SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > Worst book you read all year?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments For me, Shadowmancer is a new all-time low in literature. I just cringe whenever I see it under my goodreads history.

message 2: by michelle+8 (last edited Nov 18, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1) by John G. Hartness Hard Day's Knight by John G. Hartness. Not only because it was self-published (and very poorly edited), but because it had huge plot holes and the world and characters were wildly inconsistent. I could barely go five pages without wanting to scream, "What?!? Doesn't that completely contradict what you said LAST CHAPTER??" Then the book ended without resolving one of the MAIN CONFLICTS of the book, and no one even seemed to notice!

My husband loved it. I wanted to throw it across the room.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I have a few 1 star ratings and DNFs but The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu and I am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore were the worst.

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I gave out only one single star rating this year: Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast

But I also had some DNF that I couldn't stand:
Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17) by Janet Evanovich Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) by C.L. Wilson

I can see how Lady of Light and Drink Deep would appeal to some readers. The others (Hexed, Smokin' Seventeen and Marked) were just awful for me and I do not see the appeal.

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ aka Barbara (tirla) Wow...really different tastes..I loved I am number 4 and Hexed and drink deep....I guess you really need to be a fan of the genre to appreciate them...or have read the entire series in the case of drink deep.

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I am a fan of the genre and have read the entire series. :)

message 7: by Patrick (last edited Nov 19, 2011 12:29AM) (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments I was considering reading The Iron Hunt, but I think I've read more than my fair share of UF with badass demon slayers and the like.

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I also think we all just have different tastes. My hated is likely someone's favorite and vice versa. Which is completely okay. :)

message 9: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 171 comments So many people like the Dragonfire series, but I only gave 3 stars to Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) by Deborah Cooke and Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2) by Deborah Cooke . By the time I got to Kiss of Fate (Dragonfire, #3) by Deborah Cooke , it was a DNF for me. My apologies to all the Dragonfire fans out there, but I just couldn't get into the series.

message 10: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments I rarely have ratings under 3★, but so far this year, I've had three:

The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2) by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Rated: 2★, but the other two books in the trilogy rec'd 5★ for #1 and 3★ for #3. This one just didn't fit for me.

Mona Lisa Eclipsing (Monère Children of the Moon, #7) by Sunny
Rated: 2½★ So sad how this series has declined for me. I loved the first couple. Ah, well.

Undead and Undermined (Undead, #10) by MaryJanice Davidson
Rated: 2½★ This is one of my "make it stop" series, so the rating isn't a huge surprise.

message 11: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3543 comments May have been the mood I was in at the time, but American Vampire by Jennifer Armintrout is probably the worst read for me this year.

message 12: by Patrick (last edited Nov 19, 2011 01:29AM) (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments Some other underwhelmings ones were:

Angelfire (Angelfire, #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton
Ok, the premise sounded interesting and the fact that it was YA made it quick to read. But it was like a billion other UFs and to make it worst, it had a high school protagonist. It just seems like one of those annoying high school dramas that are psuedo-Buffy

Huntress by Malinda Lo
This one too, plus Shadowmancer kept me away from YAs from awhile. Nothing interesting really happens and it's not much more than an unconvincing lesbian romance and some sort of evil faerie queen with a lovely cover

Dark Life (Dark Life, #1) by Kat Falls
Ok, well it was cool to win this one for free. Still, another average YA book with some interesting concepts. A minor plot twist in an overall average story. The narration was a bit annoying too.

Christine  by Stephen King
Yeah, not scary at all. Very cheesy when your villian is a car.

Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood
Ok, just not my cup of tea. He plays baseball with his dead brother and there's some sort of romance subplot. I don't get it.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Hands down the worst book I read this year is Heartless by Diana Palmer.
Ridiculous plot, a TSTL heroine and an obnoxious hero.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments I've had 3 DNF books this year. I think it's a new record for me.

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross Delicious Darkness by David Holly Terran One Remember The Commandos by Terri L. Doney

To be honest - I have discovered I'm not a steampunk fan, so that probably had at least something to do with why The Girl in the Steel Corset was DNF. I spilled coffee on it, had to purchase an undamaged copy for a friend, and just didn't like it well enough to continue....

Delicious Darkness was just not my cuppa.....I love M/M books, but not a huge fan of short stories. I few of them were pretty good, but overall they just started to blur together.

Terran One: Remember The Commandos Could not connect with ANY of the characters. The book is HUGE!!!! Made taking it with me to work almost impossible. Had to mail to a friend soon and decided that it wasn't worth trying to slog thru something that big that wasn't compelling in some way.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) Overbite (Insatiable, #2) by Meg Cabot Forever Vampire  by Michele Hauf Graveminder by Melissa Marr

I would not say the worst but these are three that no matter how I tried I could not finish.

message 16: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (tessamc) | 171 comments DNF Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne . I wanted to like it because of the dog, maybe I'll try again later!

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ aka Barbara (tirla) I've heard such mixed reviews on this series Terri...some loved it...and a couple on here hated it.. i own it and don't know if I should move it up the list or leave it closer to the bottom

message 18: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (tessamc) | 171 comments I own it on kindle so if I hit a "dry spell" I will probably try again.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Terri wrote: "DNF Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne. I wanted to like it because of the dog, maybe I'll try again later!"

That was a DNF for me too.

message 20: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (tessamc) | 171 comments Thanx Ames, makes me feel better!

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I did not like #1 and then DNFed 2.

message 22: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2423 comments Peoples tastes do vary: I love the Tairen Soul and Dragonfire series.

I hated: Me, Myself and Why? (Cadence Jones, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 23: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 171 comments Mary wrote: "Peoples tastes do vary: I love the Tairen Soul and Dragonfire series.

I hated:Me, Myself and Why? (Cadence Jones, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson"

I really wanted to like the Dragonfire series. Don't know why I couldn't get into it.

message 24: by Wan (last edited Nov 21, 2011 11:18AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments I have several:

Nom-PNR: Rumors (Luxe, #2) by Anna Godbersen Envy (Luxe, #3) by Anna Godbersen - Uck, I didn't finish the series. Gave them away to my friend's daugther.

Christian: The Negotiator (O'Malley #1) by Dee Henderson -- Boring, totally not my cup of tea.

PNR/Fantasy: The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa -- DNF - may be I'll give it a second chance.

Engaged To The Sheik (Silhouette Romance) by Sue Swift - This was so b(l)a(n)d.

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson - I didn't get the whole thing.

message 25: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Now I'm even more interested in Kevin's series. Love to read those that find themselves rated either high or low. Like to see where I fall in the mix. :)

message 26: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 513 comments Wan, when i read The Negotiator a few years ago, i loved it; it was my favorite in that series. I tried rereading it this year, and it was a DNF.

message 27: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments Lady Jaye wrote: "Wan, when i read The Negotiator a few years ago, i loved it; it was my favorite in that series. I tried rereading it this year, and it was a DNF."

:-)

message 28: by Sophie (new)

Sophie i know som epeople probably disagree with me here, but the worst book i've read this year had to be Matched by Allie Condie. Either that, or Shadow Souls by L.J. Smith.

Heather ~ Marceline | 994 comments The worst book I read this year and the only one I gave 1* to was A Mile in My Flip-Flops A Novel by Melody Carlson . My dislike of of it had nothing to do with it being christian fiction. I gave most of Nauti series by Lora Leigh only 2*'s, and though it was steamy fun, there was a lot of parts I could have done without. I enjoy her Breed books much more. How is that for polar opposites for my dislikes of the year?? :)

message 30: by D.G. (last edited Dec 07, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments I actually haven't had a 1 star this year but have rated 22 books 2 stars and 9 DNFs.

I think I wrote reviews for most of these so feel free to check them out for more specific reasons, LOL!

Most hated book of the year
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth - Lord! I don't know what people see in this book. It has plot holes through the wazoo and an unappealing main character.

Second Place
Dark Prince (Carpathians, #1) by Christine Feehan - Although I understand that this may have been groundbreaking when it came out, it's just not good for a reader now.

Books whose last few chapters made me want to stab the main character to death
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts

DNF
The Shack by William P. Young - Couldn't take it...too saccharine and maudlin.

message 31: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments I'm one of the people that loves the Kevin Hearne series ( Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne ). I read Regina's review and understand some of the points but I still like it. Some of the things that bothered her didn't bother me but then again, I loved Atticus. I really wish there was more UF with guys as main characters.

One thing I found though is that the more I know about a genre, the less likely I'm to be wowed by new popular books. I'm waay more harsh in my reviews for historical romance, mystery and romantic suspense because those are genres I know and have probably seen everything under the sun.

message 32: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (tessamc) | 171 comments Books that make me want to stab the author Inheritance (Inheritance, #4) by Christopher Paolini

Loved the series and this book could have been 5 stars but the author fumbled on the 1 yard line and I cried for what could have been!! So tragic!

message 33: by Kori (new)

Kori Klinzing (peanutbutterlegs) Terri wrote: "Books that make me want to stab the author Inheritance (Inheritance, #4) by Christopher Paolini

Loved the series and this book could have been 5 stars but the author fumbled on the 1 yard line and I cried for what c..."

Totally agree. You can tell that the kid's parents own that publishing company.

For me, it's Night Myst (Indigo Court, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn . I mean, from the "y" in mist you can tell something is up. I hated the main character, and the whole vampire-faerie thing seemed like a desperate attempt to come up with something new and mildly threatening.

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments Kori wrote: "For me, it's Night Myst (Indigo Court, #1). I mean, from the "y" in mist you can tell something is up. "

LOLOLOL, Kori! So true! That's almost always a giveaway.

It's like this book Crave (The Clann #1). That second n in Clan tells you there's something wrong (I thought at first the series was called The Clam...as you can imagine, I was wondering what kind of a series it could be with a name like that, LOL!)

message 35: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LMAO, DG!! I know exactly what made ya mad w/Charley in Second Grave on the Left.