fiction files redux discussion

What's Next?????

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Elizabeth (RedBrick) | 221 comments Mod
So, as a result of this amazing literary family, I have read a lot of the fiction files authors' library. Evison, McCrae, Loory, Pecqueur and Kilgallon. I'm sure that there are more authors and more to come from this list.... Meanwhile...

I've had at least one bottle of wine. I know I am going to be up in the middle of the night, and I wish I had a group read to carry me through to morning.

Who is going to lead the next group read? What will it be?

message 2: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Sounds like fun, and i'ts been a while since our last group read. Should we gather suggestions again, and vote on something? Or someone could just assert that "x" is what we are reading. As long as it's not Phillip Roth, I'll be there!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Guterson | 15 comments Add me to your FF author list!

message 4: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
How about Ubik? I've got a pretty serious thing for PKD lately, and Ray Bradbury as well.

message 5: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (brooklyn-reads) | 20 comments Is the Loory Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day? Because I'm dying to read it.

message 6: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "So, as a result of this amazing literary family, I have read a lot of the fiction files authors' library. Evison, McCrae, Loory, Pecqueur and Kilgallon. I'm sure that there are more authors and mo..."

I wish we could Like posts here. Because I love this one.

message 7: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Don't worry, Patty, I won't knowingly suggest any more testoster-writers. :) At least not right now.

I would love to read PKD or Bradbury with you, Shel. I haven't read Ubik. Valis was very interesting. I intend to read Borges or DeLillo, if something else doesn't get chosen.

Glad you chimed in, Mary! I am still discovering everyone's work. I added your books to my to read shelf.

Claudia... Yes, it is Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day. He should have named it "Stories You'll Wish You Could Memorize In Entirety." You'll love it.

message 8: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Patty, have you been considering any literary frontiers? That is if you have any left :).

message 9: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
Claudia wrote: "Is the Loory Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day? Because I'm dying to read it."

That's our Ben! And you SHOULD read it! Immediately!

message 10: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
yes claudia, you should read it immediately!! :)

man, i haven't been around here in a while... how's everybody doing?

message 11: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Hmmm, literary frontiers? I'm cautiously approaching Anthony Trollope, but none aside from that.

(Hi Ben! Where've you been?)

message 12: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (brooklyn-reads) | 20 comments ha, thanks kerry, elizabeth and ben! i'm starting it tonight :)

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Guterson | 15 comments thank you Elizabeth!

message 14: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Three books from my to-read list that might be interesting to read as a group:

Parrot and Olivier in Americawhich I picked up because in an issue of the Times Literary Supplement from early this year, they asked a couple of dozen writers what there favorite book of 2010 was, and about half of them named this book.

The Time It Never Rainedwhich I picked up because someone here in the FF had posted a list of the best Westerns of all time, and I think this was at the top of the list.

Hunting in Harlemwhich I picked up because Patrick said Mat Johnson's writing reminds him a little of Percival Everett, and because I liked the synopsis on the dust jacket.

Do any of those appeal to any of you? Other suggestions for a group read?

message 15: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

These all sound great, but that sentiment doesn't really get us anywhere! :) How about Parrot and Oliver in America? I've had a lot of good luck with books associated with the Booker.

Also, I read Blood Meridian a couple of months ago. That one certainly is more than enough western to last for a while.

Any other takers? Thanks so much, Patty. Looking forward to reading something together!!

message 16: by Hugh, aka Hugh the Moderator (new)

Hugh | 271 comments Mod
If someone wants to moderate "Parrot and Olivier in America", I'm in!

I'd also be happy to moderate "Ubik" if folks want to jump into that one.

It's been a while and think I need to re-engage.

message 17: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

That Parrot and Olivier book sounds interesting. I am in. I have been reading super-duper-heavy-universal-truth stuff for a long time now.

Time for some STORIES.

I'm in on Ubik too.

message 18: by Hugh, aka Hugh the Moderator (new)

Hugh | 271 comments Mod
Wait! Parrot and Olivier contains no super duper universal truths?! Well, hell.

message 19: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

All right! We reeled in Shel, Patty, Hugh and myself on Parrot and Oliver, right? Let's just start a thread. This is the season where we forget all about moderation anyway.

As for truth, I have to admit that I haven't learned a damn thing from my real life parrot. Literary parrots, however, have been very entertaning. That guy from Confederacy of Dunces will be a tough act to follow.

If you guys would rather have a more guided group read, let's take Hugh up on his offer and do Ubik.

message 20: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Elizabeth, I can't wait to see you at the show and after party. Because there is no moderation there, either. It will be a glorious mess.

I have to get P&O and will join as soon as it's in my hands.

You can't HANDle the TRUTH. Sorry. That one just slipped right out.

message 21: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Elizabeth, will you start the thread? I have a copy already, so you all just let me know when you are ready for P&O. Yay!

message 22: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Shel, I'm so glad you guys have a few more shows. It will be great fun to see you on the stage. Just a short (still too long) wait for the Roast of Santa Claus. Yes, after talking to the cast, I feel I have been basically guaranteed a completely moderation free evening. YES!

Also, I want to hear more about this sawzall wielding goddess side of you.

message 23: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

(Oh, man now I'm nervous and actually have to remember my lines. ;)

I LOVE power tools. This is not something everyone knows about me.

When I bought the house I asked them to leave the fully functional carpentry workshop in place. No go. No table saw for Shel.)

message 24: by Hugh, aka Hugh the Moderator (new)

Hugh | 271 comments Mod
I've got the book -- and am loving the first chapter. Very Tristam Shandy-esque.

message 25: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

I read this review and thought this would also be a fun one to read together...

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/20/1371726...

message 26: by Hugh, aka Hugh the Moderator (new)

Hugh | 271 comments Mod
I have a copy of "State of Wonder" in my To Read pile so I'm ready. A friend of mine raved about it -- and I got it as part of the KCRW Book Club.

message 27: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
When I did that little book recommendation quiz, State of Wonder came up for me.

message 28: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Sure, count me in! Shall we start this one in January?

message 29: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

We have a quorum! And given your post about amazon, Patty, I will be buying it at my favorite local bookstore, Book Table, whose tag line is 'fiercely independent since 1992' (or thereabouts).

message 30: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Hooray!