passes All Understanding

Can I use this for

(A) "and" - conjunction
(B) "all" - superlative adjective modifying understanding

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

Janet wrote: "Redeemed: A Spiritual Misfit Stumbles Toward God, Marginal Sanity, and the Peace That Passes All Understanding

Can I use this for

(A) "and" - conjunction
(B) "all" - superlative..."

Sorry, "all" is a numeral adjective pronoun not a superlative adjective

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Liora wrote: "Chicken Soup for the Soul: Moms & Sons - 29 Stories about Courage and Persistence, Making a Difference, Gratitude, and Learning from Each Other

Can this book be used for this tas..."

The title works, but this title is only available on audio. Without a written edition, this title can't be used for SRC tasks.

message 48: by Liora (new)

Liora (chinquapin) | 0 comments Sorry, I clicked on a wrong link. I know there is a print version because I have the paperback book right here. Let me try again.

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Moms & Sons: Stories by Mothers and Sons, in Appreciation of Each Other

message 49: by Dlmrose (new)

Liora wrote: "Sorry, I clicked on a wrong link. I know there is a print version because I have the paperback book right here. Let me try again.

[book:Chicken Soup for the Soul: Moms & Sons: Stories by Mothe..."

That one works- "each other" is on the pronoun list and "&" = and

message 50: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments I should not be asking this question, but... Does "who" work as a pronoun in this title? Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook?

« previous 1