The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 15.6 - Read 'Em Their Writes!

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 05, 2011 12:19PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
15.6 Read 'Em Their Writes!: January is CrimeStoppers Month- Read a book with a police officer or law enforcement professional as a significant character or non-fiction subject. The character or non-fiction subject must be an active member of the law enforcement force- not retired or "former". These lists may help Best Police Procedurals Cop/Sheriff Romance Novels
Book 'Em, Danno!
Required: Please identify the character if it is not clear in the book description.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 05, 2011 12:40PM) (new)

Here's a list of law enforcement agencies

Private investigators don't work; amateur detectives don't work, BUT they often interact significantly with the police/constable/FBI agent, etc.

Military personnel are not law enforcement- Military police and other law enforcement branches within the military services DO work

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Katie (last edited Nov 19, 2011 09:44AM) (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Does F is for Fugitive by Sue Grafton work for this task? Kinsey Millhone is a private investigator.

EDIT: I think I just answered my own question. The first Listopia list specifically says that amateur sleuths (including PIs) do NOT count as Police Procedurals.

message 5: by Felina (new)

Felina I'm wanting to do The Bone Collector. This works right?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2966 comments I would think any Stephanie Plum book would work?

message 7: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 19, 2011 10:51AM) (new)

Katie wrote: "Does F is for Fugitive by Sue Grafton work for this task? Kinsey Millhone is a private investigator.

EDIT: I think I just answered my own question. The first Listopia..."

I would like to limit this to law enforcement professionals not other types of investigator see post 2

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Felina wrote: "I'm wanting to do The Bone Collector. This works right?"

"police detective Amelia Sachs at his side" qualifies

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I would think any Stephanie Plum book would work?"

Yes, but not because of Stephanie Plum- she's bail bonds not law enforcement, but Joe works

Joe Morelli- Detective, Crimes against Persons, Trenton PD

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments I'm guessing that Monday Mourning and the other Temperance Brennan books will work? She's a forensic anthropologist, but she works cases with the cops.

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Kate wrote: "I'm guessing that Monday Mourning and the other Temperance Brennan books will work? She's a forensic anthropologist, but she works cases with the cops."

Homicide detective Luc Claudel, Detective Andrew Ryan work, and others work. A forensic anthropologist is an expert witness

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2966 comments I would think bail bondsman would be considered a law enforcement profession but Morelli works for the book I am going to read.

message 13: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments What about Indivisible by Kristen Heitzmann ?

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kate wrote: "I'm guessing that Monday Mourning and the other Temperance Brennan books will work? She's a forensic anthropologist, but she works cases with the cops."

Homicide detecti..."

Okay, Thanks! I thought it would be okay, but wanted to double check.

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "What about Indivisible by Kristen Heitzmann?"

Police Chief Jonah Westfall works

message 16: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Thanks! I've been watching all day how hectic it must get for the mods as we keep bugging you with the "will this work?" questions. Thanks for all the hard work. :-)

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "Thanks! I've been watching all day how hectic it must get for the mods as we keep bugging you with the "will this work?" questions. Thanks for all the hard work. :-)"

Thanks for the kind words. It's a fun day, but it does keep us on our toes

message 18: by Felina (new)

Felina Dlmrose wrote: "Felina wrote: "I'm wanting to do The Bone Collector. This works right?"

"police detective Amelia Sachs at his side" qualifies"

Great. Thanks!

message 19: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Will a futuristic police procedural work? I'm thinking specifically of one of the Lt. Eve Dallas "In Death" books by J.D. Robb.

message 20: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would The Postcard Killers work?

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments ohh good excuse to read another jd robb

message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

KarenF wrote: "Will a futuristic police procedural work? I'm thinking specifically of one of the Lt. Eve Dallas "In Death" books by J.D. Robb."

They will

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Would The Postcard Killers work?"

NYPD detective Jacob Kanon works

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments Will a sheriff work? Giving Chase

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Angie wrote: "Will a sheriff work? Giving Chase"

yes

message 26: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Dlmrose wrote: "KarenF wrote: "Will a futuristic police procedural work? I'm thinking specifically of one of the Lt. Eve Dallas "In Death" books by J.D. Robb."

They will"

Perfect - Thanks!

message 27: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Angie wrote: "Will a sheriff work? Giving Chase"

Angie, I really liked that one!

message 28: by JennRenee (last edited Nov 21, 2011 01:11PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will this work The Dying Breath in the previous books she and her father works with the town sheriff to solve crimes. One of the main characters Justin works for the sheriffs office and has a relationship with the main character.

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "will this work The Dying Breath in the previous books she and her father works with the town sheriff to solve crimes. One of the main characters Justin works for the sheriffs office ..."

That works- Justin is a deputy

message 30: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments If you like medieval historical references and France, I highly recommend Fred Vargas's Commisaire Adamsberg series. It doesn't really matter where you start in the series.

message 31: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments What about prison guards? They aren't on the streets the way police officers are, but I'd consider them law enforcement professionals.

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Joanna wrote: "What about prison guards? They aren't on the streets the way police officers are, but I'd consider them law enforcement professionals."

Sure, Dept of Corrections is on the state law enforcement list

message 33: by N. (last edited Nov 23, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

N. (nonodisco) | 203 comments Would Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders work for this? The author was an attorney on the Manson trial-- not a law-enforcement official-- but the LAPD are in charge of the investigation detailed in the book.

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Nonodisco wrote: "Would Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders work for this? The author was an attorney on the Manson trial-- not a law-enforcement official-- but the LAPD are in charge ..."

True crime works- the investigation is significant

message 35: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments So the upcoming RIna Lazarus/Peter Decker book Gun Games would work because Peter is a police officer, yes?

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Cindie wrote: "So the upcoming RIna Lazarus/Peter Decker book Gun Games would work because Peter is a police officer, yes?"

Yes, it would

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Would Dying for Chocolate work? I believe that her boyfriend is a police officer.

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "Would Dying for Chocolate work? I believe that her boyfriend is a police officer."

If he's involved in the investigation it works

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Would Dying for Chocolate work? I believe that her boyfriend is a police officer."

If he's involved in the investigation it works"

Okay. I am pretty sure that he is, but I haven't read it yet. If it ends up not fitting, I will find another task to fit the book into!

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Would Dying for Chocolate work? I believe that her boyfriend is a police officer."

If he's involved in the investigation it works"

Okay. I am pret..."

Great
I think it works, but it has been years since I read #2

message 41: by Carla (new)

Carla Ruffer (hpaddict) | 118 comments bit of a stretch here, but thought I would ask. In The Eyre Affair the main character is a police officer in an alternate universe. She is a literary detection detective. In this alternate universe there are many different branches of the police. Would this work?

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Carla wrote: "bit of a stretch here, but thought I would ask. In The Eyre Affair the main character is a police officer in an alternate universe. She is a literary detection detective. In this alter..."

SpecOps works :) a fictional equivalent of the Metropolitan Police Service

message 43: by Carla (new)

Carla Ruffer (hpaddict) | 118 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Carla wrote: "bit of a stretch here, but thought I would ask. In The Eyre Affair the main character is a police officer in an alternate universe. She is a literary detection detective...."

thanks! glad I asked

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments would either The Ice Princess or The Surrogate work here?

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

Sarah wrote: "would either The Ice Princess or The Surrogate work here?"

They would work
The Ice Princess from a description "police detective Patrik Hedström"

The Surrogate Detective Inspector Philip Brennan

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Sarah wrote: "would either The Ice Princess or The Surrogate work here?"

They would work
The Ice Princess from a description "police detective Patrik ..."

thanks

message 47: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Will A Wicked Snow work? The main character is a CSI. Thanks!

message 48: by Dlmrose (new)

Jayme VA wrote: "Will A Wicked Snow work? The main character is a CSI. Thanks!"

It works, according to the author's website there are many law enforcement characters

message 49: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Yep, now that I'm into it it's all about the law- it's an awesome book so far! Thanks for your response.